Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Why the hell does Albert Lee play a Music Man when he has a '52 and a '53 (

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by brokenboiler, Nov 24, 2012.

1. brokenboiler

brokenboiler TDPRI Member

Aug 31, 2008
    grimsby uk
    Okay, he maybe doesn't want to take his old guitars on the road anymore, he gets Music Man's free etc....
    But Albert is a Tele legend and has inspired just about every (country) Tele player to come after him. And his guitar tone these days sucks!
    I'm sure the custom shop could replicate his '53 for him.

2. dconeill

dconeill Tele-Afflicted

Maybe he likes the Music Man better.

3. PeterVV

PeterVV Tele-Afflicted

Sep 14, 2011
    South Wales, UK
    Call me sceptical, but maybe its a sponsorship thing?

4. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 8, 2007
    Norfolk UK
    The Music man is rather good .I would buy one any day.

5. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

May 3, 2011
    Bristol
    I ask myself the same question. Listen to something like Sweet Little Lisa then listen to him now on the MusicMan - it's light and shade, he sounded so much better on a Tele. The MusicMan sounds so thin and anaemic.

I rate MusicMan guitars and had a very nice Silhouette but whatever it is, Albert's sound went downhill when he dropped the Tele.

I guess it's an endorsement thing.,

6. JamonHamon

JamonHamon Friend of Leo's

Musicman Albert Lee is a fantastic guitar....But I don't like his setting on his amp, It dose sound thin

BTW I have a 1994 Pinkburst only color when they first came out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PscAZyOMGiA

7. sir humphrey

May 3, 2011
    Bristol
    It is a great guitar, but different guitars suit different players. I bought my Silhouette because a country guitarist friend sounded so good on his. I didn't sound as good on it as I did on a Tele. He didn't play a Tele because he sounded better on the Silhouette. Horses for courses.

Unless he changed his amp setting drastically the minute he started playing the MusicMan I think the guitar has a lot to do with it in his case.

8. JamonHamon

JamonHamon Friend of Leo's

BTW Give me a great Tele with Don Mare pickups and I'm in heaven

9. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Maybe he likes it and plays it because he handpicked the specs. If I recall correctly, he had quite a lot to do with the design of that guitar.

10. H. Mac

H. Mac Friend of Leo's

May 26, 2012
    Atlanta, Georgia
    I think so too. When I see a celebrity playing a certain brand of guitar, I think, "that's what he plays in public, but I wonder what he plays in his living room."

11. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    I don't know but I can hear Albert Lee and I know it's him. He sounds different, absolutely unique IMO. I like his sound. It's weird, but he's so good I like it! His leads are like he's filling up the ant farm tunnels with tiny silly string, and it glows in the dark.

12. aidB

aidB Tele-Meister

Jan 31, 2009
    Northants UK
    I think they look fugly. I'd never consider buying one.

[​IMG]

13. stinkey

stinkey Tele-Afflicted

Apr 4, 2010
    malmö sweden
    He could play anything and it would sound great!

14. Donelson

Donelson Tele-Afflicted

May 31, 2011
    Nashville TN
    Another stupid bashy thread. Seems like they are increasing in number on this forum.

Albert Lee has been using these Music Man axes for umpteen years. I'm sure he plays & sounds better than any poster here, wielding any known or unknown guitar. I would trust his judgment any day over some internet nerd's.

Music Man was Leo's next company after he cut ties with "Fender".

From wikipedia:

"The Music Man story began in 1971 when Forrest White and Tom Walker talked with Leo Fender about starting a company they would call Tri-Sonic, Inc. White had worked with Leo in the very early days of Fender Electric Instrument Manufacturing Company as the plant manager and stayed on after the company was sold to the CBS Corporation, but had grown unhappy with their management. Tom Walker worked as a sales rep at Fender. Because of a 10-year non-compete clause in the 1965 contract that sold the Fender companies to CBS, Leo Fender was a silent partner."

Maybe this would have been a "fun topic" to discuss in 1993 or so. This is 2012, almost 2013!

I heard Albert live at Exit/In around 1977. He had that same unique sound, back then. He uses rubber-band strings, & a heavy attack. That IS his sound. He likes the super-thin strings for the bendy chord stuff.

15. brokenboiler

brokenboiler TDPRI Member

Aug 31, 2008
    grimsby uk
    I'm not saying Music Man aren't fantastically made guitars cos I've played a few and they are really nice. Albert is friends with Ernie Ball and helped design the guitar. He can fly anywhere in the world and play one off the shelf and not worry.
    But.... If Albert had not been playing that snappin, twanging, singing '53 would we have Vince, Brad and all the other players that loved the look and sound of a guitar with so much character that (as Albert said in many interviews) made him play a certain way and developed his style.

16. sir humphrey

May 3, 2011
    Bristol
    The only one doing any bashing here is you - everyone else has been respectful. You're coming across as a bit of prat.

17. zwayne

zwayne Tele-Meister

May 16, 2011
    Michigan
    Yep, it's a signature model.

18. Ramblin Ray

Ramblin Ray Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    New York
    I've had a beautiful sunburst Albert Lee since 2000 and it is the perfect foil to my 2 Teles. Albert usually plays on the "in-between" setting on his MM. If he played on the lead pickup alone (which has a plate on the bottom) and you weren't looking, you'd think he was on the Tele. I wish I had the neck shape of the MM on my Teles, and the build quality as well. I've seen Albert at B.B.Kings and the Iridium in NYC in the last two years and his tone was anything but thin, even on the setting he prefers. Alot of his early Tele work was done with strings that were quite light. He now prefers 10's with a .015 G string. Obviously, it's all personal opinion what tone you prefer to hear from Albert, but I do suggest seeing him live in a small club to get the full effect of his amazing talent, and tone. Just bring a tissue, cause he's just about brought me to tears a couple times!

19. Slowpoke

Slowpoke Tele-Holic

Dec 3, 2011
    Mandurah. West Australia
    I tried a Musicman same as Albert uses, it belongs to a mate of mine. I found it a bit thin too but overcome that by raising the mid control on my amp (Roland Cube 60). Then I played my mia Standard Tele and lowered the mid again and the sounds were pretty much the same. So I guess Albert needs to up his mid sound if only to please a few on this forum. I'll mention it to him if I ever see him again. Oh yes I have met Albert at Wembley in the 70s when he first joined Emmylous Hot Band. I think Alberts Musicman is more comparable with a Strat... Tch, tch, I'm now going to wash my mouth out....:lol:

20. fenson

fenson ---------------------------------

Mar 24, 2007
    Canada
    as good as he is (A.L.) IMO his design ideas SUCK BIG TIME , also IMO Leo ran out of good ideas in the early sixties IMO MM and G and L do nothing for me!
    I know but you am I right lol

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.