Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Wipe on poly natural tint.

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by 1bad914, Aug 31, 2017.

1. 1bad914

1bad914 Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2016
    Michigan
    I am sure that someone has done 'this already, but for those contemplating using wipe on poly and are wondering if it will naturally "tint" the wood. Here is a pick of my maple neck. As far as wipe on poly goes, I love it! IMG_4703.JPG

Vespa_One likes this.

2. Vespa_One

Vespa_One Tele-Meister

Feb 14, 2017
    United States
    Nice!
    I have never used wipe on poly but I'm planning on trying it on my current build.

3. NICQ

NICQ TDPRI Member

May 15, 2017
    Vienna/Austria
    Looks great!

I wanted to use it but it's difficult to get a hold of in Europe...
    Have used Tru Oil a few times but it's different - stronger yellow tint

4. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 11, 2010
    Montana
    Did you need to sand it? What applicator and how many coats?

5. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I used it on a body, the gloss version, MiniWax. But I still used a brush.

Maple is so dense that I can't imagine it needing many coats. On my body, it did.

It would look beautiful after brushing on, and although it supposedly dries quickly to sand and add additional coats, it doesn't cure quickly. So several hours later, next day, I would see some rough spots where it soaked into the wood and lost its gloss. Additional coats fixed.

I also used it on the maple neck of my 12, but not thrilled with the feel. It isn't as slick and glass-like as it looks. Mine feels rough, so I added wax. Didn't really help.

It was probably how I applied it, but it's not like a complicated application process.

6. 1bad914

1bad914 Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2016
    Michigan
    I put about 5 coats initially, then added 4 more. 3 hours minimum between coats. I let it set for a week then very carefully wet sanded the headstock front and back with 2000 wet. I did the same to the back of the neck. Just to flatten out an dust nibs. I then machine buffed it with 3M polishing compound. I then put on a coat of carnival wax.

7. 1bad914

1bad914 Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2016
    Michigan
    You have to be very careful with the buffing. Take your time. The body has about 30 coats on it. That I wet sanded with 600, 800, 1000, 1500 and 2000. I then machine buffed it with 3M rubbing compound and the polishing compound. Finish with carnuba.
    IMG_4690.JPG IMG_4691.JPG

DrASATele and Loco85 like this.

8. 1bad914

1bad914 Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2016
    Michigan
    I apply it with a clean white t-shirt piece folded up into about a 2 inch wide pad. I fold all the cut edges in on themselves to minimize cotton dust. I wipe it on in long swipes from top to bottom, move over swipe again. One continuous swipe. Don't stop in the middle. Hold it in the light and look for missed areas. You wet the pad every few swipes. There will be lines at first, but they lay down.

DrASATele likes this.

9. Speedy454

Speedy454 Tele-Meister

Oct 1, 2013
    Highland, IL
    Very nice! Absolutely beautiful!

My experience with poly is that in time, it will darken a bit. Just a bit. Some like that, some don't.

10. archetype

archetype More tone than talent Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.