Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Will a Celestion Gold fit in an AC15c1?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by KC, Aug 9, 2018.

1. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Missoula, Montana
    I've got a Gold and I've got an AC15 but -- before I get out the soldering iron and screw gun -- I'm wondering if the speaker will clear the tubes. It sure looks like it won't. But it seems like it's been done. Does the bell cover come off?

2. spauldingrules

spauldingrules Tele-Holic

Dec 8, 2006
    Kansas City

3. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Bell cover does not come off..tried..many times..lol

4. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Meister

Jun 11, 2014
    SLC, UT
    Which model? There are a lot of AC15 variants these days.

5. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's

Pretty sure it does. There's a screw under the stick on label. You should be able to feel it and just punch a quarter into the slot and unscrew it.

MickM likes this.

6. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Aug 15, 2012
    Australia
    I tried the mount the blue from an UK made ac 30 into a recent greenbacked ac15. Wasted a few hours as it wouldn’t fit.

7. uriah1

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Try new alnico flavored neo

8. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Meister

Jun 11, 2014
    SLC, UT
    This is odd considering that the current AC15C1X comes with a Celestion Alnico Blue. According to the Celestion website the Blue and the Gold are the same depth.

Again, what model of AC15 are you using?

9. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Meister

Aug 20, 2017
    Federal Way, Washington
    I would think it would fit, aren't they the same size as the alnico blue? I know you can get an AC15C1X with an alnico blue instead of the greenback. I assume they are the exact same amp, except for the speaker....but I have never measure the blue, or the gold, so it's just an assumption.

10. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Missoula, Montana
    Mine is an AC15c1, not an X, and apparently the cabinet dimensions are slightly different -- though the spec sheet says they're the same. So who knows.

11. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Meister

May 20, 2018
    Arcata
    I read an article by Celestion that says to remove the sticker on the bell (a Phillip's head screw is underneath) and pull the bell off (there is some glue along the base).

12. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Meister

May 20, 2018
    Arcata

13. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The cover comes off. As stated earlier a screw resides beneath the sticker. I shoehorned one into a Peavey Classic 30 extension cab....way tight fit and soon removed it.

14. uriah1

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    The Phillips was seated in glue or solder. Would not budge. I am wimpy but not much. You don’t gain that much clearance anyway. Alnico cream nice too. Tad better.

15. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Aug 15, 2012
    Australia
    I was trying to fit the blue into a recent AC15c1. Like you, I figured that since the X model is the same dimensions it would fit, bell and all. I guess the innards of the c1 and c1X must be a bit different to accomodate the blue.

16. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Meister

Aug 20, 2017
    Federal Way, Washington
    The only difference between the c1, and the c1X, is the speaker. c1 is a Celestion greenback, whereas c1X is a Celestion alnico blue. Other than that, the amps are identical. And I'm not sure, but the dimensions between the Celestion Gold, and Celestion alnico blue look pretty much the same to me...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.