Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Wireless rig- Thoughts?

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by 68Telebass, Jan 21, 2018.

1. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 15, 2012
    Central PA
    The SHURE GLXD is on my list as well. Thing gets STELLAR reviews. It's going to look smashing in my road case!

broadcaster likes this.
  2. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Cute. Not that you said anything with content or merit. But you proved the ability to name two types of food. Hooray!

Now - what do they have to do with the technical merits - or lack thereof - of wireless systems? Have you analyzed the actual signal that goes in and comes out of any wireless system? Or do you just "not notice any difference", or "like them"? And with what specific gear?

Have anything to say that means something?

3. vkinetic

vkinetic Tele-Meister

Nov 22, 2017
    Bundeena, Sydney, Australia
    Well I was a wireless snob until I encountered another guitarist using one of these:

https://www.artistguitars.com.au/buy/xvive-u2-guitar-wireless-system/70256

At that stage they were only $179AUD. I thought at that price I would get a set and see how it was. That was about 9 months ago now. Absolutely fantastic, completely reliable and the battery (rechargeable via the supplied USB cable) outlasts my bass player's Line 6 G30 - he seems forever running out of battery juice, whereas I get a good 4.5 to 5 hours with mine. I have run out of battery at home when rehearsing (on purpose actually, to completely discharge the battery before recharging) and after replacing the system with a standard guitar lead I hear no perceivable difference in sound or sound quality whatsoever. I'm going to buy another set for backup. I know it sounds unreal at such a cheap price but I wouldn't use anything else....and I am a real stickler for tone.

rogb, broadcaster and puddin like this.
  4. broadcaster

broadcaster Tele-Holic

Oct 16, 2003
    Joliet, Illinois

With a good system like the Line 6 Relay G50, there is no discernable difference, and is perfect for playing live.

As someone once said, "it's only Rock and roll."

5. Sparky2

Sparky2 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 15, 2017
    Harvest, Alabama
    I use the Line 6 G-30, and I must say, after using it at a variety of indoor and outdoor gigs;

It works like a champ.
    No hum, no buzz, and absolutely no sonic difference between it and the high quality guitar cables I would otherwise gig with.

If I concede that it sounds precisely the same as being plugged into the amp with a cable, I would offer these pros and cons:

Pros-
    No cable to trip over
    Freedom to move around
    Makes walking out into the crowd or dance floor for sound-checking a breeze

Cons-
    You MUST keep fresh batteries in the clip-on unit
    There is no subtle fade-off in sound when the batteries die, it just all of a sudden stops working
    The useable range (distance from the receiver unit plugged into the amp) seems to be around 30 meters

That last bit isn't actually much of a con, since very few of us play on stages so huge that 30 meters would be a problem.

;)

broadcaster likes this.
  6. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Holic

I tried a couple wireless systems a long time back, a GemSound cheapy, and a Samson top model. Both worked ok for vocals and guitar, neither worked well for bass. Both ran batteries down quickly. Those were the two main limitations, battery and bass.

I'm looking at another forum, and the G30 is working fine for regular bassists, for $179, advertised to last 8 hrs on a set of AAs. That would work for me. I like the compactness of the G10 (don't think there is a G110), but problems of noise and interference are reported.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  7. stax

stax Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2006
    Brentwood U.K.
    I can definitely hear a difference betwen my G30 and a decent cable and although wireless is handy occasionally I prefer the sound of cables.

8. vkinetic

vkinetic Tele-Meister

Nov 22, 2017
    Bundeena, Sydney, Australia
    ....and I've just come across these:

9. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Back when wireless units still used smoke signals, I had a Nady Wireless 3D. I was very happy with it, and even though it was far from state-of-the-art even for its time, I thought it worked great. The receiver and antennas fit inside the back of my combo amp, so it was a real stealth rig too. I mostly had it because I was also the sound man for the band, and used it to wander about to check the mix in various parts of the room. I also appreciated the convenience of not having a cord to tangle around my feet, or accidentally unplug, or break.

And it sounded pretty much just like a cord to me. I just had to adjust the output level on the receiver to match the output of the guitar (one-time task).

But eventually (and thankfully) I gave up sound man duty, and the switch on the transmitter went bad, and I just kinda fell back into using a cord. It was cool, but I don’t really miss it, and don’t have the desire for another one.

the end.

10. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    Bassist friend bought a new Line 6 recently and returned it immediately. Didnt like it at all.
    Best I know of were the Digital Reference 2000 or 3000 series. Then they became Audio Technica. Heavy duty robust stuff. Not 4 oz of plastic.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.