Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

Willie Nelson

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by peteb, Aug 10, 2017.

1. peteb

peteb Tele-Afflicted

Apr 25, 2003
    Cascadia
    The man is a living legend, and he puts on a great show.

I saw him last night at Marymoor park, a nice outdoor venue.

The man caries the show with his voice and his guitar.

It doesn't matter what he plays, it all sounds good.

Country and blues and everything inbetween.

I just couldn't help thinking it would be so much easier if he had more guitar. He stays put on that non steel string acoustic, a classical guitar, that to me have no punch at all, but he could make that thing rock.

Nickadermis, Stubee and RodeoTex like this.

2. tarheelbob

tarheelbob Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2014
    Asheville
    The wife and I going to see him in Cherokee, NC in October. Can't wait to see one of one of America's true troubadours, and the icon of a dying breed.

- Bob

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    He's a national treasure, in two countries, the United States and Texas!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Meister

Mar 12, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    your thread title SCARED me!!

Try something like "Saw Willie Nelson Last Night!!" next time ... the generic "Willie Nelson" title caused me to initially think "Oh, F***, we lost ANOTHER one!!"

Modman68 likes this.

6. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    I didn't get Willie's guitar playing for a long time. Then I listened to Django Reinhardt and I had an epiphany...Willie sounded kinda like a 78 recording of Django played at 33.

JimInMO likes this.

7. Modman68

Modman68 Tele-Meister

Mar 27, 2011
    La mesa
    I've seen recent recordings that have been all over the map, both brilliant all the way to hopelessly lost.

It may be that the very thing that gives him his distinctive style, that lazy, almost conversational perception of time in his vocal and guitar phrasing, is his Achilles Heel if he is not having a good night or is "effected"

8. peteb

peteb Tele-Afflicted

Apr 25, 2003
    Cascadia

I think that's a great way of putting it.

He wasn't the only one up there of course, but it was like he was the only one up there, and when you play solo that is a luxury that you have, the timing is whatever you want it to be when ever you want

9. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Holic

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    His version of "Blue Bayou" (just behind Linda Ronstadt's) is definitely a favorite.

10. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

BC loves Willie.

Nickadermis likes this.

11. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Tele-Holic

Jul 2, 2015
    PNW USA
    My neighbor friend went to the same show yesterday! Waiting for his report!

Beautiful description of Willie's style! I've learned a bit about phrasing and economy from listening to Willie.

Modman68 likes this.

12. peteb

peteb Tele-Afflicted

Apr 25, 2003
    Cascadia

I bet you Willie loves BC back.

Please report it back to us

I want to add,

Willie's voice, guitar, and humble personality combined with his reputation make a winning combination.

13. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2012
    South Jersey
    The first time I saw Willy, he was opening for The Grateful Dead.

Somewhere around 1977 or so, Giants Stadium, up in North Jersey.
    We had never heard of him, and there he was, doing "Whiskey River Take My Mind!"
    It was awesome and unforgettable. I've been a big fan ever since that day.

I've seen him about 6 times in the last 20 years, the most memorable was with Phil & Friends (Phil Lesh of the Dead), outdoor venue in Camden, NJ.
    At that show, after Willy's set, I was in the bathroom and heard some guy yell out "God Bless Willy Nelson!"

Yes. God bless Willy nelson.

peteb likes this.

14. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Tele-Holic

Jul 2, 2015
    PNW USA
    My neighbor says the show was great! After two hours Willie seemed quite tired, but did an encore.

Touring at 84 year old, the man really must love playing music with his friends.

15. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

I used to be an in demand computer guy, and was called up by Willie's road manager Poodie Locke to repair his laptop. (Poodie's)

This was about 6 or 8 months before James died of a heart attack. We got 2 free tickets, including backstage passes, and got a great dinner, but also got to watch both acts from the side of the stage. We were 10 ft from Willie's piano player. Fun stuff.

Nickadermis likes this.

16. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    virginia
    a genius and a living legend I love to hear him play the melody of a song on his guitar-its a thing of beauty that is often missed in guitar players

Mechanic, Nickadermis and Modman68 like this.

17. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    Finally got to see him about a year ago and glad I did. He was just great once he got rolling.

18. Mechanic

Mechanic Tele-Afflicted

Going to see Willie tonight in Salt Lake City. Will give a report tomorrow.

19. Mechanic

Mechanic Tele-Afflicted

Sorry to say but we're at 4200' and the altitude got to him. More of a singalong than a show. He was game but struggled to sing and play. My lungs are hurt, I can only imagine how hard it was for Willie. Whoever booked him needs a lesson as do a number of so-called ignorant fans in Utard.

Thanks Willie.

20. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 11, 2006
    Greater Boston
    I've been listening to Willie's "God's Problem Child" CD lately and lovin' it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.