Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Wide Range pick up choice.

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by gluve95, Oct 11, 2017.

1. gluve95

gluve95 TDPRI Member

Oct 1, 2017
    US
    Looking at the possibility of replacing the pick ups in my 2016 72 Reissued Thineline. With either Craemery or Loller Wide Range. But first question is. I have read several places that the post 2012 Fender Wide Range pickups in the 72 reissue are much better then the pre 2012's . So will I get a worth while improvement going to Loller or Creamy. Second question which one. In the past I always played Strats. Liked but always felt like I wanted a fatter tone. So I word try a PAF Gibson's type guitar. Loved the big fat tone when I played them on their own. But when I would play them in a band situation I never liked how it sounded in the mix compared to a Strat. Then I got a chance to use a friend's 72 Reissue Thineline. Really liked it. As you all know single coil bite and humbucker fatness. It should be noted in giving me direction here that I do not like real bright highs. They seem harsh to me. This is why Telenator pick ups are not on my radar. Their quality sounds great. But most say they are bright. I'm leaning towards the Lollers . The reason bein the over driven sound clips and videos I have listen to of the Craemery sound great. But I can't find and truly clean clips. Even on the Craemery web page the even the clean examples sound dirty. I'm not looking for Twin clean. More like Blues Deluxe clean. So can you get a nice clean out of the Craemery. I also want true coil tap which I know the Craemery has the option of. I don't know about Loller. So based on all this long babbling on.(sorry;)) Give me some advice. And yes I I know I know this is all objective and personal. But I still want your opinions.

2. Peckhammer

Peckhammer Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle
    I just installed a set of Lollar WRHBs in a 2012 thinline. Absolutely glorious sound. The original pickups sounded very bland in comparison.

The Lollars were two wire type. Braided cable. You aren’t going to coil tap those. Here is a great comparison vid of the original fender, as well as Lollar and Creamery:

3. JimHalinda

JimHalinda TDPRI Member

Sep 27, 2013
    Canada
    I have Telenator T2s (alnico magnets instead of the $$$ CuNiFe) in my Modern Player Starcaster, and I don't think they're too bright.

For comparison, my other main guitar is an Ibanez AS-180 (335 type) with their Super 58 pickups, which gives a classic PAF type of sound.

I can switch between these two guitars and don't have to make any EQ adjustments at all.

Now when I switch to my Squier CV Thinline (with the stock single coils), that's bright! And thin.

The Telenators sound amazing clean. Regardless of whose you buy, check out Telenator's post on how to adjust the height of WRHBs, it really works at finding the sweet spot for these pickups (and as you will read, it's all about the neck pickup).

It works for any WRHB, not just the CuNiFe ones.

Read it here: http://www.tdpri.com/threads/how-to-adjust-a-cunife-wide-range-humbucker.715465/

Regards,

Jim

4. gluve95

gluve95 TDPRI Member

Oct 1, 2017
    US
    Thanks I
    Thanks for the reply. I'm defiantly all about the neck pickup my self. I probably use the neck pick up 95% Of the time. Might even be a waste of my money to up grade the bridge pick up. But with an upgrade I might like and use it more.

5. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2005
    N. Cal.
    I put a Lollar WR in the neck slot of my MIM '72 Thinline. Great, warm yet clear, beautiful tone. The original wasn't close.

6. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Holic

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    I've heard both Lollar Regals and Creamery WRHB in person. You'll love either both are fabulous.

I have a FSR 2008 72 Thinline. The original pups were muddy esp on the wound strings. Unless gain was cranked beyond crunch I thought they were fair at best. The fellow who did the Creamery upgrade on his AVRI 72 2012 Thinline gave me his Fender RI WRHB and I swopped out pups only keeping the 250 pots. I love them in the guitar esp the bridge pickup. I am contemplating trying a Regal in the neck position but the bridge RI Fender AVRI pup is staying. Very PAF like tone which is my sound in the bridge position.

Another thing you might consider is winning a Brandonwound auction and sending your pups out perhaps one at a time for a rewind to more original specs....

Telenator is done I believe don't know if he is producing anymore of his lower range stuff or rewinds......

Catswhisker is another choice worth looking into....like Creamery a UK winder. Seymour Duncan is doing a WRHB now too....priced just a bit below the Regals. There is a member here who just installed a pair, can't recall who it is.

Great, great guitar but it can be a finicky little beast! I must have played 20 samples - MIM, VM, Nash T 72, AVRI before finding the keeper I have.

Good luck!

7. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Holic

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    .....also the fellow who did the Creamery WRHB upgrade in his AVRI 72 Thinline had Noll guitar set up coil tap option with 500k pots. Not something I would choose but the guitar sounds amazing.

I believe MOJOTONE and SD both offer coil tap option as well.....Catswhisker too I think. You would have to call Brandonwound but I'd feel pretty sure he could set that up too....

So you want to split the neck WRHB but keep the Fender RI bridge in place? Not sure about that. My AVRI pups would rip your face off with 500K pots......

I've heard the Regals in a thinline with stock 250K pots and it sounded great. I think Jason has sound clips up with both 250K and 500K pots.....

See what I mean about finicky?

:)

8. reckless meanie

reckless meanie Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2011
    Madras, OR
    I have some Lollars in this Kirn. I have no complaints. I don’t think you could go wrong with them. B96DA23F-6960-4D79-80FD-B3FA03342656.jpeg

9. JORear

JORear Tele-Meister

Jun 11, 2017
    Alabama
    If you have a smaller budget, I would look at Brandon Wounds for WRHBs. I'm pleased with my WRHBs they wound for me. They don't sound exactly like my original WRHBs but they are really nice. The originals i have are hotter. I used 500k POTs in my 72 Deluxe Reissue and the 72 Thinline has 1k POTs. 20170605_165122.jpg 20160918_193057.jpg

10. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Holic

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    Wait.....

Ron Kirn makes a 72 thinline? With no F hole?

Oh my......

smelling a budget buster here....

11. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Vermont
    We're still doing all of our products until December 31st. Then we're done.
    Thanks for the mention.

hrstrat57 likes this.

12. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    I second the T2 while still available and use his pot (not plant) recommendation.

13. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Holic

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    Reviewing this thread in more detail appears the op is new poster who hasn't returned - missed that first time around.

Repeating what I've said previously in the forums, this place is solid gold researching all things WRHB. Telenator prob first and foremost but the countless thread discussing the topic ( and revealing the angst and controversy over the many variations of the WRHB) are amazingly informative and wildly entertaining!!

A full explore is highly recommended. Internet search WRHB or 72 Thinline and fantastic fun awaits!!!

Get a good one set up right and the 1972 Thinline is magical. Look up Tab Benoit interview discussing how he discovered his sound with the 72 Thinline.....

gluve95 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.