Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Wife says if I lose 30 lbs, I get a $800 guitar

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Southpaw Tele, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Gmountain

Gmountain Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Jun 7, 2015
    Florida
    T hat's it. To lose weight you must burn more calories then you consume. No goofy fad diet needed. Most people under estimate what they eat.

2. RedRiverII

RedRiverII TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Oct 5, 2017
    Fla.
    Great start Lefty. Think your way through it, let the results catch up to your thoughts.

3. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 21, 2007
    My mom's basement.
    Absolutely. Just start with moderate common sense changes. Don't waste efforts on anything that's not sustainable, extremes, or things that have no pleasure.

Getting physical activities in your life helps add pleasure when you're introducing the needed changes.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    teleman1 likes this.

4. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Wednesday night basketball has made a huge difference for me. Not only do I get a good run in and socializing that night, but it motivates me to do other training so I can hang with the youngsters.

RogerC and Southpaw Tele like this.

5. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    I lost eighty pounds in four months. That was a couple years ago, and I have kept the weight off.

Basic principles:
    * There's no way you can exercise enough to lose significant weight. Burn off a little, sure. And exercise is very good for you. Just don't assume you will lose much weight without reducing your intake.

* No temporary strategies. Make a permanent change in how you eat. Otherwise, you just put it all back on.

* Don't build your plan on a basis of going hungry. Nobody can do that forever.

* Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. If you lose one pound a week, that's fifty pounds in a year. That's success. Weigh yourself every day and watch the downward trend.

How? I just have a collection of things that together got me the results.

* Stop snacking. Don't buy that stuff, don't have it around. You don't need it, and it is harming you. Just cut it out.

* Take a look at your current diet. You don't necessarily need to cut out anything, just cut back the bad stuff 50%.

* Eat slowly. Your stomach will tell your brain when you have eaten enough, but it takes a while. Eat fast, and you "overshoot" the point where you should stop. When Mrs. D. and I go to the neighborhood steakhouse these days, I get the 6 oz. sirloin because the 8 oz. is too much. No typo, that's not 16 oz. vs. 18 oz. Just slow down a lot and let nature help you.

* Eat on time to avoid getting crazy hungry. Breakfast, lunch, dinner. No excuses. No time to eat in the morning? You don't need eggs Benedict with hollandaise sauce. Get up 15 minutes earlier, a bowl of frosted mini-wheats (whatever), a splash of skim milk, and you are set until lunch. Eat at noon, eat when everybody else does, it's OK. I spend 1/2 hour eating a half sandwich and it's enough. Used to be 15 minutes eating two sandwiches at 2 pm. You get the idea.

* Allow yourself to cheat a little, but keep it organized or you are sunk. I have some high-density calorie stuff I love. Jagrschnitzle. Biscuits and sausage gravy. Chicken fried pork chops. Etc. I keep a calendar, and I mark it such that I have those favorites occasionally in a planned way. Every two or three weeks, a treat. :)

LowThudd, Artunes, ladave and 2 others like this.

6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I lost 120 pounds in 1996.
    Now I can have all the guitars and basses I want.

7. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Friend of Leo's

Sep 24, 2016
    California
    My mom once lost 250 lbs and she didn’t even want a guitar!!

8. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

Avoid foods that make you hungrier. Sounds weird but some foods make you eat more. Refined carbs, sugary drinks, sweet pastries etc that release glucose quickly into your bloodstream cause insulin production to increase. That spike increases appetite. Go for low GI carbs that release slowly. They taste better as well.

LowThudd, rostgtr and Southpaw Tele like this.

9. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    I've been on a mission since the end of October to drop down to 175. I was 214 on October 27th and am at 198 as of this morning. I started running 3x/week (3-4 miles each time), doing BJJ, and counting all my calories with the MyFitnessPal app. I've dropped 16 lbs in 2 months and am well on my way to hitting my goal.

It's all about lifestyle change. Fad diets won't keep the weight off. I used to eat out for breakfast and lunch pretty much every day (chick-fil-a primarily). Now I have a serving of Greek yogurt for breakfast and will usually eat leftovers or a 6" turkey sub from Subway (no cheese or mayo) for lunch.

10. Lake Placid Blue

Sep 24, 2016
    California
    Great job. That’s really impressive!!

jaibee61 and RogerC like this.

11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Watch out with alcohol. Not only is it empty calories, but who here hasn't ever thought "why the heck did I eat (all) that?" and then thought, "oh yeah, because I wuz drinkin".

LowThudd and jaibee61 like this.

12. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

+1. I take leftovers for lunch and avoid fast food places. I don't do chick-fil-a.

jaibee61 and RogerC like this.

13. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    Thanks. It's not been easy. No fad diets, just hard work. I'm not a big fan of self control. I love to eat and hate to exercise, so I had to get competitive with it and set some scary goals. I'll be running my first 1/2 marathon at the end of March, and I want to run a 5k in <30 minutes in April. I had to force myself to run because I've just never enjoyed it. I'm finally past that now, though, and my cardio is good enough to let me enjoy being out there.

I work for a martial arts/fitness company and interact with a lot of really successful, fit people, so I was always very self-conscious when I was around them because my weight was a by-product of my laziness and lack of self control. I'm actually looking forward to our next event now.

Lake Placid Blue likes this.

14. Artunes

Artunes Tele-Meister

Mar 9, 2016
    Oshkosh, B'gosh
    I've been heavy basically all my life. There were two periods in my life when I lost significant weight (once in the '80s and once in the '90s). Both times I gained it all back and more. I developed some back issues about six years ago, and my knees are in bad shape, which makes it extremely difficult for me to do any strenuous exercise. Still, I was flabbergasted when I was weighed at the doctor's office and found that I was well over 300 lbs. Then, one day something changed. I did not make a conscious decision to lose weight. That day, about four years ago, Mrs. Artunes and I went out for steak, as we loved to do. After getting our food, I found that I could not eat nearly as much as I was used to eating, and I was used to eating a lot of food. I felt so uncomfortable, that I got sick when we got home.

I don't know what happened that day. Something physical? Something psychological? I don't know. What I do know is that starting that day, I have drastically cut down on my intake. Now, four years later, I've lost 100 pounds and kept it off. I do not keep caloric records or charts or regulate what types of foods I can eat. That's not my nature. My doctor asked me how I was losing weight, and I told him that I was simply eating less. That's it. I've always liked vegetables, so I make sure to get some of those every day. I probably don't eat more than five or six ounces of meat or fish per day. I was never a big fan of sweets or soda, so it's easy to avoid those (except at Christmas time...everybody makes cookies and stuff). I'll still eat anything that most people who are on diets avoid...pizza, lasagna, potatoes, chicken, fish, red meat, and beer. I just get full so quickly, that even with very little exercise I am still losing weight. I feel so much better, but I could still stand to lose 50 pounds. I'm not going to worry about it, or plan a diet, or change anything that I've done in the last four years. I think my body figured it out for me.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018

15. William SantAna

William SantAna Tele-Meister

Aug 22, 2017
    Brazil
    1st...by 3 hours eat a correct food...never gets hungry.
    2nd...cut masses, carbs, wheat, sugar and beer
    3rd...exercise..running...biking...swimming
    4th...sleep enough
    and
    5th...play guitar when you get auxious!

16. rostgtr

rostgtr NEW MEMBER!

Mar 22, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    The MyFitnessPal and Sparkpeople apps are great to help you keep on track. I also found this site over the weekend as I am back to trying to drop 15lbs. https://tdeecalculator.net/
    I workout daily but I do not track my food long (weeks) enough to really get where I want to be. My goal is to be better this month. :)

17. Lake Placid Blue

Sep 24, 2016
    California
    Your body will thank you when you get older.

imwjl likes this.

18. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    Eat less, do more. 'Couples Cardio' is a great way to get exercise...

Sandals without socks though....no wonder she's stayed with you!

Southpaw Tele likes this.

19. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 21, 2007
    My mom's basement.
    I'll say big time. That has been illustrated in jaw dropping crazy ways over the past two months via seeing family elders still with us, siblings, cousins and all of the next generation. There are plenty of problems but it's very obvious that some work and discipline really help with agility and quality of life.

20. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Friend of Leo's

Jun 30, 2008
    The Golden State
    Lol at all of this! We enjoy couples cardio, but not enough.

Lake Placid Blue likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.