Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Wilkinson Ez-Lok Tuners

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by GhostofJohnToad, Jan 31, 2007.

1. GhostofJohnToad

GhostofJohnToad Tele-Afflicted

Nov 10, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Anyone use these? I am trying to find some dimensions for them. What size hole do they require in the peghead, specifically. Are they more similar to Schaller or Gotoh sealed varieties.

2. magicguitar

magicguitar Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2006
    Fallon, Nevada
    I picked up a set for one of my tele's last year. They fit perfectly on a licenced Tele headstock. So if you're going to put them on a standard Tele, they should work.

3. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oct 19, 2003
    Albuquerque, USA
    Dimensions are in mm.

........... Wilkinson EZLoc.jpg

Last edited: Jan 31, 2007

4. Fendermojoman

Fendermojoman TDPRI Member

Sep 24, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Locking Tuners

I haven't used the Wilkenson's but I purchased a set of the Planet Waves lockers and they are awesum!. In fact, they work and feel better than the Fender Lockers on my 50th Deluxe Strat! :p :cool: :p

5. GhostofJohnToad

GhostofJohnToad Tele-Afflicted

Nov 10, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Ya know I was looking at those but all the reviews I read on them were kinda so-so to bad. The Wilkinson's were cheap, like $25, so I bought 'em.

6. LaRSin

LaRSin TDPRI Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Pickering, Ontario.
    how do you like them ??

7. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 21, 2006
    Vienna, Austria
    I have a set of the Wilkinson EZ-Loks on a Partscaster; they required 10mm holes (but I think, depending on which style you're choosing, there are also some models of the Wilkinson EZ-Lok for 8.5 mm vintage-sized holes).
    They work pretty well for keeping my Bigsby-equipped Tele in tune, and they seem to be well made; but they are hard to string up, with those two holes sitting at a 90° angle.
    Actually, I like the vintage-style Kluson Deluxe locking tuners I have on my other Partscaster better (just for ease of use) - these require a smaller, 8.5 mm hole.

8. Brian blaut

Brian blaut Friend of Leo's

Feb 13, 2005
    SF North Bay
    http://store.guitarfetish.com/wiezlotu6inf.html

These right? I put them on an epiphone strat copy. I think they'll work. I think they were 10mm holes. They work pretty good. Although I lost the tiny piece of paper that came with them, so I'm not exactly sure if I'm stringing em correctly.

9. martino

martino Tele-Holic

Aug 2, 2007
    LA CA US
    Yea I am stuck wondering how to run the strings on these EZ-LOK tuners ? ? ?
    any one have a photo or a digram on this . . .

Thanks TDPRI at least I am not alone.

10. martino

martino Tele-Holic

Aug 2, 2007
    LA CA US

11. Brendan

Brendan Tele-Holic

Feb 21, 2004
    I've got Wilkinson locking tuners on my Italia. That sucker stays in tune after using the tremolo. I'd buy them for a partscaster project..

12. Stratsrgood

Stratsrgood Tele-Meister

Dec 27, 2006
    Hampshire,UK
    I've got a set of the twin hole type on a Strat, I gave up using both holes as changing strings was hard work! All I do now is use the most suitable hole for the string and have a single turn on the wound strings and a couple of turns on the plain ones, so far its always stayed in tune.

13. Brian blaut

Brian blaut Friend of Leo's

Feb 13, 2005
    SF North Bay

14. Tanya's

Tanya's TDPRI Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Oro Valley, Arizona
    I have them on my Reverend Warhawk. They do seem to keep things in better tune, but they make string changing really challenging. Personally, I don't like them much and will likely replace them. If you wand locking tuners the Sperzels are so much better.

15. Angierc

Angierc Tele-Meister

Oct 23, 2009
    East Texas
    I like them a lot

I use them almost exclusively now. I do not understand why everyone is complaining that they are hard to string. I have had much more trouble with both vintage, normal single hole, and locking Grovers than these.

Put it through one hole, put it through the other pull it tight tune.
    that easy

on the lower strings put in the top hole first to ease the break angle over the nut
    on the top strings go through the bottom hole first to increase the break angle.

Simple design that really locks the strings. YMMV

16. schnazzybo

schnazzybo TDPRI Member

Aug 2, 2014
    West Covina, CA
    These are awful! I bought a set for a Mexican Squier Strat, and while they do work, its like learning to walk again, its so contrary to what Im used to, then the high E kept slipping. It finally stopped slipping and works fine so far, but I wont be buying them again, and Ill probably just wrap the strings as usual next time, or change them out.

17. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Vancouver, BC
    +1 on what Tanya's said...

Yeah, they were OEM on the early batches of MIK Reverends, including my Buckshot. They lock great with the two holes at 90-degrees BUT its a real PIA removing strings, particularly at a gig situation. I replaced mine with some Grover locking mini Rotomatics that were a drop-in.

18. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    I also have em. 10 mm holes for mine on an SX double bound. They work great, but I'm in the group that thinks they're hard to string. Strings want to keep jumping over the post & whatnot. I won't be removing them.

There are vids on yoo tube on how to string em. I'd imbed it, but don't know how to on an idiotphone.

19. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

Jan 13, 2013
    England
    Just in case you haven't seen the video

20. mikeyb

mikeyb Tele-Meister

Aug 18, 2014
    Chicago, IL

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.