Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Why the hell does Albert Lee play a Music Man when he has a '52 and a '53 (

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by brokenboiler, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Sambonee

Sambonee TDPRI Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Mississauga.
    I've owned 2 of them. First one got for $825 used. Bought it bc a local dealer only have the AL MM90 as its only p90 guitar on the shelf. Being a p90 guy, I used it to hear some amps. It slowly took a hold of me. I flipped it and just got another in sunburst. Mint. They're a joy to play. Once you get the feel of them the look grows on you. The can sound super fat. I played mine through a Carr hammerhead II on my YouTube channel www.youtube.ca/sambonee

It's was the 2011 ribfest. Loved playing it. The trem is useable even without the bar. Not unique to the AL MODEL. ENJOY!!!! .

2. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

May 18, 2013
    United States
    I can't imagine the anxiety you would feel bringing a 52 or 53 anywhere except your living room...

Plus, if a guitar company decided they wanted to make a model after me, and pay me to play it....well, I would make myself like it!

Additionally, I can't imagine it is too different than a Tele...it has single coil pickups, and I am sure the neck on that thing must be great.

3. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Albert likes a combination Strat/Tele-ish tone; the Strat tone especially in the #2 switch position (bridge and middle on). He had a phase switch on his '53 to try to get the same thing but wasn't satisfied with the thinness and lower output, nor does he like Strat bridge pickups much by themselves.

MM came to him with an endorsement deal that included him designing his own model with their input; Fender didn't (as I recall, just a "signature model" Tele). So he got what HE liked from MM and as such has been with them for decades - end of story.

The one thing that was bugging him, though, is that at clinics and onstage he wanted to use his Pull String from time-to-time, and he had had the mechanism removed from the original Evans butcher-block body and installed in the '53. And the EB Company would NOT let him play a Tele at MM clinics!

So they made him a Silhouette with an awful bender (the throw was about 1 1/2"...maybe more). He hated it but he could at least show how a bender worked at clinics. They were supposedly going to make a shorter-throw one in one of his signature models (THAT would be an intriguing guitar, except for what IMO is a vey uncomfortable bridge) but I don't know if it ever happened. Problem solved when Dave Evans started making Pull Strings again - Albert had him take the old mechanism out of the '53, upgrade it to the new design (Serial #1) and put it BACK in the old Evans body, which he'd kept. EB Co. doesn't have any problem with him using a guitar from a small maker like Dave (not sure what happened to the routed-out '53 body.).

Before people flip out about routing the '53 Tele body, it was done back before the vintage craze really got traction...

Anyway, that's the story as I recall it being told by Albert. Any mistakes in it are mine!

4. JT55

JT55 TDPRI Member

Sep 7, 2013
    50 Brookside Dr.

5. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Holic

This ^

6. Telecutt

Telecutt Tele-Meister

May 20, 2009
    Hemingway's Bar, Cuba
    I'd love to have a lefty Albert Lee sig. The trouble is, there are so many guitars, including at least two more Teles, that I'd like to have and would buy before I got around to a guitar like that.

7. Slim Picker

Slim Picker Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2013
    South of The Border
    Great, if you like that sort of thing. I can't listen to either of them. Sorry.

8. bun malaey

bun malaey Tele-Afflicted

Sep 14, 2012
    Shertz, TX
    The most basic and simple answer is the one no one will accept.

Because he liked the musicman better.

9. Telecatasin

Telecatasin Tele-Meister

Oct 3, 2012
    NSW Australia
    I have only one word for these guitars and that's UGLY.

10. pmcgee

pmcgee Tele-Meister

Jun 17, 2013
    Canada
    I met Albert at the Namm show back in 07. He is a very nice man I might add. At that time he was using Ernie Ball 8's for strings.
    I like his tone. That's Albert Lee. Suits his style of playing.

11. rogb

rogb Tele-Holic

Jan 3, 2012
    London, England
    Can't hear much wrong with AL's MusicMan tone hear, maybe the best of the bunch.
    Of course, duelling with Gatton there can only be one winner, much as I love Albert:D

12. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway

Yeah, being a master player is no guarantee for good taste in guitars!:D;)

Must be one of the most asymmetric guitars ever made ... There even aren't two straight lines that are parallel ... Must've been designed under the influence ...:oops:

13. TheRumRunner

TheRumRunner Tele-Afflicted

Seems appropriate, let's hear what the man himself says....

DW

14. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm just so pleased he recovered so well from that fall a couple years back, that Albert can do whatever he likes.

I really think, though, that MM would gain credibility if they let Albert use a Tele for a few songs here and there. To me, it is as though Sterling knows full well the Tele would kill the MM, and he doesn't want the world to see incontrovertible proof.

If MM is so sure of their product, they need to demonstrate their confidence.

15. missinglinkwray

missinglinkwray Tele-Meister

Jun 11, 2008
    Baja Arizona
    I'm semi-obsessed with these guitars... The look is way cool, I bet it plays beautifully. With you guys raggin' on it, I thought I'd show some support. The solid rosewood neck idea is great, especially with rubbed oil. I hear nothing but good stuff from guys who have actually played the thing.

I want one bad, but I'd have to go to phoenix to play one, it's a bit far.

16. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire

I really didn't like either of the Tele's tone on that Lee, Gatton, Gill clip. I thought Albert's solo was executed the best, then Vince. I cannot get into Danny Gatton's tone or playing on this clip.

17. devnulljp

devnulljp Tele-Meister

Apr 28, 2008
    Canada
    I bet Ernie Ball gives him money to be seen playing it (it's got his name on it, so of course he's getting paid).

You could also give that guy a Stop Dreaming Start Playing Squier Starter pack and he'd sound awesome though.

18. slippin slider

slippin slider Tele-Afflicted

Jul 30, 2013
    California
    I at this time defer to Albert Lee's professionalism, skills and taste.
    When Gibson introduced the Flying Vee, Explorer, and Moderne.
    Well we were much offended "we" thought the tasteless and eye sores.

I think the age of sputnik and space flight, EDSELS, STUDIBAKER HAWKS,melmac plastic dishes formica topped tables, peguin coolers, sea foam green tomatoe red, "we" were seeing thing from the perspective that created "The Jetsons". Style, and cultural influences are alluded to by the thinks that we design.

Albert Lee's guitar shape speaks to another era and I bet the guitar stays wdear it's supposed to be unlike a firebird (clunk)

If elroy jetson had a strat it would look like the music man

Attached Files:

19. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

May 3, 2011
    Bristol
    I still think the Vee, Explorer and Moderne are tasteless eyesores!

20. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2003
    Philadelphia, PA
    Remember...he's not a chicken picker from Nashville. When I was a kid, he was a rocker not a country-player. I'm sure his roots have influenced his style and tonal preferences. He's applied some Strat-quack to country music. Never really been done before, that I can recall. So, this has become his style. Kinda unique to him, which is OK by me. He's a fabulous player with any guitar - IMO. The MM guitar is Strat electronics in a modified body shape, as far as I'm concerned...with a brass plate on the bridge pickup to mimic a Tele. But, I've rarely seen Albert use it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.