Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Wire terminal help

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by atomfissure, Dec 15, 2016.

1. atomfissure

atomfissure Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 31, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Help me out here real quick. I'm swapping out speakers and took a "before" picture so I know where to put everything back. I noticed the wire connecting the two speakers to each other are white-negative, black-positive. However, it looks like the wire connecting the speaker to the amp is black negative, white-positive. This is the before picture, mind you so this isn't my error, but what should I make of this? The tech who worked on it most recently made the new wiring harness you see pictures. Is it possible that he just switched them in the connector vs. the wire connecting the speakers? Should I assume that is how it's supposed to be? What happens if it's wrong?

2. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Holic

Jul 1, 2008
    california
    first would be to call the tech and ask since that is who did the wiring. second, you may want to check the speaker with a 1 1/2volt battery to see which way the speaker moves. first is much more important tho. normally the black goes to negative but don't assume that.

play music!

3. atomfissure

May 31, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I've called this tech with questions several times and he has yet to call me back, hence why I'm trying to figure it out on my own…

4. atomfissure

May 31, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    What's this battery technique?

5. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2007
    Glen Head, NY
    If negative on one speaker is connected to negative on the other speaker, the color of the wire won't matter and the battery test will show both speakers moving in (or out) the same way when you connect the battery. However my opinion is the prior wiring is a sloppy job and invites a mistake for a speaker repair or replacement.

6. atomfissure

May 31, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I suppose my concern is more the wire that connects the speaker to the speaker jack being of correct polarity, right?

7. atomfissure

May 31, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    [​IMG]
    I opened up the jack. Looks like the white is wired to positive.

8. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement
    Your main concern is total load presented to the transformer.
    Gives me a headache to look
    Are the two speakers in series or parallel?

9. atomfissure

May 31, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Parallel

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016

10. atomfissure

May 31, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    So, it looked to me like the white wire on the connector is positive and the black is ground. So I switched the wires connecting the speakers to one another so that the white wire connected the two positive terminals, and the black connects the two negative. Further confusion is abated, and I already like the "new" speakers better. They were actually the originals, but the previous owner had ragin cajuns in there, which as it turns out I don't like.

So I think problem solved. Thanks!

Wally likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.