Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Why use a tube amp with a solid-state driver pedal?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by pughwilliam, Mar 2, 2014.

1. StickyWicket520

StickyWicket520 TDPRI Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Cincinnati, OH
    I've got a hard time believing the the complaints were coming from 8 miles away, but that's an awesome story nevertheless! :cool:

2. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I think Jimi answered this question about a half century ago.

3. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    People have been driving tube amps with solid state pedals for years now. Probably every rock guitar recorded in the last thirty years as well. Well almost all of them anyway.

to me, it just works. I dont question it. In fact I recently sold my old Chandler Tube Driver pedal (with an actual AX-7 tube in it) because I hadnt used it in years.

I've got a DRRI and i rarely turn it up past 3. Stays clean, I like it, if i want dirt, I have several different solid state dirt pedals to choose from, they all sound good. Similar but slightly different. My faves for it are the Dano Transparent Overdrive and the Nobels Overdrive and when I want something heavier, I have a modified Ibanez TurboDrive thing.

4. Stratty

Stratty Tele-Meister

Jul 17, 2012
    Prattville Alabama
    +1 when I play at church I have to keep it at two or lower, any louder will drown people out!

5. Kladen

Kladen TDPRI Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Jylland
    Try stacking your drive pedals :) the BD2 sounds awesome with either a boost or other OD in front of it.

6. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Holic

Feb 21, 2013
    Manitoba
    Ok I just skimmed this thread. Simple answer: Volume. I've got 4 tube amps:
    1) Fender '59 Bassman LTD (50W)
    2) Fender CVR (40W)
    3) Mission 5E3 (12W)
    4) Fender 73 Champ (6W)

Of these four amps, the only one that I can use cranked up into overdrive territory with a band is the Champ. The 5E3 is too loud and it overpowers the band in practice and at a gig well... The sound man doesn't let me turn it above 1 on the dial. As for the bigger two, it's not even a consideration because they're blowing everyone else away by the time either of them is into overdrive territory.

So, that means I need either an attenuator or a pedal. Tried the attenuator and found that while it did what it set out to do, the set up was more complicated and it just doesn't sound the same as when the amp is unthrottled. I tried a bunch of pedals and ended up discovering the Lovepedal Les Lius. It sounds EXCELLENT and gives me the tweed overdrive sound no matter which amp I'm using.

So there you have it. TL;DR: I use pedals because I don't have a master volume on my amps.

7. telerocker1988

telerocker1988 Tele-Afflicted

May 2, 2010
    IL
    I just prefer the sound of a Super or Twin Reverb with good headroom and the sound of the great drive pedals. A lot of them nowadays sound great and the versatility of a clean amp and lots of different OD flavors is something I really love.

8. Jubal81

Jubal81 Tele-Meister

Apr 17, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Tube amps distort the signal even when they're "clean." Even if they're not clipping they're adding harmonics. That's why we make engineers crazy. On paper, solid state circuits give more accurate reproduction.

As far as overdrives go, I prefer the ones that use cascaded transistors rather than clipping diodes.

9. regionguy149

regionguy149 TDPRI Member

Feb 25, 2014
    I certainly don't think the only reason people play tube amps is for tube dirt. The larger tube amps and thus larger more powerful tubes give a thickness to even your cleans. Much more so than el-84s, and obviously more so than solid state. So in those large tube amps you get superior cleans and with the right pedals there are plenty of great dirt tones to be had.

10. Tele-phone man

Tele-phone man Tele-Afflicted

Sep 11, 2006
    Asheville, NC
    This whole discussion is pointless. Everyone comes to this with their mind already made up. I don't think a single person reading this thread has come away with a changed mind.

The bottom line is that there are LOTS of ways to achieve great electric guitar tone. Some involve tubes, some don't. Use what YOU like; stop worrying about what others think, and stop trying to convince others that your way is the right way, and that they are going about it all wrong.

What a waste of time and energy.

11. pughwilliam

pughwilliam TDPRI Member

May 7, 2013
    Trois-Rivières QC
    That's the amp I have (1976 I was told). Love the overdrive around 8 on the volume dial. So what OD are you using? Is the overdrive similar to the cranked sound?

12. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    The West
    I have a buch of different pedals I use. None of them sound anything like the amp when it's overdriven. Pretty much everything I've thrown at the Champ has sounded great!

13. ashstrat07

ashstrat07 TDPRI Member

Feb 4, 2014
    Malta, OH
    Sharing ideas is fun. Your post was pointless, considering you think this conversation is pointless. I think tube amps sound quacky when naturally overdriven. I prefer clean amp with the slightest amount of breakup. Then I slam an OCD or Gain Changer into it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.