Wiring a 2x12 cab for mono/parallel plus either speaker option?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by johnnyha, May 26, 2016.

1. johnnyha

johnnyha Tele-Afflicted

Dec 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Trying to figure out my options. Any ideas on the simplest way to wire a 2x12 cab with two 16 ohm speakers to play

1) Normal parallel mono mode at 8 ohms (I know how to do this of course) PLUS

2) Ability to play either of the speakers individually at 16 ohms, and also both in stereo at 16 ohms with two amps?

I have seen the three-jack pre-wired mono/stereo jack plate, but it has a third plug specifically for series mono which I obviously do not need or would ever use with 16 ohm speakers operating at 32 ohms. It seems like I could use just two jacks, a switched jack on one side, and plug in a dummy jack plug for individual speaker operation, but this would only give me the option of using one of the speakers. It also just adds more wiring and another jack to the pure simple parallel connection.

Here is the 2x12 8 ohm schematic for the three jack plate which gives the parallel option and the individual/stereo speaker option but with my limited knowledge I'm not sure I understand which are switched jacks and what those middle "NC" jack wires are, and like I said it has the completely unnecessary in this case third jack which would give me 32 ohm series wiring.

schem5.jpg

Is there a simpler way to accomplish 1) and 2)? My current thinking is the simplest approach is one jack and an on/off switch connected to one speaker (instead of the switched jack/dummy plug scenario), and occasionally rotate the speakers so they wear the same. But then I am losing the stereo two amp option which I might want to try out at some point. Any other options?

Perhaps I am overthinking this? :D:D:D

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  2. Dan Spiffy Neuman

Dan Spiffy Neuman Tele-Holic

Apr 4, 2016
    Madison, WI
    Two jacks-- one for each speaker-- and a switch that sums the two speakers (parallel). That's the easiest option.

3. johnnyha

johnnyha Tele-Afflicted

Dec 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    AH! That makes sense Spiffy thanks.

4. johnnyha

johnnyha Tele-Afflicted

Dec 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Aha found this Earcandy option on reverb… a bit pricey but very well made, simple, and metal. No switch though just two jacks and it's pre-wired so I can't mess it up. Went ahead and got one ordered. I'm trying to figure out if it uses a switched jack or what… I am thinking I can use this mono at 8 ohms (left jack) as per instructions, and stereo at 16 ohms each side - but it doesn't mention separate operation at least from what I can see of the instructions in the photo… let's look at the bottom photo wiring, I see mono jack "1" looks like normal parallel (right side in bottom photo)… plug both sides together you get stereo with each operating separately… so that must switch off the jumper wires in the middle… SO jack # 2 should work as a separate speaker cutting off jack #1, and if I use a dummy in jack #2 then jack #1 would work for separate speaker operation and Bob's my uncle! Yeh I think that's how it's done makes sense to me now. Jack #2 is switched, so no need for a switch just use a dummy plug to switch jack #1 mono to separate jack #1. There ya go. Please correct me if I'm wrong y'all… but I think this is the obvious and elegant solution.

102_9063-600x600.jpg
    2.jpg

5. Dan Spiffy Neuman

Dan Spiffy Neuman Tele-Holic

Apr 4, 2016
    Madison, WI
    The right jack is switched. When you plug something into the right jack it eliminates the link between the two.

You lose the option to daisy chain two cabinets together, but otherwise looks like exactly what you need.

johnnyha likes this.
  6. johnnyha

johnnyha Tele-Afflicted

Dec 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Yeh this is EXACTLY it. It's basically wired in parallel at the jacks which is LESS wiring. Both are switched on one side it looks like, but they are only using the one unswitched side in jack 1 so it is actually functioning as unswitched. The beauty of this is there is NO extraneous wiring going on when using either method, the wires go straight to each speaker. VERY nice. And no "wrong plug oops" blowing it up, it works regardless of how you plug it. Just gotta plug the dummy in jack 2 to override the parallel wiring and you get the jack 1 speaker by itself. If ya forget the dummy you get mono at 8 ohms. Plug into both live and get stereo (or use two separate amps in stereo). And just plugging live into jack 2 overrides jack 1 whether it's plugged or not so if it's empty it gives you the separate jack 2 speaker and Voila.

And it's metal. And Neutrik jacks, and OFC pure copper 16 gauge wiring, and handwired point to point silver solder, and tabs for easy speaker switching, and shipped within 24 hours. I got goosebumps.

PS You might even be able to daisy chain it somehow using the unused switched side of jack 1...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.