Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Why the hell does Albert Lee play a Music Man when he has a '52 and a '53 (

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by brokenboiler, Nov 24, 2012.

1. bun malaey

bun malaey Tele-Afflicted

Sep 14, 2012
    Shertz, TX
    Me thinks far to many people are sitting on the internet pretending to play, criticizing others and just plain being retarded instead of actually playing the guitar.

2. JohnK24

JohnK24 Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Western PA
    THIS X 100....each time I've seen him at Crossroads or other videos, his tone is horrible...thin and sterile. That guitar is ugly beyond words.

3. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    I played one at NAMM once, I guess right before they went onsale nationally.

Maybe it was just that guitar, but that was the most comfortable neck I've ever played on.

Albert's getting on in age now, and I suspect the comfort factor of the guitar itself (it looks weird but its extremely easy to hold and play) might have something to do with his choice.

I tried to find one in Atlanta for a long time after that; I was usually told I've have to go to Nashville to find one.

Never did....

4. 20721

20721 Former Member

Sep 28, 2012
    San Diego
    Can't remember the last thing I heard Lee on, but "sounds bad/thin/not as cool as he used ta" was not the first thing that came to mind. It ain't my thing but the guy can play the bejesus out of the guitar.

Not a fan of the looks of that guitar, but I'm not a fan of the looks of a Tele either, so that's a wash as far as I'm concerned.

Now, one of the local rocket scientists can enlighten me as to why it's a good idea for Mr. Lee, or for that matter anyone, to take a five-figure instrument out to every two-bit cow palace in the country. Hell, I've got a vintage (and very irreplaceable) bass that I get paranoid about taking to recording sessions these days, never mind a gig. I'd like to - it's the best live instrument I've ever played - but I can't take the risk anymore, the thing is simply too expensive. Cort makes one that retails at a tenth of the value of my oldie, and I use that live instead, and it's about 90% of the axe that can't be replaced. Good enough, says I. Apparently Mr. Lee feels the same way.

5. thumbpick

thumbpick Tele-Afflicted

Nov 22, 2012
    somewhereville
    Mr. Albert Lee is one of the best country pickers ever,he can use whatever he likes. I think a lot of us are used to his Tele tone, it goes hand in hand with the licks and solos that we have come to love. I just wonder why the Musicman, which is an excellent guitar, is not offered in the Tele or Nashville pick up layout. Add a B bender and I'm all in.

6. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Tele-Afflicted

Jun 18, 2009
    Hogtown,KY.
    With all due respect,it looks more like the George Jetson signature model.

Fugly,indeed!!! :cool:

7. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 8, 2007
    Norfolk UK
    A lot of players may well ditch the Telecaster is its not a great guitar ergonomically speaking .Other guitars with a longer top bout hang and play better .They bring the fret board closer to the player than a Tele .I have two teles but a strat shape is just a tad quicker for me to to play .I keep meaning to get a Nashville strat body made but I like paulwonia for weight so never get round to it .You will have to forgive my foibles as I have never really liked heavy guitars.My Fender Tele is an ash thinline and my other a P-wood ceiling floater .

8. telegat

telegat TDPRI Member

Dec 7, 2012
    USA
    Because he gets paid to play one.

9. LarsOS

LarsOS Tele-Holic

Oct 24, 2011
    Norway
    Ok, I'll bite.

So ... how do you know that?

10. Ed P

Ed P Friend of Leo's

Nov 9, 2006
    California
    I've embraced my internet nerdiness!

11. Lawson

Lawson Tele-Meister

Dec 19, 2011
    Norway
    I havn't known of Albert Lee for very long, but I quickly associated him with the musicman. That is "him" to me. Don't really care what axe he plays, I care about what he plays ON the axe. With that said, I don't really care much for his playing, as we all have different taste.

12. GopherTele

GopherTele Tele-Afflicted

Oct 1, 2003
    Sorry but Albert Lee's tone just plain stinks.

Thin, frail, no balls, all plink.

His playing is beyond question, but his tone aint.

There are some people who seem to think if he's Albert Lee, his tone is somehow great because he is.

I watched the live Iridium thing a few months ago and the tone was el stinko too.

13. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

May 3, 2011
    Bristol
    Like I said in an earlier post - listen to Sweet Little Lisa and tell me if you think he sounds thin and plinky in that.

He was playing a Tele on that. 'Nuff said.

14. Maxadur

Maxadur TDPRI Member

I'll go with this comment as well.. Give me his scrappy tele tone from Luxury Liner any day.

Spectacular player

15. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    As far as I know Ernie Ball introduced both in the same year.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's basically a continuation of what Leo Fender did because the original Stingray wasn't just a bass, there was a matching guitar too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Same with the Sabre series.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

However, there's a reason why everybody remembers the basses but not the guitars. Imagine that typical Stingray sound but on a guitar and you'll get the idea, that toppy high-end just didn't sound all that good on a guitar, nor was the active EQ popular with guitarists...

16. John C

John C Tele-Afflicted

Sep 20, 2005
    Kansas City
    Quite true - I was starting out in the late 70s when the originals were out; the guitars weren't very well received. I guess I don't consider the EBMM Silhouette to be a continuation of what Leo was doing; the body is actually quite different, Leo never used the 4+2 headstock on the guitars (only the 3+1 on the basses), the return to commercially available passive pickups (Schallers or DiMarzio in the early days).

To me the continuation of Leo's Sting Ray and Sabre guitars was really the G&L F-100 - the early G&L body shape is very close to the Sting Ray/Sabre bodies.

[​IMG]

17. Blazer

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    I actually meant that the Stingray 5 and the Silhouette were bass/guitar versions of each other.

The G&L F-100 and the L-2000 bass are basically the Sabre series but without the pickguards. Although people who own both a Sabre bass and L-2000 bass tell me they sound different from each other.

And speaking of the Sabre bass, with the release of their new Tony Levin series signature basses, Musicman has brought it back after 20 years of not having made it.
    [​IMG]

18. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Right.

If FMIC had acquired EBMM, or just the MM part, they'd have run it into the ground, and production would be quit.

Just like Hamer.

And Mr. Lee would be using something else.

+

I was just thinking on the recent thread about Danny, and how everyone was gonna demonstrate to Danny what decisions he should or should not make.

Look, these guys (thank you Jesus) are not Michael Jackson. Let them do precisely what their muse tells them to do. Stop trying to push them this way or that.

19. Blazer

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Err... I don't know under what stone you've been hiding but Hamer is alive and well.

http://www.hamerguitars.com/

20. John C

John C Tele-Afflicted

Sep 20, 2005
    Kansas City
    No, unfortunately it was quietly announced last Thursday/Friday that Fender's shutting down Hamer USA; it was posted first on the Hamer Fan Club by BFR Greg (who was a huge Hamer dealer in the 90s/early 2000s) and confirmed by Kim Keller. They had been custom order only for the 3-4 years anyway - no standard production since 2008 - and evidently they were only doing 30 or so guitars a year. They are going to complete the orders they have in the shop and have stopped taking new orders.

The Kaman/Ovation/Hamer factory is still open; they were already doing both Ovations and Guilds there so it will just stop doing the handful of Hamers; at least none of the workers are going to lose their jobs.

I've also heard some "wishful thinking" rumors that this means there might be some Guild electrics comeing out of the shop in the future, but that is really just wild speculation at this point.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.