Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Wildwood relic ready

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by golfnut, Jan 2, 2018.

1. golfnut

golfnut Tele-Afflicted

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    I don't know if this has been discussed here. I did do a search but didn't find anything. Does anyone own one of the "Relic ready" custom shop guitars exclusive to Wildwood? I know a lot has been discussed about the virtues of a relic guitar, mainly detractors calling them "poser" guitars. I'm not a fan of relic but I would never make a judgment like that. I believe guitars are for personal enjoyment and if someone really enjoys their relic then I'm happy for them
    That being said I do like a guitar that shows some age and wear for that cool appearance effect. At my age though sitting with 3 brand new guitars that I've bought over the last 2 years, I don't have time to wait.
    I'm hoping that my newly acquired 52 thin skin telecaster I bought from wildwood will wear quicker than normal. Considering I have no plans for heavy gigging it still might take a while.
    What I'd like to know is, are these "Relic ready" guitars that Wildwood sells have some extra thin finish that will make them look worn quicker than the thin skin guitars they sell?

2. superbadj

superbadj Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 26, 2008
    roanoke, va
    I have zero experience with either the thin skin or relic ready guitars....but if I have to venture a guess as a marketing and advertising expert (which I am)....I'm gonna guess it's nothing really all that different other than that they're CS guitars that haven't been reliced yet. So no the finish won't be that different, or maybe any different, than the thin skins (unless those have an undercoat, which I think they do not).

Regardless--think about the concept a little bit. If the wear really happens "exponentially" faster (which is what this page claims https://wildwoodguitars.com/product...m-shop/dealer-select-wildwood-10/relic-ready/), then yeah it might wear faster and hit that worn-in look faster.....but it's not like it's gonna stop, so it'll cruise right past "worn" into "worn off".

The only way to make something "relic ready" is to main the finish fragile.

And to be clear I'm not judging--I have relics and I like the look just fine, I'm not trying to fool anyone that I have a 40 year old guitar, I just dig the look. But the relics I have have been worn by a combo of the person doing the finish and my play time. If these truly get "reliced" faster...substantially faster...they'll also get "over reliced" faster. But obviously that's personal taste.

gtrwrks likes this.

3. BradL

BradL Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Feb 9, 2009
    Sussex, UK
    Interesting concept. I wonder what serial numbers they will stick on them? R designates relic (unless it's a limited/special edition which usually gets a CZ prefix either way) and NOS gets I think just a straight number -or at least that's how it works with my CS Fenders.

4. golfnut

golfnut Tele-Afflicted

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    I'm 57 sitting here with a brand new thin skin that almost never goes out of the house. I keep my self in pretty good shape but I'm thinking over relicing in my lifetime shouldn't be a problem. A little worn in look by the time I"m 70 would be cool.

hdvades likes this.

5. Jules78

Jules78 Tele-Holic

Dec 12, 2016
    Northern VA
    Its pure marketing. They are just getting them before fender relics them.

If you think you can relic one by playing it, think again.
    This is larry carltons es335. Its about 50 years old, has travelled everywhere with him, been refretted multiple times. Not refinished. How is it supposed to look? There’s some checking on the headstock and a bit on the body. Anyone want to “relic” it. Looks like it needs some giant paint chips, arm scuffs, cigarette burns, brown crap smeared on it and really someone should take a screw driver to the fret board and fade the nitro. Sorry for going off on another relic tangent, but seriously, the relics you guys buy are made to look like abused guitars. Want yours to look that way? Drag it behind your car on the way to work.
    [​IMG]

6. BradL

Feb 9, 2009
    Sussex, UK

7. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2012
    england
    I was curious to see what Ready Relic meant and found this promo video for such guitars
    Don't really know what to make of that other than a lazy non grain fill on the body and a extra bit of tint on the neck
    all instruments are ready relics if you are not careful think they need to change the name to smoke and mirrors

8. Clifton C

Clifton C Tele-Holic

Aug 26, 2010
    Houston
    I try to keep my guitars looking as new as I can! So, kind of an opposite to the relic idea!

gitold and Jules78 like this.

9. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

Jan 12, 2009
    Clarks Summit, PA
    I have a 2012 Gibson LP Tribute in worn ebony. It was designed to be minimally reliced. Although it is fully finished some of it was thinned, on the edges, and it has no binding. Well it has shown some additional but minimal roughing of the finish, and it has received all the love the other guitars get. But it is aging faster. I can't tell if it was the finish or the P90's that give the guitar the edge in sound.

I was looking at it today and it has aged faster than any other guitar I have. Most of my guitars have double digit ages and don't look this bad. It's counterintuitive to buy an expensive guitar, and then treat it like dirt, just to age quicker. It's even more cruel for your new guitar to be sent to a relic team that actually takes time (=money) to beat them with chains and band saws or whatever. Well it sounds cruel, more like brutal.

But to say a thinner finish sounds better is all kinds of wrong, and it isn't true. If it is then I say sell guitars with no finish at all. You know, because it'll sound better. I call B.S. on that claim.

10. BradL

Feb 9, 2009
    Sussex, UK
    People buy and sell CS guitars as much as anything else so I'm wondering what you would do about these if indeed they relic pretty easily/continually. This is the problem with selling NOS guitars that aren't anymore. Buy a relic and sell a relic. Can't really tell whether there are extra dings or not unless you go crazy but NOS is like PRS -much harder to shift when banged up. These pre-relics would strike me as having the same issue and would just be someone else's old and banged up guitar once they hit the second hand market.

11. Rufustelestrats

Rufustelestrats Tele-Holic

The thing strikes me as they are just acknowledging that some prefer the way their style relics the guitar, not the craftsmen who use the hammers, chisels and sandpaper. We all have seen the AVRI series with the flash coat finish that is like egg shell delicate. This just capitalizes on this with marketing.
    R

12. ladave

ladave Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Is it possible the body finish is the exact same thing as "Thin Skin"?

13. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

They were just introduced. I doubt anyone has any experience with them and certainly not enough to have aleady created any relicing.
    As for detractors of relics, they are certainly entitled to their opinions. I love my 61 Strat Relic.
    The concept that preconditioning them to wear easily doesn’t mean, as someone above suggested, that they would wear too much or beyond reason.

14. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    Nice guitars in their own right.

Pretty cool, and pretty expensive, but I just KNOW mine would relic in a bad way, with dings and paint suddenly missing in uncool places :)

Still, I have my 2012 AVRI '64 in LPB which as many have noted was relic ready straight out the factory with the thinnest of thin skins, but at a third of the price of the Relic Readys. I win!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.