Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Why use a tube amp with a solid-state driver pedal?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by pughwilliam, Mar 2, 2014.

1. pughwilliam

pughwilliam TDPRI Member

May 7, 2013
    Trois-Rivières QC
    OK, so here it comes: I hear a lot of people suggesting buying a big amp to get the clean sound they want and using dirt for pedals.

But I've tried the Ibanez and Maxon TS9, the Boss Blues Driver and another (MXR I think) into a DRRI and the drive sound just isn't right to my ears.

Isn't the point of a tube amp getting dirt from the tubes? Or is there something I'm missing?

Thanks,

William

2. bernatdelpech

bernatdelpech Tele-Meister

I would say the DRRI already has a great drive sound at a lower volume, harder to get clean sounds loud on it without breaking up. On a Twin Reverb, dirt is hard to get to without damaging your ear. A tube driver helps drive the tubes into that dirt at a little lower volume. Meanwhile the TR can keep a clean sound to almost festival level loudness, or so Ive heard. Tube drivers help keep volume down, I use mine on a DeVille 410 clean channel, to keep a respectable volume playing, but Id agree to say that natural break up of tubes sounds better.

3. pughwilliam

pughwilliam TDPRI Member

May 7, 2013
    Trois-Rivières QC
    Glad to know I'm not the only one too hear that: I'm not crazy! I'd like to get a chance to use the Princeton or Deluxe reverb in a live context or at my house but unfortunatly, I'm the only tube freak I know.

It seems that you can't go wrong with one of these two. I'll just have to convince the missus and pick one up used when I find one.

4. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Because it sounds good

Drive pedals sound different in different applications. The tube screamer for example sounds great pushing the DRRI at gig volumes and not so hot in the bedroom IMO. Some kind of well designed distortion pedal will sound good at bedroom levels where a DRRI will never break up.

The secret is that the pedal is pushing the amp in a way that makes the tubes sing which needs to be pretty loud to get the benefit. Thinking black and white wrt tubes vs solid state will end up unfairly blinding yourself to good tone options. IMO

5. Tle4

Tle4 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 28, 2010
    Warrington, Pa. USA
    If I only have a one channel amp to play with, I would rather have the clean headroom and a good pedal. It is a more versatile setup to gig with than having an amp that breaks up too soon and you don't have a good clean sound available at stage volume.

Fiesta Red likes this.

6. rickvox

rickvox Tele-Meister

Jan 17, 2014
    West Allis WI
    Thats why instead of playing thru my fender 40 watt Deluxe VM amp with booster pedal to get a litle hair on the sound I am now playing with my 12 watt Fender Vaporizer. No solid state pedal and sounds warmer and more harmonic to my ear!

7. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    They are actually quite loud once you start to get any real grit out of them.

8. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    True, real tube drive is usually the best. IMHO

But to discount all pedals by the small sampling you've tried is being disingenuous. Try these and see if you then think same thing.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ
    Aslo because it sounds good when you turn it off.

10. Frodebro

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    I use dirt pedals for my amps that don't really do a good dirty sound on their own (or to add one more flavor to my channel-switchers), and boost pedals with my amps that have gain channels. There aren't any rules, just use what gives you the sound you're after.

11. PinewoodRo

PinewoodRo Tele-Afflicted

Hey! Another Award pedal fan. I also have the 'Matchbox' DI and it's great.

Some pedals work well with a particular amp and some don't. Some work ok at one level but not louder/quieter. Just need to experiment a bit IMHO.

12. dmarcus30

dmarcus30 Tele-Holic

You ought to try DECENT pedals and an amp that is better reviewed before pondering the question.
    As far as mixing SS and tube gear, that's the way most of the great tones of all time have been arrived at. It's the alchemy that makes it good (or bad), but seriously, get some decent gear.

13. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    Yes - you have to try an amp with better reviews :rolleyes:

14. CoolBlueGlow

CoolBlueGlow Tele-Afflicted

Nov 20, 2011
    Arkansas
    I dunno DMarcus, you think perhaps that's a little too harsh judging the TS9 that way?

Quite a few players seem to have have gotten a good tone out of that little green box over the years.

Just my opinion...

15. BartS

BartS Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2013
    St. louis MO
    I don't see why anyone would spend a dime on pedal period. People spend all this money on pedals trying to get the tone of this guitar player or that guitar player. When most likely most of the guys they are trying to emulate were probably spending their money on reefer and black sabbath albums and would still probably sound just as good with pretty much the same tone people are trying rip off them playing through a first act amp bought at the walmart with no pedals. Seriouslly all the distortion and grit people get is in their fingers. That goes for the highest gain metal to the nastiest twangy country.

16. Frodebro

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    Umm... Not really. You can't get a Twin Reverb to sound like a Triple Rectifier no matter what you do with your fingers.

This is like saying that you can replicate any color in the rainbow with a #2 pencil.

17. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    It really isn't necessary to pile on to this flippant comment, but ... the DRRI, BD-2 and TS-9 do get good reviews :rolleyes:

18. Frodebro

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    Most definitely. Nothing wrong with any of that stuff. It's just a matter of matching up everything in the chain-Guitar, dirt pedal, amp. They all interact to create the final sound.

19. CoolBlueGlow

CoolBlueGlow Tele-Afflicted

Nov 20, 2011
    Arkansas
    I dunno Bart, but when I thwonk down on THINGFISH, (that's my extensively custom modded 71 Princeton non-reverb) I don't care how hard or with what guitar, she ain't gonna get any measurable grit.

... and I have the scope traces to prove it. :)

Maybe if I hit it with a Theramin... A tube Theramin, I mean.

Cheers,
    cbg

20. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    I'm with you on this, I really like the way the Vaporizer breaks up at household volumes and responds to touch, you can be playing very clean and then get nice and dirty by just digging in a little harder, for a cheap amp, it's very responsive.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.