Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Wildwood 10 '62 Telecaster Custom neck finish

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by Duke42, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Duke42

Duke42 TDPRI Member

Jul 9, 2018
    Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
    Hello all, new to the forum - this is my first post.

I just bought a "Wildwood 10" '62 Telecaster Custom from Wildwood Guitars in CO. (Absolutely outstanding customer service from those folks - can't recommend them more highly).

This particular WW10 is not a relic, it's NOS, so theoretically it looks like a brand new '62 TC right off the production line. And it's indeed beautiful, with a figured ash body and beautifully shot sunburst. My only complaint is the neck finish, which is a medium tint satin nitro. To me, this looks just like the satin poly used on modern Telecasters. The fingerboard is unfinished rosewood, but the face of the headstock is where this satin finish is most noticeable.

My first question is why would the Custom Shop shoot a "vintage reissue" type TC with a satin neck finish? This seems like a bit of historical paradox (though I will grant you, the 10" radius fretboard certainly isn't historically correct either.)

Second question is, can you overspray a satin nitro finish with gloss, slightly more tinted, nitro? Can a satin finish be brought up to gloss without cutting right through it to bare wood, destroying the headstock decal, etc., or would you have to strip and refinish totally?

Thanks for your thoughts; I've enjoyed reading the forum.

Duke

2. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Jul 15, 2013
    Europa
    Business is business .. I'm guessing Wildwood are catering to the requests of their customers and it's is easier to sell a guitar like yours than one with a nitro finish. They've already bulged on with the 10" radius and I'm guessing you've got medium jumbos or similar on yours.

It wouldn't bother me a bit tbh .. I got a '66 NOS tele as you can see in my avatar and I'm very fond of both the 9,5 radius and medium jumbos on it. A satin neck would be fine too .. Actually the only thing that bothers me are the vintage correct threaded saddles, that I most likely will change at some point.

3. Duke42

Duke42 TDPRI Member

Jul 9, 2018
    Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
    It does have a nitro finish, it's just that the neck is satin, not gloss. Just find it curious, that's all.

How about the question concerning overspraying satin with gloss nitro - possible? Any recommendations for who might specialize in such work?

4. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2017
    USA

I hope it isn't this one. Guitars are like wands in the Harry Potter universe. Once they are "won", as in the way that Greg Koch reigns in this beauty, it will only answer to him.

I think I'm with the consensus here that I'd be hesitant to start spraying a neck that I just paid a premium for. If it's the feel you don't like, I'd probably try to scotch pad it to my liking first. If it's the look, I'd say forget about it and play on. It'll age naturally like everything else.

Also, we need pictures now. ;)

bender66 likes this.

5. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    My first piece of advice would be to not change a single thing on that guitar. Those Wildwood customs aren't your normal "custom shop" models. I'm lucky to have them right up the road, I've never tried to play one of their custom models, if they even put them on the floor...

Another thing worth thinking about, and I could be wrong on my prediction here, is that I turned the satin poly neck on my strat into a silky gloss finish after a year of playing. I imagine the same will happen with your nitro satin neck, probably even faster.

If I were you, I'd just play it, you could end up with what you are after in a much more natural way.

6. Duke42

Duke42 TDPRI Member

Jul 9, 2018
    Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
    Thanks for the input, friends. As requested, here's a couple pics of the guitar in question.

Tele2.jpg Tele1.jpg

Stubee, elihu and Ron Garson like this.

7. Ron Garson

Ron Garson Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May 18, 2003
    UK
    Pretty guitar. Looking a lot like my '62 Custom, though it wasn't a Wildwood 10, but a similar run done by Coda Music in the UK. 10 radius, slab board, quartersawn neck, med. jumbo frets, compensated brass saddles, and Abby hand-wound Texas Specials. The neck and headstock is glossy, and quite pale 62 Tele_zpskaxxjzis.jpg in colour.

elihu likes this.

8. srvbluezz

srvbluezz Tele-Meister

May 25, 2006
    jersey
    I'm with sconnie....play that guitar enough and that satin neck will turn into gloss.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.