Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Why the hell does Albert Lee play a Music Man when he has a '52 and a '53 (

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by brokenboiler, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Dave W

Dave W Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2003
    Minnesota
    Yep. It's true.

If he preferred a Tele, Sterling Ball would have no problem making him a MM version of a Tele. But this is what he prefers.

2. loveguitar

loveguitar NEW MEMBER!

Sep 1, 2014
    toronto
    watch him and listen

Just saw him this past week in Toronto then Buffalo. Albert sounds like Albert no matter what he plays. The guitar is just a tool. He is a gift to all of us. By the way, he sounded amazing and played out of this world, as Albert can do! The MM is a great guitar. He could play on a slice of bread with strings and still sound terrific.

3. DRFP

DRFP Tele-Holic

Apr 13, 2014
    Memphis
    Don't get this thread? I play a Tele because I love it! Other players love other guitars. Honestly its not a contest. One time I loved Ibanez why? They played well, then I loved my strat, now I love my Teles

4. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2007
    Chicagoland
    If I owned a '52 or '53 I wouldn't be taking it out much.

The guy can play whatever he wants, although in my opinion he sounds better on a Telecaster style guitar. Same with Burton. He doesn't HAVE to play his '53 or '69, but it would be nice to hear him play on something a bit more tele traditional. But again, these guys made more ground breaking tones on a Tele than the entire membership of this forum. They can do what they please.

5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    I read in an interview with Albert years ago that (designing the EB MM guitar) he wanted a sig model that fit in the airline overhead carry on compartment, and had Strat style pickups.

I reckon if he had still wanted a Tele sound he would have asked for it, and it would still be HIS funny looking guitar to carry on (with) as he pleased.

6. jbdrumbo

jbdrumbo Tele-Holic

Mar 28, 2010
    athens ga
    ...since I can't completely erase this post, I'll substitute a joke.

Q: What's the difference between a bull and an R&B band?
    A: A bull has the horns in front and the a**hole in back.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014

7. glfklee

glfklee Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2008
    Santa Fe, NM
    I always thought that his guitar looks like him or vice versa :(:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2008
    Cologne
    I think he just likes the quack ...

9. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

Albert likes a very light set up.
    He uses 9 strings and when he first started playing they were 8.5.
    He likes his friets almost even with the neck and his touch is extremely light.

I have played one or two of his signature MM's and they seem to be the ideal guitar for him.
    He said on one of his videos that he seldom brings out any of his vintage guitars anymore because it is too easy for something to happen to them.

10. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    "I bet Ernie Ball gives him money to be seen playing it (it's got his name on it, so of course he's getting paid)."

That's not even close to how endorsement deals work - especially with smaller companies and players...no matter how good...that are "club headliners" (I.e. Not the type that fills larger venues, like Clapton).

With signature models most get a certain number for free, and often modded specifically to their specs (off the shelf sig models are often very different than the player's personal guitar(s). Guitars over the limit (or other models) they buy - with one major company it's dealer cost less 10% (that's just an example and may have changed).

Sometimes a major artist gets a kicker from sig model sales - but not money for playing it.

For those without sig models endorsees normally pay a highly discounted price or are, in a a very few cases, given one or two instruments;amps are more often loaned.

There are a ton of variables, usually related to how tight the controls are over what brands can be played in public (studio work is not restricted unless filmed/photographed).

In Albert's case he had his original Evans Pull String removed from the 50's Tele he'd had it moved to, updated, and reinstalled in the 70's Evans butcher-block body. His contract did not allow him to play Fenders, Gibsons & other major makers' instruments or be photographed with them except in specific circumstances, but he could play the Evans. He wanted to use a bender at clinics & on stage and at the time EB had not been able to make him one that worked the way he liked it.

(Strings and most other accessories endorsees get in certain amounts for free).

11. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

Mar 22, 2010
    Ohio
    Why is this important?

12. Zuzax

Zuzax Tele-Holic

Sep 1, 2011
    Texas
    Because for some the internet is a zero-sum game. There can only be one right choice. Everything else is wrong and exposed as such.

This argument is similar to the "stop-liking-what-I-don't-like" approach to internet discussion.

13. markbastable

markbastable Tele-Meister

Jun 20, 2010
    London

How dare you come in here apparently knowing what you're talking about? Are you trying to destroy the entire internet?

14. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    Because he's Albert Lee and can do what ever he likes. I just saw a video of a soundcheck with Cindy Cashdollar. I wish my tone sucked like that. (And that I had the chops to go with it)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.