Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Wilde pickups wire leads

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by ChuckZilla, Jan 21, 2013.

1. ChuckZilla

ChuckZilla TDPRI Member

Hey guys,

I have been rewiring my Nashville. I got two tone knobs. I got two tele keystones, and the L-280SM in the middle.

I got that big ole super switch. Its awesome I got it set up like this.

1 - Bridge, Tone 2
    2 - Bridge/Mid 1/2 out of phase Tone 1
    3 - Neck and Bridge, Tone 1
    4 - Neck and Mid, Tone 1
    5 - Neck, Tone 1

This was a pretty fun wiring exercise, but now the real question.

What are all the lead colors of the tele keystones, and the L-280SM? I don't want to accidntly wire the neck and mid (position 4) out of phase. I want to make sure I wire them in phase!

What are the wire colors for each pup? What are the pups + and - leads, and which wires should I ground?

I have wrote Bill and Becky two emails, and they haven't got back to me!:neutral:

2. mefgames

mefgames Tele-Afflicted

3. ChuckZilla

ChuckZilla TDPRI Member

Thanks a million mefgames. I don't know why I couldn't find that webpage.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. ChuckZilla

ChuckZilla TDPRI Member

This still doesn't tell me what the negative lead of the pickup is, though...

6. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted

The ground wire is negative.

7. ChuckZilla

ChuckZilla TDPRI Member

But there are two wires which go to ground. One is the casing of the pickup, and one is the negative lead of the pickup.

Maybe I can connect them both to the switch...

But would this present a problem if I have the negative lead, and the grounding going through my .022 uf capacitor... the grounding should not be wired through the capacitor I don't think...

I don't think I am over complicating this... maybe I am...

[​IMG]

I need to know what the negative lead of the LM-280SM, as I won't be sending both to ground...

8. ChuckZilla

ChuckZilla TDPRI Member

Well Becky finally got back to me... Turns out for the L280SM pickup, the hot wire is the green, the black wire is the negative, and the blue wire is the casing. I'll post back with results as soon as possible!

9. ChuckZilla

ChuckZilla TDPRI Member

I finally got it all wired up. It sounds pretty good.

I had the keystones and the L280SM in there before, but I went and switched to CTS pots. I also changed the tone nob cap values.

I'm now using a .022 for tone 1, and a .01 for the bridge. The tone nob is now much more usable! before it only had a couple degrees of variability. I really like the .01 tone nob for my bridge put. It's like I have a whole 'nother guitar when I'm using that bridge pickup with the .01uf tone knob. The entire range of the tone nob is variable!

Maybe I will only use .01uf tone caps from now on!

As for the half out of phase sound in position 2, I'm still not too fond of it... Oh well I didn't really like the bridge and middle pickup in parallel anyway... maybe it will grow on me.

With the new pots, and the super switch, I have a super nice, versatile rig.

Cheers to all you guys our there!

-Chuck

10. garrett

garrett Tele-Afflicted

Glad you sorted out the colors.

I'm not surprised half out of phase doesn't sound good with bridge/middle. It's really meant to be done with bridge and neck to cop the vibe of the usual bridge/middle Strat tone. Since you have the Nashville setup, I'd go with the regular in-phase bridge/middle combo any day.

I like 0.01uf caps, too. That or a 0.015 to get a bit darker without the mud of the usual 0.022.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.