Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Why the hate for gold plate?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Donny Osmond fan, Jun 13, 2018.

1. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    I have never been fond of Goldplate, but I do have an evisionment of say a candy apple Red strat or paul with all black hardware and only the screws are gold , all of them ,that would look sharp and whe wear factor would not be an issue

2. ScribbleSomething

ScribbleSomething Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Mar 12, 2016
    San Antonio
    My preference leans toward matte nickel.

Gold can feel pretentious. But sometimes it’s the only thing available.

For the used market, hollow and semi-hollow bodies with gold are still in the running. Teles and strats with gold are usually excluded.

If you get GAS for a Burton tele or a Lucille, what else can you do?

Black hardware is generally a deal killer for me. Though the Heafy Les Paul looks real nice.

BE747BF8-6CD2-4DB5-AE86-695410B5E33F.jpeg

2blue2 and 24 track like this.

3. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Meister

May 6, 2018
    Uknown.
    I now know who he is. and I must have forgotten about him. I thought he was a guitar artist.

4. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Nov 14, 2003
    Kittery, Maine
    I have one guitar with gold plate - a '67 Gretsch 6120. It's mostly gone and looks like worn nickel now. I like it.

5. rigatele

rigatele Tele-Holic

Apr 20, 2014
    Ontario
    Well, he had the name for it! ;)

6. Steve NB

Steve NB Tele-Meister

Mar 26, 2015
    New Brunswick Canada
    I love me some gold anodized aluminum:

30707929_10156395560870452_2178036366011531264_o.jpg

7. JL_LI

JL_LI Tele-Afflicted

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    There's a very little bit of gold on my Simon and Patrick Showcase solid rosewood acoustic. It hasn't worn and it's confined to the tuners so there's very little of it. IMO it looks classy. I guess a little guitar polish goes a long way. The gold hasn't oxidized. Maybe it's real gold plating and not imitation brass. I can only say I like it on this one. I'm incomplete agreement with others who've posted their dislike of blingy gold plate looking cheap and thin poor quality plating wearing. I just don't see those problems on my S&P.

8. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    To my eyes, the gold hardware looks like gold plastic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2blue2 and RomanS like this.

9. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 21, 2006
    Vienna, Austria
    The designer of the original PAF pickup (as well as of a bunch of other pickups, like the Fender Wide Range) - and along with Leo Fender, PA Bigsby, Ted McCarthy, Les Paul, Bill Lawrence, Roger Rossmeisl and Ray Butts one of the important innovators and designers in the history of the electric guitar...

10. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Meister

May 6, 2018
    Uknown.
    I forgot so I looked it up.

11. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Gold hardware is fine for guitars you never intend to play.

12. maggieo

maggieo Tele-Holic

Apr 7, 2004
    Three words that refute the hate of gold:

Mary Kaye Stratocaster.

highwaycat likes this.

13. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Tele-Afflicted

I mostly go for chrome or nickel, but I've got it on an old MIK Epi Les Paul and a CIJ Ibanez Artist.

On both of them it's pretty worn, and I think it looks pretty badass that way.

[​IMG]

2blue2 likes this.

14. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Meister

May 20, 2018
    Arcata
    I don't like it because I'd hate for someone to think about me the way I think about people who wear fake gold watches or are otherwise attempting to look flashy. It's like the kids I knew growing up that sucked at basketball but thought wearing authentic Jordans would make them better or at least appear better.

RomanS, studio1087 and nojazzhere like this.

15. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I will never own another guitar with gold-plated hardware. I absolutely LOVE the way it looks - it STUNNING and I had a Les Paul Custom once that had gold plate. It was beautiful. BUT but it's depressing to watch it fade away, and it will fade away. I guess it would be similar to slowly losing the ability to have an erekshun. Not that I would know, of course.

Somebody needs to come up with a solid faux gold metal that can be used instead, something that is "gold" all the way through and won't wear off.

16. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Gold plate hardware may be cool for some “classy” guitars … a black 335, a Guild artist award….

I may accept it on a Mary Kaye strat (even though I prefer blonde + maple + good ole chrome). I can’t abide it on a tele. A tele is supposed to be spartan, blue collar, essential, down-to-earth, greasy, simple, straightforward… and ALL OF THAT is incompatible IMO with gold hardware and flamey wood.

But I respect your tastes man! If that’s what floats your boat, who am I to disagree?

17. buster poser

buster poser Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

May 1, 2018
    Maryland
    Whenever anyone says they don't like something, it's "hate" anymore, lol.

If you like gold hardware, awesome, but I don't, and I also don't think that the many people who agree with me make me "right," nor am I going along with the crowd. I "hate" gold hardware on guitars about as much as I hate orange on cars. Works here and there ('69 Charger, Lotus Elise), but generally, I prefer something else if I think about it at all.

Georox likes this.

18. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

It's the standard for fancy Gibson jazz boxes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2blue2, Georox, knockeduptele and 2 others like this.

19. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    You asked so please don't be offended. It's just taste and it's just my opinion therefore this means nothing...….I think it's horribly gaudy. I think it looks like cheap costume jewelry on a a little old lady. Too flashy. I like nickel or chrome.

Again......it's just my opinion. My opinion is only worth something to me. I realize that. I also dislike salads with too many onions. I gotta be me. :cool:

RomanS likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.