Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Wipe on poly on African Mahogany question.

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by 1bad914, Aug 7, 2017.

1. 1bad914

1bad914 Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2016
    Michigan
    I am up to at least 12 coats of wipe on poly on the mahogany body. My intent was to go with the flat high gloss over the natural color. I guess I should have used grain filler, I attempted a method that used 1500 grit to sand in the first couple of coats. It is supposed to act as a grain filler, well if it was a tighter grained wood it may work. I have tried multiple methods to flatten/sand it since I noticed the grain still very prevalent after 5 coats. 400 dry, 600 wet, steel wool....it is better, but I think I have come to the conclusion that I need to stop piling it on and let it set a few days. Then wet sand and buff and live with the grain. Or I pile on more until I overwhelm it. Any advice?? IMG_4612.JPG
    After 2-3 coats.

2. 1bad914

1bad914 Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2016
    Michigan
    IMG_4621.JPG
    After at least 12 coats, probably more. Will weigh 14 pounds soon with all this poly.

3. 1bad914

1bad914 Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2016
    Michigan
    IMG_4622.JPG
    The neck is coming out great.

4. TigerG

TigerG Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Aug 14, 2015
    Nashville
    Maybe you just need more coats. I used Minwax wipe on poly on a pickguard I cut from an old LP; after some many countless counts (a dozen or more) the grooves in the vinyl were completely filled and I was able to sand it very smooth. The experience led me to believe that wipe on poly ought to make a good grain filler, but I haven't tried it.

5. Sean_D

Sean_D Tele-Meister

Jul 12, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    If you've got 12 coats of poly on there, get some 400-grit paper and a sanding block and sand it back a little. See if you can sand out those grain depressions.

6. Peltogyne

Peltogyne Tele-Afflicted

Oct 29, 2012
    Northern California
    The neck looks great, I do like the un tinted look.

The grain fill looks like it's working too. I use a water based brush on poly and 12 coats is not too much. I did about 50 coats total on a sparkle job from start to finish. That sounds like a lot but brushing waterbased is so easy and simple I think it's still easier than spraying. As mentioned above a bit of block sanding (I would use 600 grit wet) will make it look like glass. I tend to sand every few coats but lightly. I sand until about half the surface has been hit and avoid sharp corners.

7. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Dec 31, 2009
    Queensland Australia
    I think one tip with wipe on poly Tru Oil etc. is to apply the first few coats with 180/240 grit abrasive paper to "slurry" the sanded powder with the poly-wipe to form the grain filler. I have done that with Tru-Oil a few times and it seems to work.

DC

8. Peltogyne

Peltogyne Tele-Afflicted

Oct 29, 2012
    Northern California
    While that does fill the grain quicker it also mixes sawdust in your finish which will act like a pigment.

9. 1bad914

1bad914 Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2016
    Michigan
    Thanks for all the advice. I let it set a week and am about 7 coats into the 9 or so I will apply. Then I will adhere to the advice from this forum and let it dry for at least a week. I think that also effected the sand through. I waited 2 days.
    I also like the non-tinted neck. As I look at it I think I may add a couple more coats of poly. It has 5 now. Not sure. Do you wet sand and rub these also? Also do you poly up to the top of the fretboard, I stopped where the rosewood meets the maple. Mistake????

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.