Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Wipe on poly not drying

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by 1bad914, Aug 29, 2017.

1. 1bad914

1bad914 Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2016
    Michigan
    The wipe on poly I put on the neck does not seem to want to dry. The maple part is solid, the area on the edge of the rosewood fretboard is still kind of tacky after 5 days. Thoughts?

2. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Did you clean the rosewood edges with naphtha (or lighter fluid) before applying the poly? If not - even if you did - you have oil contamination in your finish. Even if it's been played much at all it will have hand oils in the rosewood, and all fretboard conditioners have oil in them

You can try naphtha (standard Ronson or another lighter fluid - not charcoal lighter - is basically the same thing). It should take the finish and oil off - sort of. It will take some elbow grease, and the edges of your neck finish between the maple and rosewood will likely be damaged. It will be very difficult to touch up - some uneven parts will be unavoidable.

The edges of rosewood 'boards are seldom finished. Common practice is to mask along the rosewood/maple border as virtually all rosewood boards have oils in them - hand oils soak in deeply over time and prevent finish curing permanently

3. 1bad914

1bad914 Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2016
    Michigan
    I did it first with it taped off then looked at other guitars and noticed it finished. So I did it again. I used a grease and oil remover that I typically use before I paint a car. It works very well in most cases. I will just let it go, as long as it dies not get sticky I will leave it.

4. markeyd123

markeyd123 Tele-Meister

Jun 27, 2017
    USA
    Not sure if this applies to the product you are using, but see below. Also, I heard that air flow assists with the drying, and humidity level. Is it very humid by you right now?

https://www.popularwoodworking.com/article/the_7_myths_of_polyurethane

MYTH #4:
    Thinning with naphtha makes polyurethane dry faster. Naphtha evaporates much faster than mineral spirits or turpentine. So the logic behind this myth, which is fairly new, is that the finish will dry faster if the thinner evaporates faster.

But, like all varnishes, polyurethane dries in two steps. The first is evaporation of the thinner. The second (and much longer) step is the curing, which is the crosslinking brought about by the introduction of oxygen from the air.

When you apply polyurethane, you notice that it stays wet on the surface for a short time as the thinner evaporates. Then the finish goes into a tacky or sticky stage for an hour or longer. This is the length of time it takes for the oxygen-induced crosslinking to occur. Adding a faster-evaporating thinner doesn’t speed this crosslinking.

El Tele Lobo likes this.

5. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Do you have any idea what solvents are in it? FWIW materials like that can sometimes cause damage to stained or coated wood surfaces, or prevent other materials from penetrating or drying properly. Car finish isn't wood and fretboard edges aren't remotely the same as metal or auto primers/finishes. Always know exactly what you are using and how it will affect things.

6. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2007
    Glen Head, NY
    What exactly is in your degreaser? I wouldn't clean the wood with anything that hasn't been tested as a reducer or thinner in the finish you're using. It may have caused a contamination that will not allow the wipe-on varnish to dry.

7. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    Was your product thoroughly mixed before application?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.