Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Wireless rig- Thoughts?

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by 68Telebass, Jan 21, 2018.

1. 68Telebass

68Telebass Tele-Afflicted

Aug 2, 2014
    Northern Arizona
    I CRUSHED my American Football fantasy league (yes, I had Todd Gurley and Kareem Hunt in my backfield..haha) and find myself with some cash .
    With blessings from wife and encouragement from bandmates I plan on spending a bit of it on a wireless rig.
    Bandmates have Line 6 G110 (I think) and recommend it- a little north of $100US I believe-
    Any thoughts or experiences that may guide my decision??
    Thanks!- Carl

2. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    I have a Samson wireless sytem for microphone and I discovered that for an additional 20.00 I could get a guitar to transmitter cable to allow me to use the my guitar with the wireless system ,BONUS

congrats on the winfall!

68Telebass likes this.

3. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 7, 2009
    Ballard
    I've been playing in the shallow end of the pool -
    First effort - a Gemini wireless VHF system, on close-out w/ a cool feature of Lapel, head-set or guitar input (hence the model name - "triple play").
    Sadly, the noise factor was unacceptable, even for a hillbilly like me.
    Returning the unit was a challenge - in the course of it, I learned a bit about how this particular model was a crushing failure (duh)
    Last year, I surfed Reverb.com for longer than I want to admit.
    Finally found a guy who wanted to unload a UHF system, made by Hisonic.
    https://reverb.com/item/5381642-hisonic-hs-u302-uhf-2-channel-wireless-receiver

Yes, it would probably make sense if I actually dedicated an actual budget to this project, but, here we are...
    So, it's a 2 input system, allowing for headset mic and guitar input, w/ two body-packs and two levels and the option of balanced and unbalanced output from the receiver to board/amp.

Pro-quality?
    Hardly, but no actual budget.
    Suggestions: Have a budget. Don't go VHF.
    And, keep posting, so I can do better next time.

Peace - Deeve

68Telebass likes this.

4. marshman

marshman Friend of Leo's

Feb 1, 2007
    SE PA
    I have a pretty nice Boss unit that's about 25 years old, and every time I overhaul my rig, I reinstall it, but I don't actually move around that much, and as I'm also in charge of the band PA, there are always going to be a slew of cables around me, so I don't really use it that much.

It also turns out that the frequency range this older unit uses has since been 'reassigned' to other entities...law enforcement or some such!

68Telebass likes this.

5. broadcaster

broadcaster Tele-Holic

Oct 16, 2003
    Joliet, Illinois
    Line 6 Relay G50. Flawless operation with clear sound. I put the transmitters in Neotech medium pouches. G50RELAYEBAYPRO_1.jpg.cf.jpg

Wyzsard and 68Telebass like this.

6. ecoast

ecoast Tele-Meister

Jan 6, 2017
    NWNJ
    I use g30; receiver mounted on board...

rechargeable aa @ 1.6vdc

7. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    My only advice - use a wireless only if you absolutely need it.

LocoTex and fidopunk like this.

8. adamsappel

adamsappel Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Jun 8, 2008
    Maryland
    I have a Line 6 G10 and have never had a problem with it. I don't gig, but I don't know that I would trust the mini-USB power plug to stay in during one. When the receiver gets an internal battery or a locking plug it will be perfect.

9. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Tele-Meister

Feb 2, 2018
    St. Louis
    Really only two choices for bass. Either the newer Shure (GLXD?) or one of the Line 6 models. I have put thousands of rehearsals and hundreds of gigs on my G50 and it has been flawless. Sounds as good as my Mogami Golds. Bass is different than guitar. Don’t cheap out or you’ll regret it.

RyCo1983, broadcaster and 68Telebass like this.

10. Agreed! bass wireless, if you go for a bargain-priced one, can experience a fizz sound when notes die out...not good if that happens.

broadcaster and 68Telebass like this.

11. tomtama

tomtama TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Jul 23, 2016
    Taunton
    I love my Shure GLXD16. The receiver fits on a pedalboard and the transmitter has a rechargeable battery the actually lasts for up to 16 hours on a charge. The reception is very good and the sound quality is excellent. I use it for both guitar and bass.

Wyzsard, RyCo1983 and sjruvolo like this.

12. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Tele-Meister

Feb 2, 2018
    St. Louis
    Plus on those cheap units you lose a lot of low end signal.

broadcaster likes this.

13. 68Telebass

68Telebass Tele-Afflicted

Aug 2, 2014
    Northern Arizona
    Thanks guys!
    Haven’t pulled trigger yet- I might just stay “wired” as I don’t really jump around much!
    p.s. I used the football windfall to take the grandkids to see Coyotes hockey game down in Phoenix- they had great time, and met Howler on his “birthday”. They shut out the Oilers 1-0! IMG_2005.JPG lol

14. broadcaster

broadcaster Tele-Holic

Oct 16, 2003
    Joliet, Illinois
    Explain please....

15. rogb

rogb Tele-Holic

Jan 3, 2012
    London, England
    I've been using the latest Xvive system for electric and acoustic, seems to work well, no interference, can't discern any latency or tone suck. It's plastic and sticks out of your guitar so may not last forever... but it was £124 so reasonably priced.
    For acoustic, I plug it straight into my active DI>guitar and it sounds fine.
    Charges via USB quickly
    https://www.jhs.co.uk/products/effects-electronics/xvive-wireless-systems

I got mine from a place in the UK called Worldwide Music, nice folks to deal with

puddin likes this.

16. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Tele-Meister

Feb 2, 2018
    St. Louis

I disagree completely. Once I went wireless I can count the times I used a cable in rehearsal or on stage on one hand.

broadcaster and INFANT like this.

17. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Meister

Apr 12, 2011
    Stoney Creek, Ontario
    I've been wireless for about 7 or 8 years. Started with a cheap Sennheiser system but finally bought a Line 6 G30 a few years back. So my bass player tried my Sennheiser and he was converted too...he also bought a G30. Then the 2 horn players joined us. Love seeing the looks on people faces when the 4 of us go out and join them all on the dance floor. Too bad the drummer a keyboard player can't join in the fun!

broadcaster likes this.

18. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    If you need the freedom to move around that much wireless is fun.

What NO wireless system does is process the same guitar signal that entered the transmitter. That comes out is something different - a "broadcast" that's been processed by two more amplifiers, both solid-state - one in the transmitting unit and one in the receiver.

You have added two solid-state preamps to your signal AND removed signal flow that a cable provides. Do the electronic transmissions going through air - and people, and other objects - provide the same positive and constant signal flow as a cable? Does it provide as high-quality a signal as a good cable? An audiophile-level one:? A $7 Reverb special? Do you even know?

To clarify - it might sound just fine. And it will to 99% of the audience as long as it doesn't cut out.

But they ALL change the sound, and not in a positive way. My point is "why degrade the signal if you don't HAVE to?" Even a small amount.

If they work for you - great. When I was gigging there were plenty of times I used them.

But only when necessary.

19. rogb

rogb Tele-Holic

Jan 3, 2012
    London, England
    I agree with you on most of that. Once the drummer starts, then "tone" takes a back seat IME.
    At home, when it's quiet and through my #1 rig with #1 guitar, I was sure I could hear a difference in the sound, but out in the world, I love the convenience of wireless, of being able to move around, get out front to hear the balance.

Once you get used to it, it's difficult to go back to the cable. Funnily enough, I just had my Neutrik Silent plug fail on me, the lead I used all the time before wireless. I think it has a glass reed switch inside and it got bumped once too often. so even hard-wired tech can go pfffft on you.

Silverface and 68Telebass like this.

20. broadcaster

broadcaster Tele-Holic

Oct 16, 2003
    Joliet, Illinois
    Baloney sausage. You must be awfully fun at a party

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.