Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Wild tax accountant encounter last night

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Feb 13, 2018.

1. JCW308

JCW308 Tele-Meister

Jun 2, 2016
    Telford, PA USA
    Yep, female Better Call Saul was my first thought too!

rcole_sooner likes this.

2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Interesting tale. I'm thinking you're doing all of this so you can some how finagle one of them fancy new four wheel bicycles out of the deal.

3. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    Good thing she was good at math, because I doubt she scored high on verbal. Good thing you got out, gang members aren't known for push and shove arguments.

william tele likes this.

4. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Years ago, so long ago, I don't remember when exactly, but long before computer tax programs, I decided to wade through the paper work and do my own taxes, and some years they were very complicated. Fast forward to about twelve years ago, I had a coworker who praised his accountant every year, and finally he convinced me to see the accountant. I had already prepared my taxes and was just going over them a final time, but decided to give the guy a shot. When my friend introduced me, the accountant surprised me by saying if I can't save you what I charge, ($250) I won't make any changes. So I left copies in his care, and a couple of days later he called me and said, you should be doing this part time, I can't find anything to do with your tax return. Good to his word he didn't charge me a nickel. I never bothered with an accountant after that.

The problem with relying on others to take care of your finances and tax returns is that sometimes you are given bad advice by well meaning people. A relative stopped by the other day, and asked me about some rather personal stuff about their father-in-laws tax status. Seems he got some bad advice about filing his returns after he retired, and taking compulsory withdrawals from his 401K after he reached the age of 70 years old. I didn't give the person asking any advice other than referring them to the stated laws concerning his status. Since he's only about a year out from the age concerned in his situation, it he gets on it RIGHT NOW, he may be able to avoid some of the penalties involved.

5. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    Time and money, wish I had more of both.

Nickadermis likes this.

6. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement
    "That's gone be a decision that you hafta make. That's on you."
    I can't wait for the next "Should I buy this guitar" thread. I think we may have the latest TDPRI catch phrase."
    Add to that the phrase "What do you want it to be?"

7. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement
    That is the key to any dealing with government entity. I wish Id have heeded that in younger years.

Toto'sDad likes this.

8. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ
    The only time I paid a stranger to do it, he messed it up. These people have no idea, and don;t want to stat filling out schedule C's so you can write off your stuff.
    The lazier ones will just mark down your reported "income" from music as miscellaneous income, which puts you in a hole.
    Turbo Tax is the answer.

9. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I use H&R Block, no reason, I just started using them, I think I used Turbo Tax first. Did my taxes long hand for years. The computer programs make it so easy to do your taxes it's just really not that difficult. The not having to be at the mercy of someone else's time table is a BIG plus.

jimash likes this.

10. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Had a buddy who was having his taxes done one year. His earning were pretty simple, but the guy doing his taxes couldn't get all of his withholding money back for him, he just didn't have enough deductions. My buddy related this story to me, so I can't authenticate, but when told the only way he could get the rest of his money back was if he had another dependent. My buddy said, I told the guy, well then "put 'er down!" As far as I know he never got called on it, but I'd say that would be a pretty risky deduction.

11. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Meister

Dec 20, 2010
    Harrisburg, PA area
    See, this right here- this makes me wonder if you might want to rethink this.

@TheGoodTexan One possible consideration: I find that in a medical situation, I don't really want the friendly young nurse that seems accommodating and well put-together. I want the mean old battleaxe. I feel like the battleaxe nurses don't miss veins or forget to check things and I don't feel uncomfortable telling them embarrassing medical details.

If this accountant got "yes ma'am" respect from knuckleheads of any stripe, she might be worth another conversation. If the IRS comes after you, she sounds like someone who wouldn't let you get snowed easily. If your friend is vouching for her competence, and she's tough- sounds like an ideal accountant to me.

I probably wouldn't wait the 35 mins, but I might try again another day.

Telemarx likes this.

12. cattzap

cattzap TDPRI Member

Jan 18, 2018
    Carlos, Tx
    It happens. Reminds me of when I was building my house. The painter hired a helper that showed up and stood around half a day and refused to do anything. He was finally told to get lost. A few days later I get a notice that he filed a lien against the house. Talking to the county clerk, I was told that's what this guy does. He's done hundreds of them. Most people just pay him what he wants to disappear. Others have to fight him to release it so they can get a closing completed. We chose to find a bottom of the barrel attorney recommended by someone. We give him $50 to make a call to him. Don't know what they discussed but not too long after the lien was released and the guy was apologizing. Maybe a discussion about a broke leg. I'll never know. The next house nobody step foot on the place without a signed release of any possible lien.

Toto'sDad likes this.

13. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Good piece of info right there, something to be careful with for sure.

14. Hiker

Hiker Friend of Leo's

Jul 20, 2008
    Alabama
    A rare, unusual encounter, hopefully!

15. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    She could not keep an appointment that she scheduled. That's all I need to know. She's not as concerned about the things important to me as I need her to be.

We've had a complicated tax situation for about 10 years now, and since then we've been using a great accountant. We made an appointment, we showed up on time, and she gave us an hour of her time. Over the course of about two weeks, she might call us two or three times for clarification, then a final call to come by her office and sign some things. That's it.

But she retired in 2015.

At that time she recommended us to a colleague at a big, well-known firm in Nashville... and it turns out, we were small potatoes to them. Our agent there would not meet with us. She would only come down to the lobby and receive our folder of documents, and give us about 2 mins of her time. Then she would only communicate via email. We had some serious questions in 2017, and she did not provide an adequate answer, then filed for us without answering the question. She notified us that we owed $6000 in taxes (which was in error). When we finally got it all cleared up, we ended up owing about $400. All of that could have been avoided if she had just sat down with us for 30-45 mins at the very beginning of the process. This was not a stressful thing for her, as she deals with people who make WAY more money that we do. But as you can imagine, it freaked us out until we got it all cleared up.

So the hunt is on this year for a new tax accountant.

And I think I found one. I got a recommendation from a friend of my father-in-law, so I called his office today. His secretary answered and I told her what's up (I was given a code word to use, so that he would take us as a client, as he doesn't take new walk-in business.) I told her what my specific situation was, and she said, "You have called the right place. That's one of his specialties." We have an appointment for Friday. Hopefully he won't be moderating a turf war in the lobby when we arrive.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018

16. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    So glad I only have to rely on Turbo Tax.

rcole_sooner likes this.

17. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I wish I could do it that way - but I'm an ordained minister, and the IRS changes the laws for us every other year. That's not hyperbole. That's the truth. One year I am able to do this, next year I cannot, two years later I can do half of this, but twice of that... and I can't always wrap my brain around it.

In addition to that, my wife does contract work as a nurse practitioner. Some places withhold her taxes, and other places do not. Some situations she is allowed to claim mileage to/from the office, other places she is not.

I did try turbo tax in 2015, and I just could not get it all together. There are just too many moving parts each year, and I can't dedicate the time to keeping up with all of it.

18. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    I can see that.
    I could actually use the cheaper version of TurboTax is not for my paltry mutual funds investments. Now that you can download income information directly from employers and financial firms it's even easier.
    I can answer the other relevant questions very quickly and skip a bunch of sections so I'm done in less than 45 minutes. Filed on 31st and had my small refund on the 5th or 6th.
    I can't get two of my friends who have nearly identical income sources and investments to switch to TT. They just feel more confident using an accountant so it's worth the extra $100-150 to have someone do it for them.

19. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    WHAT? Saul was always courteous and well spoken...not sounding like a street gutter crack dealer. :eek:

Tex stayed many seconds longer than I would have...o_O

rcole_sooner and TheGoodTexan like this.

20. djh22

djh22 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Jan 12, 2012
    VA
    This will be my new response to so many things! :lol:

In her defense, the folks may have been legitimate clients. The IRS isn't interested in HOW you make your income, only that you REPORT all of your income (and I say that as someone who has prepared taxes for more than 30 years and who may have had prior clients with earned income from activities that may be frowned upon in some jurisdictions)

TheGoodTexan likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.