Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Wich squier should I choose?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Lucastambosi, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Lucastambosi

Lucastambosi TDPRI Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Brazil
    Hi there! Greetings from Brazil

Firstly I'd like to state that this is my very first post in the TDPRI. Here in Brazil guitars usually go 100% more expensive than in the US, so fenders are not options to be considered unfortunately.

Im about to buy a Tele for me. I've previously had the CV 50'S one. Although I quite loved the guitar, the skinny and glossy neck made me sell it. So, here are the current options available:

- brand new squier affinity in slick silver;
    - used custom II p90, cream-coloured;
    - used squier affinity (would do some upgrades, hence the lower price);
    - john 5 signature;

One thing that I'd like to add is that my hand prefers some chuncky les paul necks, but, strangely enough, I've loved the neck of an affinity I played!

So can you guys give me some light? Thanks!

2. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    Hello and welcome.

Since you are very specific about the neck, and prices seem so high, I'd suggest you try as many second hand as you can, and get the one with the neck that feels great to you.
    I have many Squiers and a few Fenders, and I don't even notice the difference in neck profiles any more.

Suggestion: start with the dual P90 Custom II.

Lucastambosi likes this.

3. Darkness

Darkness Tele-Afflicted

Apr 7, 2016
    Stygian Gulf
    Welcome! Lots of folks here are knowledgeable about Squiers. I’m not, but I wanted to extend greetings to you.

Carry on.

Lucastambosi likes this.

4. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Tele-Afflicted

Nov 13, 2011
    UK
    Welcome, if the neck is important to you, and you loved the affinity you tried, then I suggest that you try another and compare it with anything you can get your hands on.

Lucastambosi likes this.

5. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Dec 13, 2007
    Indiana
    I just picked up a Custom II P90 yesterday. The neck isn't huge but it's got a decent size to it. How much is this model used in your country?

Lucastambosi likes this.

6. Lucastambosi

Jul 29, 2017
    Brazil
    Thanks! This forum tends to be my main source of information about guitars! Lots of nice people over here

7. Lucastambosi

Jul 29, 2017
    Brazil
    This exact model costs almost 1k. Yeah.

8. Lucastambosi

Jul 29, 2017
    Brazil
    And what about the sound? My main concern is that I'd end up losing that Tele vibe with the P90.

9. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    As someone who is very much a "learner", the only advice I can offer is to try as many as you can that fit your budget - and then choose the one that fits your hand best.

10. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

I find Squier Teles to be quite variable on neck carve shape. Some are chunky while many are skinny. Depends on the supplier plant and Fender's design direction.

Easiest way for me if someone has pictures of a guitar I may be interested in, is the side of the neck has a 'flat' passed the fretboard glue line, or the carve starts behind the glue line. If the carve starts at the fretboard face corner then the shoulders of the guitar have had too much (for me) neck wood carved off. These will have the same width and depth but a lot of wood is carved away.

Nearly all the Squier Strats have no 'flats' so you can try these to know what is going on. I have an Affinity Tele that has the chunky carve while a more expensive Standard Squier (John 5 model) has the typical thin carve. If you look at MIM/MIA you will see more of a flat on the neck sides and more chunky feel to compare. So trying these examples can give you a way to focus on the specific guitar you might find used near you at the price/features you want.

11. 5ofeight

5ofeight Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Oct 17, 2016
    Glasgow
    I enjoy my Affinity Tele which I have had for over 2 years now. I would have no hesitation in buying another, great value for money..

12. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Dec 13, 2007
    Indiana
    IMO the P90s are not very Tele like. Closer to a humbucker but that's just my opinion.

13. Telecentric

Telecentric Tele-Meister

Nov 23, 2016
    Boulder Creek, Ca
    I'd go with the used affinity if you like the neck and color, and go from there.

14. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Billy, always Billy...

15. Lucastambosi

Jul 29, 2017
    Brazil
    When in doubt, billy has the answer

ftbtx likes this.

16. dustoff

dustoff Tele-Meister

May 23, 2005
    Glenview Illinois
    I have the john 5 signature and love it. Flat neck 12" radius. I find the bridge can still deliver the tele "twang" but can also howl like a beast. Try as many as you can and buy the one that feels the best.

17. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Welcome to the forum!
    My opinion, for what it is worth, go with the guitar with the best neck feel to you. You can always swap pickups, add effects, but the way the neck feels in your hand is what matters most to me.
    So if the Affinity works best for you that way, that would be my recommendation.

Have fun!

18. Troubleandahalf

Troubleandahalf Tele-Holic

Jun 2, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Are you able to order just a neck at all? I would have kept the CV and tried to find a neck I liked.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.