Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Why the hate for gold plate?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Donny Osmond fan, Jun 13, 2018.

1. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Different eras, different strokes. Gold plating on many surfaces was once desirable and envied...much like a brand new, shiny and flawless guitar finish once was...

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

A reliced guitar that "originally" had gold plating but today has none -- you pay extra for that, lad.

3. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Tele-Afflicted

Jul 9, 2007
    "Raleigh-wood"
    I had an Ibanez Artist 2617 model in natural ash with lots of abalone, many years ago. Gold hardware looked killer on that, but on most guitars it doesn't work for me. Different strokes... Oh and the plating was wearing on the bridge and tailpiece pretty significantly which was a bummer.

4. Utah Joe

Utah Joe TDPRI Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Salt Lake City, UT
    This is the only guitar I own with gold plated hardware. Moderation in all things.

IMG_0407.JPG

5. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    I like gold hardware on certain guitars. I like it better than black hardware, which I don't like on any guitars.

LPTyler and bender66 like this.
  6. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Gold looks good on a Gretsch White Falcon and exactly nothing else. Looks tacky as others have said.

RomanS likes this.
  7. Scooter91

Scooter91 Tele-Holic

Aug 24, 2009
    Southwest MN
    In a former life I worked in a plating shop. The boss let me nickel flash and hardened gold plate a length of copper tube to use for slide guitar. 30 years on it looks the same as it ever did. Getting guitar hardware plated well enough to resist wear would be prohibitively expensive. I can't believe PRS hasn't thought to do so.

8. Recce

Recce Tele-Afflicted

May 3, 2016
    Northern Alabama
    2blue2 likes this.
  9. NashvilleDeluxe

NashvilleDeluxe Tele-Holic

May 10, 2007
    West Island, Quebec
    IMG_0586.JPG

I have a love/hate relationship with the gold look. I tried chrome/nickel butterbeans on my Martin, but the "45 Style" logo looks out of place with it. The gold "fits."

I love a nice Goldtop Les Paul, but I had a visceral gag at the gold top hat knobs with chrome inserts that came with it (see above). I switched them to regular gold top-hat knobs within a week. It seems so petty, but I like it much better now.

10. ScribbleSomething

ScribbleSomething Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

Mar 12, 2016
    San Antonio
    I’ve grown to appreciate anodized gold in certain applications also. For me it is perceived a lot less blingy than shiny gold plated.

But like gold sparkle sometimes too. It’s blingy, but way less serious about it.

LPTyler likes this.
  11. Blue

Blue Tele-Holic

Jun 15, 2008
    England
    Disdain.

12. ponce

ponce Tele-Holic

Dec 21, 2011
    Croatia
    Mahogany body with the gold hardware - ideal gypsy guitar, is too much even for flamenco in my opinion.

13. knockeduptele

knockeduptele Tele-Meister

Dec 15, 2017
    London
    Go Brass - bit more class than bling (not to mention sustain)

IMG_0889.JPG

Metalwork courtesy of Michael over at Armadillo

2blue2 and BigDaddyLH like this.
  14. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2014
    Houston, TX
    A lefty strung righty...please tell me you're a lefty who learned the Albert King/Eric Gales way of playing.

15. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Tele-Afflicted

Apr 26, 2015
    North Carolina
    On a tele it looks best on a white or black tele, but for me it really needs to have vintage hadware and whatnot.

Gibsons are an entirely differently story and there's plenty of models that look fine with gold "guilding"

LPTyler likes this.
  16. knockeduptele

knockeduptele Tele-Meister

Dec 15, 2017
    London
    Exactly that - full C major as a barre chord and many other unreachables (in both directions)

Nubs likes this.
  17. bodevelho

bodevelho Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

May 19, 2018
    EUA
    I've always thought nothing is more tacky than chrome, but gold is not much better. Brass was big for awhile, but I agree there is a lot of disproportional hate for gold.

I like some of the unconventional plating options, black chrome or ruthenium.

Its all fashion, some day gold hardware might command a premium from collectors because its so uncommon.

18. OneHenry

OneHenry Tele-Holic

Apr 16, 2018
    North carolina
    I don’t normally like gold bling, but the little bit of distressed gold against the gold paisley looks pretty cool.

19. spellcaster

spellcaster Tele-Meister

Sep 8, 2009
    Duncan, B.C.
    I built my first partscaster ten years ago. It's my go-to guitar that gets lots of playtime, and the gold hardware still looks new. You might not like the look of gold, but the idea that it wears fast and looks tired just doesn't make any sense to me.

[​IMG]

LPTyler likes this.
  20. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    I don't hate gold hardware on Les Paul Customs or some other blingy-type guitars. I do hate the matte gold that some manufacturers use. I just think it looks bad.

I dislike that most gold hardware wears poorly.

But, for me, I play working-man's guitars that gold just doesn't look right on. Therefore, I tend to stick with chrome, because it just works on the guitars that I play.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.