Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Wider necks custom order?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by bananafist, Feb 23, 2015.

1. bananafist

bananafist Tele-Meister

Nov 14, 2011
    South Coast UK
    I've read most of the books, and played a lot of teles, esquires over the last 50 years. I read somewhere that Leo actually made custom order wider necks on strats and teles, but I've never come across an old (50s) tele or esquire with a wider neck. Has anyone here seen one, got one ? I'd be interested to know the width at the nut if you have.
    I once saw a 61 tele with Gibson type diagonal inlays in the neck, but that was a stock width.

2. pbenn

pbenn Tele-Afflicted

Apr 6, 2007
    Toronto
    One of the great thing about today's golden age of parts custom orders is speccing neck widths. But people who currently play a lot of thumb-over or Hendrix style guitar, for example, might not actually like a wider string spacing.

AFAIKnow in Fender history, the wider necks (1-11/16" instead of 1-5/8") were stamped "C" to mean their width, not their backshape which coexists as a parallel meaning. Normal necks are "B".

Interestingly, modern American Standards are also 1-11/16". Wider string spacing helps right hand accuracy.

Precisions also used to be wider in the early '60s, I believe, and they may have been stamped "C" as well. Those Pre necks were 1-3/4" wide instead of 1-11/16". More like a string bass.

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I went for a G&L ASAT partly because I could easily order it with a 1.75" nut.

4. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2014
    NE US
    To add to pbenn's post Fender also offered A necks (1-1/2 inch wide) and D necks (1-7/8 inch wide). In the A.R. Duchossoir Telecaster book he says the optional neck widths were available at extra cost in the 60's but are very rare on Telecasters as they were not listed with optional neck widths.

Hope some one here has one if they exist.

5. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

Aug 21, 2011
    ashland kentucky
    Also starting in 1960 you could order a Maple Cap neck.

Just think a big OLD 1 7/8 with Maple Neck

6. bananafist

bananafist Tele-Meister

Nov 14, 2011
    South Coast UK
    Thanks guys, interesting stuff. I guess not too many (if any) bothered ordering wider necks in the 50s.

7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I played an odd, stock 1963 Telecaster with a wide-big.
    It had a "veneer" rosewood board.
    It was a three tone sunburst, kinda black/red/yellow, and had body contouring of some kind.
    This was in 1985-86, when I was employed by Ray Hennig's Heart of Texas Music.
    The guitar belonged to the late Danny Thorpe, who also was employed at HOT.
    Danny was quite the cool guitar guru.
    The guitar had a rock star connection, perhaps Dave Davies of the Kinks, if memory serves.
    I'm not trying to be vague, or mysterious.
    It sounded great and had the biggest neck I had ever played on a stock, pre CBS Fender.
    The guitar was not a refin, and was moderately worn.
    I am as certain (as I can be) that it was stock, and unmodified.

8. pbenn

pbenn Tele-Afflicted

Apr 6, 2007
    Toronto
    This one? There seems to be noticeable pick wear at the treble side of the bridge...

Just noticed... D. Davies has the Tele in the Iceland 1965 video, but not in the Cavern Club 1964, or another clip that just went past (?) where he seems to have a strat with a painted neck back (?)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.