Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Wired & built just like the originals

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by GuitarJonz, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Not really....and I am sure that a bid of $312.50 would be rejected. However, if it walked in, I might give that for it....if someone would take that for it. There has to be that much in parts there, right? I would buy it knowing that a total rewire would be necessary. IMHO, the builder of this amp needs either to suffer a loss due to the bad work or to realize the necessity of a rewiring of the circuit. This could and perhaps should be a learning experience for the person would put it together. However, it is more likely that some unsuspecting would will give enough so that the ‘builder’ will recoup the cost of the project and will continue to throw stuff together...and to call him/herself an amp builder.

telemnemonics likes this.

2. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Invoice:

1 cup home-ground, freshly brewed Kona coffee - $2.83

1 refurbished Mac bluetooth keyboard - 88.27

1 Mickey Dora white T-Thirt w/graphics, XXL - 17.49

1 Gal bleach (trying to get the *#$@%& Kona coffee stain out of the Mickey Dora T-shirt, unsuccessfully) - $.99

Total - $109.58

Make it an even hundred - "repeat offender" discount. You have my Paypal address from the LAST time you did this to me!

:lol:

3. Silverface

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    And FWIW I'd pay $312.50 for it. The cabinet, chassis and transformers Weber sells with their kits aren't bad. The copper cap rectifier is a changeable part as are all the tubes,a and it wouldn't take that long to rewire the thing properly. He may even have gotten lucky and ended up with only a little extraneous noise.

But - this is a great example of someone building a perfectly functional kit who probably has not a single clue about electronics that he hasn't read on a guitar-oriented forum...or in a Gerald Weber book.

Considering how unGodly loud these are it's doubtful those Sig 10's will ever get hit with enough signal to hurt them. They *are* very over-engineered, btw. I happen to like the alnico versions in vintage Fender tweed-types, as they are close in intent to the Jensens Leo used - cheap, functional and good sounding.

The ceramics aren't too bad either, although they probably make this thing sound like somebody is smashing a vintage Coke bottle with a sledgehammer.....

4. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    For $300 it would be worth it just for the parts.
    Tube alone are probably almost a C note.

5. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    I think he must not own wire cutters....

-------------

I'm running a copper cap in my Twin, but that was to drop my voltages down to line up with the schematics.... I actually kinda like my copper cap. I am no longer in a panic to find a good quality GZ34 (although I am running the equivalent CC to a 5r4 to drop more voltage).

I would debate the "and sounds every bit as good as any of them". Although, I bet it might sound decent?

The other issue is, not only is it $650, it's also $150 in shipping.... So, really, it's $800.

6. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    The Sig 10 series has its applications. I use a 10A-S in my SCX2 and it's not as ratty as the smooth cone. It lets me crank the amp, but is inefficient enough that it doesn't blow me out of the room. It has a warm clean to about half volume and fattens after that. C.J. said that it's rated for 15 Watts, but has a 25 Watt voice coil.

7. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Holic

Sep 19, 2011
    Michigan
    Would you please pass the garlic bread and Parmesan cheese.:)
    Spaghetti Factory.

8. Silverface

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    The preamp tube won't change the power output.

What it will do is change the gain structure and amount of distortion. With a lower gain tube the volume control might have to be set higher to reach a given power output but the maximum power can't be increased beyond the capabilities of the power amp.

But the more distortion there is in the output the higher the power handling needs to be. Distortion skews power handling, which is normally based on an undistorted signal.

Wally likes this.

9. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Meister

Jun 17, 2017
    Edmonton, Alberta Canada
    I'd be embarrassed to show my work if it was like that.

I wonder if he is proud of what he hath wrought? :lol:

10. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    The funniest thing about this is that if Joe "Bonna" Massa of Erik "John" Stone had extra wire length in their maps people would be raving about teh toanz for dayz they get out of it.

11. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    It is also doubtful that the person ever really saw a properly wired circuit. They may have looked at one, but they did not SEE it.

Silverface likes this.

12. Silverface

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    No.

Too much typing.

They'd use - "Killer tone!!!" - the most perfectly descriptive phrase ever applied to guitar amplification.

:lol:

noah330 likes this.

13. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    Plays like buttah!

14. OneHenry

OneHenry Tele-Holic

Apr 16, 2018
    North carolina
    Unlimited free salad and breadsticks?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.