Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Wilkinson vintage v52 guitar

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Remmurts, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Remmurts

Remmurts TDPRI Member

Aug 3, 2008
    Sweden
    Hello, noticed that people allways type "my first post" so im not gonna be any diffrent.
    This is my first thread.
    My next buy is going to be a wilkinson vintage v52 t-series guitar.
    They have a relic:ed vision called: "Distressed Butterscotch"
    Has anyone had some experience with this guitar?
    And maibe some better pictures then is around on the internet?
    All the picures on the internet is diffrent from one and another (and not in the good way).

If this has been posted about before I apologise, but then its the searchengin`s fault,hehe.

Thanks / Remmurts

Attached Files:

• 2748.jpg
      2748.jpg
      File size:
      41.1 KB
      Views:

2. BritishBluesBoy

BritishBluesBoy Former Member

Oct 19, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hi Mate,

Just my opinion but the relic job on that guitar looks awful...

If I were you I'd look into a Fender 50's Classic or a Roadworn Telecaster if you want the relic thing. Maybe more expensive but worth it IMO.

3. lupowitz

lupowitz Tele-Afflicted

Jan 31, 2007
    Hungary
    Welcome!

I never played one it's a recent addition to his line up but Trev Wilkinson has a very good reputation around these parts. This guitar in question is also available as non-reliced version, I'd go that route if I were you, and do the relic thing by my own. You can find details about the process here, althoug there are members who dislike the whole pre-worn movement quite heavily and not affraid to post their strong opinions, so if your result of searc will show a lot of closed threads, you know the reason now.

4. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    I don't like anything about that guitar, especially the headstock and poor relicing .

5. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Banned

Apr 5, 2008
    Desolation Row
    sing along

No NO NO no no no no NO no no no no

Nobody can do the Shing a Ling like I do

Nobody can do the Shake like I do

Nobody can do the Boog a Loo like I do

No body but me

No no no no no no no No no no no no

6. jhundt

jhundt Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 23, 2003
    Netherlands
    I've heard that those are pretty good guitars. But I think the "relic" work is over-done. They make a nice butterscotch Tele-type, also a nich blonde version, without the relicing. I would prefer one of those, if I was buying.

7. gregorypause

gregorypause Tele-Meister

Jul 10, 2009
    Hungary
    Well, I don't know about Swedish prices, but these guitars you mentioned are about 3 times the price of the guitar above. Having said that, while I think Vintage guitars are great for the price, I think a Squier Telecaster would still be closer to the real thing.

I think the Vintage brand is more well known (at least in Hungary) for its V100 series Les Paul style guitars. I have a Les Paul Junior copy that I am happy with so far.

8. Remmurts

Remmurts TDPRI Member

Aug 3, 2008
    Sweden
    Thanks for all the response.
    I have considered bying the "non-reliced" version.
    BUT the pictures I found of that one you CANT see the grain/wood through the butterscotch.
    And , Yeah money is a issue.
    Ive already have a 60`s fender MIM telecaster and a Highway one.
    I just wanted a decent tele in butterscottch. The squier dosent do it for me.
    And I think this (Wilkinson vintage) is a better guitar then the Squier.
    BTW I found this clip on youtube.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw5rdIrgbuU

/ Remmurts

9. madmark

madmark Tele-Afflicted

Nov 18, 2007
    New York
    I would agree not a fan of that look...

10. pfogle

pfogle Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2009
    london, UK
    FWIW I just got one of the non-reliced V52 Vintage guitars. You can see the grain through the (very nice) butterscotch finish, but the grain is quite low-key (alder, not ash).

Pros: fantastic pickups for the price, I immediately sold off my 2 squier standard teles, they just weren't in the same ballpark. All the hardware seems great. All in all a very impressive job. The setup was spot on, intonation was near perfect, though I did raise the b string a tad to give a bit more breathing space for high bends.

Cons: horrible colour fingerboard, too much yellow staining. I like the fact that the back of the neck is glossy (not toooo glossy!) while the f/b is more satin finish. Makes for a very comfortable neck. I also had to polish the tops of a couple of the frets, just to get a more 'buttery feel' to the bends. Oh, and the jack socket needed to be tightened a bit, but apart from that it's all fine.

So, bottom line, you don't get much choice about the colour, but it's a pretty good buy for the money. Some people don't like the non-fender style headstock, but I find it a pleasing compromise between the strat look and the tele. I think I like it better than the 'real' tele headstock shape (Ooooh, heresy!). I always did think the original shape looked a bit too much like trying to save wood... :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009

11. woodythx138

woodythx138 TDPRI Member

May 1, 2009
    Soulsbyville,Ca
    Are these guitars avalible in the united states ? Chris

12. Arttuonline

Arttuonline TDPRI Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Finland
    Has anyone idea of the radius of the neck? Is more vintage (like 7,25) or more modern (>9)? And is the neck really fat or slim?

13. firefuocco

firefuocco Tele-Holic

May 19, 2008
    Cornwall UK
    I see they are £199 in the UK, so reasonably low cost. So low you don't really have to worry about resale value as there won't be much of one.

I guess most people on TDPRI aren't going to like it as it is not Fender & the headstock being different. If that doesn't bother you why not give it a try, especially as you already have other Fenders.

I agree with others though I am not a fan of the relic version.

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/42231-vintage-v52-butterscotch.html

14. scpos2

scpos2 TDPRI Member

Dec 24, 2011
    Colorado
    V-52 review

I've been playing a V-52 for about a year. It has a great sound and feel. I've AB'd it against a Nash Tele with Lollar PUPs, and while the V-52 is not as loud, it has similar tonal characteristics for 1/4 the price. The neck is comfortable, fast, and easy to play. I've been playing for more than 50 years; I'm happy with the instrument; and I've received many compliments about its sound.

That's the upside. Here's the downside:

The neck came slightly back-bowed; the relicing was poor (The faux fingerprint smudges between the frets looked like was dabbed on fingertips and then pressed on--You could see the fingerprint whorls.); some of the screw holes under the pick guard were sloppily drilled (misplaced and re-drilled, and the misplaced holes simply left there); and the neck screws were so soft that taking them out stripped the Phillips heads.

I found these problems correctable and/or minor. Wilkinson sent me a new neck for free. By rubbing the charcoal smudges with very fine steel wool, I got the neck to look well-played, not phony. The misplaced holes under the pick guard are invisible and don't affect performance. I replaced the soft neck screws with better ones.

My bottom line is that the V-52 is a fine Tele for the money if you don't mind some initial hassle. If I lost this one, I would probably replace it.

One more point: Since the V-52 has a Strat-like headstock, it doesn't look like a Tele. That doesn't bother me, but it might bother you.

15. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    Wilkinson guitars-quite respectable IMHO.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.