Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Wife says if I lose 30 lbs, I get a $800 guitar

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Southpaw Tele, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Tele-Afflicted

Jun 30, 2008
    The Golden State
    I weighed 120 when I got married 20 years ago. Could never keep on weight. Got into my 30s and 40s and started gaining weight rapidly. I'm at an unhealthy 210 right now. My wife told me she would let me buy a new guitar with a limit of $800. The most I've ever paid for a new one was $600 for a MIJ Mustang and about $700 for my Warmoth Jazzmaster. I need to get down to 180 and am thinking either 4 Hour Body or Zero Belly diets. Have tried both in the past with success. Any other dieting ideas?

Boomhauer and Smiff like this.

2. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    Eat only chicken... zero carbs... probably loose 30 in a month or less. The tough part is not gaining it back.

Toto'sDad, Rock-Ola, songtalk and 5 others like this.

3. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    Cut out sugar, bread, beer, and other carbs. You can drop 30 in like two months. Hopefully it will lead to minimizing those things in your diet for the long run.

4. drf64

drf64 Friend of Leo's

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI
    Mantra: nothing tastes as good as an $800 guitar sounds/feels.

5. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    Your wife loves you :)

6. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    Why are you typing on a web forum... get out there and get some exercise man!

Simple equation... burn more calories than you consume = guitar

good luck

jaibee61, MA6200, songtalk and 10 others like this.

7. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Tele-Afflicted

Jun 30, 2008
    The Golden State
    I'm not a beer drinker and I can cut out whiskey and vodka easily. My big problem is snacking! Man, I love to eat before bed while watching TV. The 4 Hr. Body Diet only allows beans and lentils for carbs 6 days a week and then you get one cheat day. I dropped 15 in a month doing that, but it's hard. I agree with posts about a lifestyle change. I want to KEEP it off, not just get a guitar and bloat back up.

Jakedog and Deeve like this.

8. 9fears08

9fears08 Tele-Meister

Jul 6, 2016
    Bristol, UK
    I am being serious as this worked for me (for a while but I have a child now and I’ve lapsed). Eat less, move more (use the stairs instead of the lift/escalator and do 20mins/half an hours running, cycling or swimming a day). Do eat carbs but only complex carbohydrates (like beans, google for more ideas) and cut out booze & sugar (sweets, cakes etc.). Finally, go back to doing what you do now from 6pm Friday to 6pm on Sunday ONLY cos you need to let steam off but it needs to be timetabled otherwise you lose track..

..if it works for you could you spare the money for an Epiphone SL? :D

9. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    If your wife loved you, she'd also tell you that she's selling TWO guitars if you gain it back...

Speaking from experience, there are lots of great motivators to get you to a place - that's the easy part compared to maintaining that goal.

10. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    Couldn't you lose 15lbs and get a $400 guitar?

11. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    I lost 100 lbs in a year eating only chicken. Took me several years to gain it all back...

12. hemingway

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    Actually, my motivation to lose weight was trying to buy jeans the other day. Those changing room mirrors and lights don't tell any lies.

Been out on my bicycle every day this week and I'm off the snacks.

unfamous likes this.

13. hemingway

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    I hope you mean only chicken plus green vegetables? Otherwise that sounds incredibly unhealthy.

14. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    If I got an offer like that I might be looking at the belt sander...

I'm so glad the holidays are over so I can try and lose all the carb weight I just piled on. Chicken, lean steak and salads with vinegar only can get er' done...along with 30 minute minimum walks a few times a week.

Good luck!

15. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

Oct 30, 2017
    Ohio
    I lost about 60 lbs 8 years ago. Started out low carb and switched to strict calorie restriction (1,000 a day) after about a month. Also did a lot of weightlifting to keep up muscle mass. Lost 60 lbs in about 3 months. Looked and felt great!

I didn't cut out beer or count it in the calories. I did switch to light beer.

Took 8 years to put it back on and I've decided it's time to do it again.

JustABluesGuy, Jakedog and Joe Sailor like this.

16. Colors

Colors Tele-Meister

May 12, 2016
    Nebraska
    I'm doing intermittent fasting right now. Noon till 8pm is when I can eat. 16 hours a day I do not consume food. I try and eat clean but don't watch it too much. So far it's been working 3 weeks at it I'm down about 7lbs. It's the easiest diet I've done.

El Tele Lobo and AAT65 like this.

17. rghill

rghill Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Oct 16, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    I’ve been looking at the 5/2 fasting diet. You eat normally 5 days and less than 500 calories 2 days. I think it’s doable.

I lost about 25 lbs by just restricting calories, but gained about 15 back thanks to fast food. Now I am back to low carbs and cutting out sugar and alcohol.

AAT65 likes this.

18. LooseJack

LooseJack Tele-Meister

Feb 4, 2017
    transit lounge
    Whatever you do, it's got to be something you can stick with for the rest of your life... unless... your fiendish plan is...to gain it back and lose it again to get another guitar...

19. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Afflicted

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Sounds like a great deal. What are you waiting for!? :D

Seriously, all the above advice sounds like the go. GL and keep us posted of your progress. :)

20. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    Friend of mine was at 250 last January,he went on a small portion low carb diet, and began the walk to run program outline in Bill Bowermans "Jogging" book, (it's old and out of print and crazy $$ second hand, but can be obtained thru interlibrary loan) it's a simple plan but very workable, and Bowerman was a thoughtful coach WAY ahead of his time. He now regulary runs 3-5 miles a day 4-5 days a week, and has done a few short races, he not fast but is down to 200 and his goal for this year is 180, diet alone is difficult you must include regular exercise even if it is the simple goal of walking 2 miles a day.

unfamous and Jimmy Owen like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.