Wire for pots?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by MilspecII, May 23, 2019.

1. MilspecII

MilspecII TDPRI Member

Got new pots and 3way switch to replace in my squier telecaster bullet, but now I need some wire, does it have to be shielded push back wire to be spec? Or can I use any old plain Jane wire, and if so what gauge?

2. Muinarc

Muinarc Tele-Meister

It can be whatever you want it to be as long as it all fits in the control cavity. I think people tend to aim for 22-24 gauge wire.

radarman and gkterry like this.
  3. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

got any old cars around?.. plenty of different coloured wires in those..;)

LutherBurger and Mexitele Blues like this.
  4. MrYeats

MrYeats Tele-Meister

shielded wire is best especially from the op jack to ground and hot. It helps fight off single coil noise.

5. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Meister

I just rewired mine over the weekend with unshielded 22awg, no noise.

MrYeats likes this.
  6. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

I use shielded wire to the jack only. I've never had to purchase it because I have too many unused RCA cables lying around.

For everything else I just use 22AWG plastic-insulated, stranded wire from Radio Shack -- the cheap stuff.

MrYeats likes this.
  7. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Any not too bulky decent wire is fine. Why not use what was in the Squier? I like shielded on the input jack too. But some guitars are just quiet anyway.

8. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

no guitars/amps buzz at my place or anywhere else I plug them in around here...... I never worry about shielding...

an old flouro sits quietly right above my twin...;)

MrYeats likes this.
  9. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Shielded wire from RCA patch cables from the volume pot to the jack is about half the idle noise of the typical guitar. Cavity shielding gets the other half.
    Some people drive around without their seat belts on and have no problems o_O I don't risk it.

If you don't think you need shielded cable then just lay out generic speaker wire to connect the guitar to the amp.

"Cloth pushback wire" is not shielded wire by the way. You need metal wrapped. Like television coax cable you might be familiar with or higher end pickup lead wires, and so on. Grounded metal shield around the hot wire. "Twisted Pair" is also not a solution in a guitar.

I refurbished a Teisco Tulip recently and the wires they used for pickups and general connections is the smallest wire I've ever seen in a guitar.

MrYeats likes this.
  10. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

Whenever I see an old computer power supply laying around, I cut the wiring harness off of it.

I dont think I've used anything else in 20 years.

radarman, ftbtx, hellopike and 2 others like this.
  11. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

The next time I have the soldering iron out, I might try that just for S&G. :)

MrYeats likes this.
  12. SuprHtr

SuprHtr TDPRI Member

When I replaced the pots and switch in my Tribute ASAT, I was surprised to find that G&L used shielded wire between the volume pot and the switch AND between the volume pot and the tone pot. I reused those wires. The new shielded lead from the volume pot to the jack had the shielding exposed, which caused some unintended grounding when I first put everything back together. First, the tone pot acted like a volume pot, then it killed ALL output. After I wrapped the exposed shielding with electrical tape, all was well. Eventually, I may replace the tape with heat shrink, but for now, I’m just enjoying playing it.

radarman likes this.
  13. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

? Why do you say that ? Lace p-ups and others use it. Just for show ?

I use sheilded wire for everything when possible. I haven t lately because the thin kind from Radio Shack is no longer available. I m adding it to my get-on-line list.

14. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I use that fancy schmancy cloth covered stuff because no stripping, it's usually pretinned, and I can twist them together for places like running to the output jack.

I only use shielded coax stuff in hollow bodies and semi hollowbodies where I don't have shielded cavities.

15. Telecentric

Telecentric Tele-Meister

cloth pushback is awesome. Pre tinned and no worry about accidentally clipping a strand or 2 when stripping.

What 'spec' are you referring to?

16. Orpingtons

Orpingtons Tele-Meister

Cloth covered wire is the way to go, 100%! It looks the part, it's easy to work with... can't go wrong. Oh, and it comes in different vintage colors! There's something very satisfying when you wire a guitar using cloth covered wire.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.