Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Why the hate for gold plate?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Donny Osmond fan, Jun 13, 2018.

1. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

So you are a plater, not a hater? :lol:

Scooter91, bender66 and boredguy6060 like this.

2. coloradojeff

coloradojeff Tele-Holic

Feb 17, 2012
    Colorado
    LOL... I just checked and I have FOUR guitars with gold hardware. A Les Paul, an SRV Strat, a Custom Shop Strat and a Mary Kaye Strat.

Imagine....I'm not in style. I doubt I'll make it through this unscathed.

3. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2003
    ohio
    California Custom Purple Polish, followed by their wax.

4. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Meister

Aug 20, 2017
    Federal Way, Washington
    I don't "hate" gold, but it seems to wear off pretty fast, no matter how well you care for your guitar. Even if you just store it in the case, it seems to pit and flake at a sometimes, much faster rate than nickel, or chrome. If it were to stay gold for a few years, I certainly would probably have one. Heck, if the price is right, I may someday end up with one anyway, but probably an acoustic. (not so much gold on those except for the tuners). My brother has a wine red LP Custom w/gold hardware, and it's beautiful. But in a few years, it'll look dull and pitted. To some, I guess, these are desirable qualities, but not for me, I like em to stay blingy.....my .02 cents.

5. Larmo63

Larmo63 Tele-Holic

Feb 1, 2018
    San Clemente, Ca
    It's just out of style right now. The eighties might come back............someday.

6. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Holic

Nov 12, 2016
    Virginia Beach, Va
    Not a fan of it myself but I dont hold it against anybody that has it. I'm not real big on goldtop guitars either

7. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    I don't mind it.

It doesn't rust, and it tarnishes to a well-worn finish that I'm quite partial to.

Most of the hardware on my main gigging guitar is gold.

It makes an appealing contrast against the gloss black, which I find warmer to look at than the starkness of black and chrome.

Not sure I'd like gold hardware on a Tele though - that would be like a rough and ready Welder turning up for work in a 3-piece...

twr102 likes this.

8. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

Oct 30, 2017
    Ohio
    Yuck.

Hate isn't too strong.

I'd never own an axe with gold hardware.

The only gold I'm interested in is the kind I have buried in undisclosed locations. Or do I?;)

RomanS likes this.

9. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Afflicted

Nov 25, 2011
    Perth Australia
    I have 3 old guitars which have/had gold plated hardware, mostly worn off now:
    '71 Guild D55, '79 Washburn Eagle and an '81 Epiphone Sheraton.
    I'm not a fan of gold but can live with it for the greater good..........my guitar collection! :p

10. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    Keep removing your gold hardware. More for me. I like that it wears quickly & think it looks good to boot.

I'm convinced it's mostly the crowd that keeps their guitars immaculate at all costs. Thats not me.

The one that bothers me is the all black hardware on anything, especially black on black.

"I'm sorry, is that a guitar your playing? I cant see anything in that black hole you're holding."

11. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Meister

Jun 2, 2015
    Arkansas
    Gold is VERY expensive,so the thinnest possible application is applied, and it wears off quickly. I don't hate it but would not buy gold plated hardware. It's not worth any additional price to me. Chrome or brass is fine.

12. Dan335

Dan335 Tele-Meister

May 15, 2018
    Nashville, TN
    I had a black Jaguar w/gold hardware & it looked ok but it was beginning to pit & wear...wish I still had it..it was a GC special edition MIJ....I'm w/a lot of the other posters here... on certain guitars it looks ok....

13. kuvash

kuvash Tele-Afflicted

Feb 13, 2010
    Upper California
    well what about if John Mayer really liked it. :)

14. Sinner1980

Sinner1980 Tele-Meister

Dec 11, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Never been a fan of gold plating nor gold in general and find it very 'tacky'. Even on a les paul custom I'd rather opt for silver/nickel but that's the only guitar that sort of gets away with it.

On a Fender it's just not done for me. Had a Kotzen tele once and if I would have kept her, would have definitely replaced the hardware.

RomanS likes this.

15. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    Costs more (when sourcing parts) and the plating wears quickly. I tend to opt for chrome for durabilty

16. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2012
    Sou Cal
    What’s your opinion of that guitar, if you don’t mind me asking?

17. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2012
    Sou Cal
    I think gold certainly has its place.
    Can’t imagine a White Falcon without it.
    I think dark sunburst Archtops look cheap with anything but gold.
    And as what’s already been said, cheap plating is just that, but thicker plating can last a really long time.

18. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Tele-Afflicted

Nov 13, 2011
    UK
    Forgot I had this, one of only two guitars I have ever bought new back in March 2001. The plating looks much better than the photo after a wipe down, no noticeable wear to date.

upload_2018-6-14_7-7-16.jpeg

19. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2014
    Madrid, Spain, EU
    I think gold plated guitar look pimp or kinky in a bad way.

Nevertheless I have a gold hardware guitar, an Ibanez Pat Metheny, the bridge, pickup and the tail piece are really worn out and faded out so it doesn't bother me any more but the Grover tuners are not any worn and they are shiny and goldish new and I don't like it at all.

When I look at the pickup is quite silver colour and worn out and when I look at the headstock it looks gold and new. Something like it doesn't belong to the guitar

I am thinking on buying a can of "Aladdin Algodón mágico" with would translate as "Magic cotton". A friend of mine accidentally discovered that this metal cleaner EATS the gold plate and leaves bridges and pickups shiny but just silver plated or whatever metal there's underneath the gold. I don't know if you can get this product there in the USA or anywhere else but Spain. My grandma used this to clean the silver and metal things

[​IMG]

Then I realise that I really don't care so much about the gold look so I let it be

20. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    I am genuinely surprised by the level and all the outpouring of ‘hate’.

I’ve never given it a much thought at all. I had to look to see which of mine had gold plated parts. I love my vintage 345. Looks presentable, balanced and nice, some very natural looking wear but then its decades old.

IMG_3370.JPG

That said, I can get that the boring, slab like bridge and control plate features on a tele are too utilitarian or obvious to make the best of gold, but with the right wood or colour or shape/detailing it could work for a nice overall aesthetic without being blingy.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.