Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Will these work as fret pullers?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Strebs, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2015
    Michigan
    I have a set of Starrett #1 5 1/2" music wire nippers. Will these work as a fret puller, or should I buy some rounded nippers and grind them flat? s-l500.jpg

2. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    If the frets have "edge tangs" you'll do less damage by 'sliding' them out rather than by 'pulling' them out/up.

3. Strebs

Dec 24, 2015
    Michigan
    I want to practice to do a Les Paul so I don't think that's an option. Mine has a Rosewood board so I'm going to practice on a rosewood board cheapie guitar.

I don't mind buying fret pullers or modifying some cheap nippers. I was just wondering if the people who do refrets think the Starretts would work.

4. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

Jul 6, 2010
    Very Deep South
    Post pictures of the project when you get into it.

Strebs likes this.
  5. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Meister

Feb 27, 2017
    Palmetto, Florida
    Dedicated fret pullers are not ground flat, they still have a gentle curve on the ground surface, just not a bevel on the outside of the cutting edge. The curve helps you to gently work the pullers under the fret and rock it to get it out. I spent the money for the dedicated design tool. Regluing chips that come out and filling the smaller chips the nibs on the tang knock out is a big part of the job of refretting. Any tool than minimizes chip out is worth the expense, IMO.

Strebs likes this.
  6. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    The fret puller must have a sharp edge to get under the fret. I can't tell if those are like that or not. Unless your frets dont have "tangs" (little nubs for gripping. DONT SLIDE THEM OUT! That's like running a chain saw in there.
    I dont use my fret pullers until I have worked one end of the fret above the surface.... otherwise you are asking for dents in your fretboard, because the sharp edge of the puller wont get under the fret.
    I have a stiff, small pocket knife blade I work under one corner of the fret end and pry up. Once it raises a touch use the pullers. I also use a 100 watt solder iron to heat the fret. Usually NO CHIPS at all.

Strebs and RodeoTex like this.
  7. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

As long as the bolt-on jaws have a wedge tip they will work.

Make sure to use a soldering iron to heat the fret just ahead of where you are pulling, that way you soften the superglue holding the frets in.

Strebs likes this.
  8. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Strebs likes this.
  9. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    That's a great tool for its purpose but not good for fret pulling. The cutting surface is too wide, it does not appear curved at all, and the screws that hold the hardened cutting plates on could dent the fret board when gently rocked to get the fret moving. It's way cheap for a mini nipper that you can grind as needed to be the perfect tool. I just searched amazon for "mini nipper pliers" and got a ton of candidates. This was about the cheapest.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FFY3QJI/?tag=tdpri-20

Best of luck,
    Rex

Strebs likes this.
  10. Strebs

Dec 24, 2015
    Michigan
    Thanks!

I went ahead and ordered a set of these from Philadelphia Luthier along with some frets.

apinud4gu__41519.1386634250.jpg

I checked the radius on the Ion test guitar and lucky for me, it has a 12" radius so it should be a really good test bed for the Les Paul.

As soon as everything comes in I'll start playing with the test guitar.

I also have some parallel clamps that look like they may make a nice fret press with a couple of cauls. I'll probably play around with that as well.

Cheers!

11. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Nice. If the cost isn't bothersome that tool is as good as it gets!

12. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    I bought that from Philly Luthier.
    Excellent tool.
    Did a rosewood board with NO tear- out.
    Remember...you don't pull the frets. Closing the jaws levers them up and you creep along the fret.
    I don't know why, but I feel like soldering iron heat helps even when there is no glue.

13. philosofriend

philosofriend Tele-Holic

Oct 28, 2015
    Kalamazoo
    That is a nice looking tool. I've been happy since forever using a pair of small chisels. The main thing is that by having the tool push down on the fretboard close to where it is pushing up on the fret, chipping is minimized. Go slow and keep on staring. Stop and think if chips start coming out.

Strebs likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.