Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Wife says if I lose 30 lbs, I get a $800 guitar

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Southpaw Tele, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Friend of Leo's

Jun 30, 2008
    The Golden State
    Tell your wife my wife is usually really cheap and this is an offer I never thought I'd get!

2. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

Mar 19, 2003
    Brasstown/Murphy, NC
    Ya'll here know my health history from about five years ago - I'm pretty damn lucky to be here. I'm also way overweight (I'm smack dab right on the 200lb. mark and I've never ever weighed that much in my life up until now) and I need to lose the weight and lose it before this coming December when I have to go back to Atlanta for a heart checkup.

I'm already a T2 diabetic and taking insulin three times a day (morning - afternoon - bedtime). I'm pretty sure that being put on the insulin shots have possibly reduced my life expectancy but - I want to lose the weight so I'll feel better. My back kills me nearly every day because of said weight (and arthritis has set up in my joints). I want to get back to a weight that I can manage. Like the OP, I used to have trouble gaining weight!! I weighed under 140 for a long time and then the pounds just suddenly starting adding on!!!

I know the wisest advice is "talk to my doctor" about what I should do but, I won't be seeing him again until March. So, a bit of helpful advice thrown my way would be nice, too.

Southpaw Tele likes this.
  3. Southpaw Tele

Jun 30, 2008
    The Golden State
    So, I started in earnest today. I ate 2 hard boiled eggs and a slice of leftover roast (leaner portion) from last night's New Year's Eve dinner. The 4 Hr Body diet also allows for carbs in the form of beans or lentils which also give me fiber and the farts, which is fun for my family. I am drinking coffee with a little creamer in it. I've done this diet to drop weight quickly in the past. Protein, legumes, and veggies every meal, 3 or 4 meals per day. It's not a hard one because I never go hungry on it. I'll weigh in every Friday before the Sat cheat day and track it. I'm a science teacher in real life, so I love data and graphs.

w3stie and Straydogger like this.
  4. Southpaw Tele

Jun 30, 2008
    The Golden State
    I talked to my doc and he said, "eat less and walk every day." We'll get there on the weight. It is indeed a lifestyle change. You have more challenges than most of us, so my hat is off to you. Hang in there and let's hold each other accountable. The real reward is increased health. I just feel nasty at this weight and nothing fits.

5. BradL

BradL Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Feb 9, 2009
    Sussex, UK
    I think it was Kate Moss that said "nothing tastes as good as thin" but what does she know?!!? :twisted: so if I want to beat the scales I also keep a daily spreadsheet with target-loss and actual-loss charts. I find it helps me insofar as it visualises progress and also to keep me on beam.

The whole weight loss thing isn't a linear process and I tend to hit these elongated plateaus (I know for sure this works the other way around too) where no matter what I give up food wise today my weight will be the same tomorrow. Once I accept those and think in terms of the one or two month horizon it's much easier to stay the course.

I've done my fair share of low carb diets over the years. Bit of a foodie so I go up and then have to take action. Usually I can lose 20+ lbs without too much trouble and 30 isn't beyond reach. Since my enthusiasm for staying the course can and does drop these days I tend to add in more exercise -my local gym has great programs for "un-fitties" and the wife and I now cycle and walk more regularly.

The first time I tried low carb diet to lose weight I picked my own variation which probably wasn't the best idea. Nonetheless I had sausages, bacon and an omelette for breakfast and ditto for an evening meal. I snacked on cold roast meats only and incorporated some vitamins and minerals just in case. Few days of headaches to start then fine both during and after the diet period. Lost about 35lbs and my cholesterol also "reversed" from 6.4 to 4.6.

What's absolutely great for me is finding an old but beloved piece of clothing I can't fit into on day 1 -this can be a T-shirt even- then finding it fits again once the weight is off. If you're a relative tight-ass (no pun intended!) with buying new clothes dieting actually saves money as all your old gear fits again. Not only that but you look younger and better wearing it too.

RedRiverII and Southpaw Tele like this.
  6. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 8, 2010
    Up North
    So logic dictates:
    30 lbs $800 Guitar
    20 lbs $900 Guitar
    10 lbs $1,000 Guitar

Dude!!!

7. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 8, 2010
    Up North
    Keep a BALANCED Diet and walk a lot!

Losing it Slowly increases your chances of keeping it off once you have lost it.

Best of luck.

8. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI
    This thread inspired me because I, too, am at an unhealthy weight and need to exercise and take much better care of myself. I read your first post to my wife and waited for her answer. "How about this" she said after a long pause, "you lose 800 lbs and you can have a $30 guitar."

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  9. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Meister

May 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Southpaw, If you loose the weight, get the prize, odds are you won't stay the weight and gain it all back. This has to be a permanent lifestyle change, or you are spitting in the wind. I am type II Diabetic. My maintain a decent A1c and take NO medication. But I can sit at a Birthday party, while everyone has a Canoli and I am just fine. Haven't had a soda since the diagnosis. Few people can do what I do. I just made up my mind that I do not want to accelerate my death. You overeat, you will be severely challenged as you age health wise, it won't be fun and you will die prematurely. I am so sorry to be so blunt, but that is the facts. And it is the facts that most people refuse to acknowledge. BTW 1 & 1/2 pounds per week is good normal weight loss. You might drop extra at the beginning, but it should level out to this. any more thatn that would probably mean you are dieting too aggressively. Yeah, I know, the $800 guitar sale won't last that long!

PS, Choose a diet you can deal with, not one that is a chore.

10. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    :lol::lol:

jaibee61 and Southpaw Tele like this.
  11. Straydogger

Straydogger Tele-Meister

Mar 26, 2017
    Western Pa.

She's a funny lady...LOL

drf64 and Southpaw Tele like this.
  12. Southpaw Tele

Jun 30, 2008
    The Golden State
    Ate two lettuce wraps for lunch. Must...get...guitar...

RLee77, Lake Placid Blue and drf64 like this.
  13. dickey

dickey Tele-Holic

Jan 2, 2010
    Florida
    Your wife will "let you" buy a guitar?

You don't need to lose weight; you need to grow a pair!

14. ladave

ladave Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Congrats on starting! Going to make same changes myself. Cutting out processed foods, and sugar. 30 days without junk food starting today!

15. Southpaw Tele

Jun 30, 2008
    The Golden State
    With that line of reasoning, she should grow a pair and buy whatever she wants? You ever been married?

16. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    More than once, I bet! :D

17. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Holic

Jul 10, 2014
    Tokyo
    30 pounds? Easy. First, stop eating sugar. No sweetened drinks, or foods which are heavily sweetened. Second, start using your feet, and not your car.

I spent most of my life driving a car, using it to commute, run errands, or just to drive around and listen to music. I drove almost everywhere I went, and often the most walking I did was to and from my car.

10 years ago I moved to Japan, and, for the first time since I was 16, found myself without a car. But I found I could get around well enough without one. There were shops and stores withing walking distance, and for longer trips I could take the bus or the train.

The amount of walking I do in a single day is often more than I used to walk in a week. And the walking helps. I am not the same weight I was in my 20's, but at 50, my blood pressure is the same as when I was 18, my resting heart rate is still low, and I can see my shoes without having to look over my belly.

Now I live in central Tokyo, and Tokyo is a good place to walk. Some days I will walk 20km or so, taking my time, enjoying the sights and sounds, and a meal or two along the way. My family has a lot of land in West Texas, where there isn't really much to see. But I find that even there, long walks are interesting, and there is more to see than I used to think.

jdawg614 likes this.
  18. dickey

dickey Tele-Holic

Jan 2, 2010
    Florida
    "You ever been married?[​IMG]"

I've never had the pleasure, but I can assure you if I HAD been married, I would not hafta ask permission to buy a guitar.

19. ladave

ladave Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Then I guess you won't mind when she comes home with a new $800 purse without discussing it with you first.

Did you ever consider this couple might have made an agreement between them of how they want to handle their finances?

20. Southpaw Tele

Jun 30, 2008
    The Golden State
    You know not what you're saying.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.