Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Why the hate for gold plate?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Donny Osmond fan, Jun 13, 2018.

1. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Tele-Afflicted

Nov 13, 2011
    UK
    I don't hate it, but I know that sooner or later it will be a disappointment to me. I have never bought a new guitar with gold plated fittings, both of these were bought around twelve years ago, by that time the gold was already showing signs of wear. They each cost me less than £500 at the time, for which I got a pair of really good guitars.

upload_2018-6-13_11-33-22.jpeg upload_2018-6-13_11-34-13.jpeg

Vespa_One likes this.

2. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Absolutely no hate or dislike for it from here. It's a perfectly acceptable finish, as far as I'm concerned and, as the OP mentioned, when it wears through, it just looks aged. Same principle as relic-ing, for me, but others may have a different and just as valid view....

3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    you never really do see relic-ed gold hardware, do you?
    wonder why that is....

4. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    The only gold plate I like was on a buddies 50something byrdland..actually looks good

knockeduptele and hemingway like this.

5. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Afflicted

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Like others here - it looks cool on LP customs and a couple of other Gibson models, but overall it looks tacky, cheap, and lame and it wears badly.

6. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted

Jun 7, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Eh. I think people dripping with gold jewelry look kind of tacky, but I like it on guitars if there's a bit of wear on it. If I bought a guitar with gold-plated hardware in May, played a summer's worth of outdoor shows, and sweated all over it, it would look about right by September.

7. rigatele

rigatele Tele-Afflicted

Apr 20, 2014
    Canada
    Gibson pickup designers didn't like gold plating on pickups because it dulls the tone due to eddy currents. They pleaded for gold paint, but it didn't pan out (no pun intended).

8. teledude66

teledude66 Friend of Leo's

Oct 8, 2004
    Lawndale,N.C.
    I have the first year Les Paul Studio Custom, it's gold plated, I like the way it wears. For Teles I like chrome or a matte finish. LP looks more "night on the town," Tele looks more "honky tonk, gritty, blue collar."

radiocaster likes this.

9. mitchfinck

mitchfinck Tele-Holic

Dec 7, 2015
    Stratford, Ontario
    I'm not a huge fan of gold to begin with - though I think a gold watch or chain is fine depending on what it's worn with. As for gold hardware on guitars, I like it with black or a dark green - anything else I think it's pretty gaudy with, but those ones work for me, probably because the colours themselves are pretty muted and the gold is the flashiness instead of the finish. I don't really know.

10. Tezuka27

Tezuka27 Tele-Holic

Apr 11, 2011
    Eastern Iowa
    Bottom line, gold hardware is fugly. It doesn't look good on guitars. If you like it, however, knock yourself out.

jb

11. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Meister

May 6, 2018
    Uknown.
    I do not believe it affects tone. :rolleyes:

12. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Holic

Jun 17, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    I never cared for it until I saw my latest guitar. Gold hardware, pearl tuners and tobacco sunburst. It’s beautiful. And I’m looking forward to when it ages a little. It fits this guitar - it’s not my new preference across the board.

13. rigatele

rigatele Tele-Afflicted

Apr 20, 2014
    Canada
    Loan me a gold and a nickel or chrome pickup of the same type and I'll run the tests. Or you can believe Seth Lover.

Gold has almost 4x the conductivity as Nickel, and about 10x the conductivity as Chromium.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018

14. Donny Osmond fan

May 6, 2018
    Uknown.
    Who is Seth Lover?

bender66, boredguy6060 and nojazzhere like this.

15. rigatele

rigatele Tele-Afflicted

Apr 20, 2014
    Canada
    I rest my case. :)

boredguy6060 and 3fngrs like this.

16. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 21, 2006
    Vienna, Austria
    I hope you're kidding? :eek:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018

17. Donny Osmond fan

May 6, 2018
    Uknown.
    No really who is he?

18. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 11, 2011
    North of Boston
    On the right guitar it's beautiful. I have a 2012 White Falcon and so far the plating still is as new.

White Falcon (2).jpg

VintageGearMan and 2blue2 like this.

19. rigatele

rigatele Tele-Afflicted

Apr 20, 2014
    Canada
    There is this thing called Google...

20. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted

Dec 3, 2012
    Austin, Texas
    Gold plate wears off, and ends up looking cheap. I also don't like the look.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.