Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Why so few threads about Squiers?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by teletubby63, Mar 2, 2013.

1. plymman

plymman Tele-Meister

Dec 6, 2011
    plymouth uk
    @ Rod Parsons:

I've not played a standard but considering the pickups in the CV either are Toneriders or at the very least are made by the same company in the same factory with the same product numbers (including the fact they sound the same and measured output is the same!). I would say the CV is well worth the extra over the standard. Seperately the Toneriders sell for £80 and people rave about them.

In fact I've just put a set in my MIM strat. They are outstanding pickups. Add in the better build and qc of the CV (heck, the CV's are better than my MIM's!) and I would say the minimal extra outlay us well worth paying for.

2. Gnobuddy

Gnobuddy Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2010
    British Columbia
    I've never tried a Squier Standard Tele, so I guess that puts us on opposite sides of the fence!

I like the 'Strats clean tones a lot. Bright, chimey, very distinctly says "Strat!" to anyone with functioning ears.

The only minus is that these pickups are low output, and some amps with limited gain don't overdrive very well. Also on some settings the tone can be a bit too thin and bright for heavily driven tones.

For me the easy fix for both issues is to use a $30 Danelectro Fish-n-Chips EQ pedal between the guitar and the guitar amp. It works as a clean boost if you leave all the EQ sliders in their neutral position, or you can shape the brightness a little if you like.

My Zoom G3 multiFX pedal has no trouble generating distorted lead tones straight from the Standard Strat, though - it has more than enough gain for the job.

-Gnobuddy

3. Muddslide

Muddslide Tele-Afflicted

Jun 28, 2008
    Gypsy Caravan
    I agree there are aspects of the CVs that are higher quality than the Squier Standards (and the MIMs as well, IMO, particularly the pickups) but the main reason I went for the Squier Standard over the CV is the neck. I really like the neck on the Standards (even though it's rosewood) and I really dislike the necks n the CVs. Personal taste--just too thin for me.

I kinda figured I'd be stuck between needing a neck swap immeditely to be happy (if I had gone with a CV) and possibly needing or wanting a pickup swap at some point in the future (if I got a Standard.)

4. Muddslide

Muddslide Tele-Afflicted

Jun 28, 2008
    Gypsy Caravan
    I just scored a Zoom G3 a few days back. Haven't had a chance to mess with it yet. Looking forward to it.

5. Gnobuddy

Gnobuddy Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2010
    British Columbia
    Thanks, Obsessed! As the character of Monk (from the TV show with the same name) frequently said, "It's a blessing and a curse"!

Back to your point about marketing schemes and Fender MBA's, in other words the MBA's job is to convince everybody that whatever they already have is junk, and there is something out there that (if only they pony up the cash) will finally make them happy and fulfilled forever.

I once heard a line in a film where one of the characters (who works in advertising, and was going through a crisis of conscience) says something like "My job is to make people unhappy".

I think the writer who came up with that line nailed it - the purpose of advertising is to make you unhappy with what you already have, so that you'll want something you don't have. Of course this is a never-ending vicious cycle, because once you get that shiny new something, you're immediately told there is something even better out there, and the shiny new toy you just bought really isn't all that wonderful.

As it turns out, Alfred Sloan, the guy who invented the concept of new car models every year for General Motors, said something very similar to that character in the film. I forget Sloan's exact words, but they went something like this: "My goal is to make you dissatisfied with the car you already have, so that you will be motivated to go out and buy one of our new models." Sloan didn't mention the other half of that equation: under the shiny new sheetmetal, there was nothing new about the "new" model. It was actually the same old chassis and drivetrain, last years car in a new suit.

Not coincidentally, sociologists tell us that increasing numbers of people are getting depressed - depression rates have been rising world-wide for many decades now. The amount of advertising we're all exposed to has steadily risen during the same time frame. Being constantly told that whatever you already have is worthless and inadequate, it turns out, has a high cost when it comes to the quality of life.

Being a contented Squier owner shows you have at least a tiny little scrap of self-defense against this barrage. You didn't entirely buy into the B.S. of the perpetual "upgrade" that actually leaves you exactly where you were, only poorer.

Interestingly, at the time when Sloan at General Motors came up with his plan to lure people into a perpetual "upgrade" cycle, Ford was taking the opposite approach: he had been gradually improving and perfecting the exact same car (model T) for twenty years, so that every year the car was a little better and a little less expensive.

Unfortunately, GM won the sales and profit battle - nobody went back for a second Model T, while millions were lured in by each successive years shiny new GM models.

You can see Sloan's strategy at work everywhere these days. Every time I get a new Guitar Center or Sweetwater catalogue it's full of "new" Fender Strats and Teles - all of which are exactly like the "old" Fender Strats and Teles if you look past the trivial cosmetic differences!

-Gnobuddy

6. Gnobuddy

Gnobuddy Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2010
    British Columbia
    Like Squier Standards, I think the Zoom G3 is very overlooked. I don't like the amp models in it, but all the effects pedal sims I've tried are great - and there are tons and tons of them. And the G3's looper and drum machine are the icing on the cake - wonderful for practicing soloing over chords.

You probably already know this, but Zoom released a firmware update for the G3 that literally doubled its capabilities - the original version could only have three effects in a chain, after the firmware update you can have six. Pretty useful if you're chasing the tone of someone who used a lot of pedals.

Newer G3s come with the new 2.0 firmware, of course, but if you got an older one, you can update the firmware yourself. Just Google for it and you'll find everything you need.

My G3 is still running the old version 1.x firmware, because I don't own a Windows computer (we're a Linux and Mac household). I'm going to have to sit down and install Windows on an old clunker PC just so I can run the darn Zoom update software!

-Gnobuddy

7. Gnobuddy

Gnobuddy Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2010
    British Columbia
    That was the biggest difference for me as well. I have big hands and fingers, and 1 5/8" nut width necks are virtually unplayable for me.

The Standards have 1 11/16" nut width, and that tiny extra one-sixteenth of an inch really makes a difference.

My Agile guitars have an additional one-sixteenth of an inch more width than the Squire Standard, at 1 3/4", and they are much more enjoyable to play for that reason.

I have been tempted to try one of the "Big Lou Wide Neck" guitars, which come in Strat-shaped or Tele-shaped (or Les Paul shaped) models, and have another one-eighths of an inch more width than my Agile guitars - the Big Lou's have a nut width of 1 7/8". Trouble is I can only get one by mail order, and I can't find much information as to what other owners think of the quality, so I've been reluctant to shell out $300 for a guitar of unknown quality. I may have to take a leap of faith, though, I really would like a wider necked electric guitar.

-Gnobuddy

8. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

Sep 26, 2009
    Winchester, Va.
    Thanks for those answers. That helped me a lot.... How are the tremolos on the CV 50s and 60s Strats? Do they stay in tune pretty well?... I kinda' like the idea of playing a Squier Strat on stage.... If I were to swap the neck with a thicker one, if it were too thin, I guess I could give the neck to a friend, who prefers thinner necks. :)

9. Lobotomy Boy

Lobotomy Boy TDPRI Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Maple Grove, MN
    It seems that many people in the business community might disagree, judging from the embarrassing debacle surrounding the attempted Fender IPO last summer.

10. Gnobuddy

Gnobuddy Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2010
    British Columbia
    I know nothing about advertising or IPO's (I still have a functioning conscience, so that immediately rules me out of those professions). But FWIW that Forbes article actually concludes by saying Fender was probably wise to cancel the IPO. Dunno whether to take that seriously or not.

I think Fender is feeling the pain from the Vulture Capital firm that has its hooks so deeply into Guitar Center these days. Perhaps that attempted IPO was simply reflexive wriggling of the poor worm spitted on the hook?

-Gnobuddy

11. RichieRyan

RichieRyan TDPRI Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Seminole,OK
    Well put,BB. You have been a heck of a resource on the '51 forum, where I first got into modding.
    My first Tele was a Squier Standard with Rolling Rock beer graphic on top. Tone, however, just wasn't there. So, I traded bodies with a guy who collects the beer models for his Custom II P90 body, then switched necks with one of my '51s. That one you'll pry from my cold, dead hands....

12. furtherpale

furtherpale Former Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Melbourne - 32
    If we didn't discuss things that had already been discussed... There would be a dramatic drop in activity

13. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2012
    Rocky Mount, NC
    I currently own two Squier VM Teles and a 1982 MIJ Squier SQ Precision bass. They are well-made quality instruments and compare favorably to my Fenders or other guitars. It took me two years to find a Fender Standard Tele that had a neck that felt right to me. My VMs were OK from the get go.

In the years since I made my living as a musician I've come to understand that an instrument doesn't have to be made in USA by the "big two" instrument companies.

And that means I can own a lot more guitars and basses:lol:

14. Bajatele1

Bajatele1 TDPRI Member

Jun 30, 2011
    Canonsburg Pa.
    That was very well put.

15. Peas

Peas Tele-Meister

Feb 25, 2013
    Jam Town
    I'm a headstock snob... there I admitted it. :)

16. Gnobuddy

Gnobuddy Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2010
    British Columbia
    I am too. I loathe the shape of the Fender/Squier Telecaster headstock - so much so that I can't bear to pick up a Tele, simply because I'd have to look at that fuggly headstock!

-Gnobuddy

17. Gnobuddy

Gnobuddy Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2010
    British Columbia
    Apparently there are a whole bunch of people, some quite famous, who also cannot spell their own last name to your satisfaction.

Like this guy: http://www.amazon.com/Billy-Squier/e/B000AQ2IHM

Or this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Squier

Or this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._G._Squier

Or this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Owen_Squier

Or this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerome_Bonaparte_Squier

I'm no linguist, but there are plenty of Middle English words that had the letters "e" and "r" switched around from the way they are used in the same words today, so I suspected that's what was going on here. Sure enough, the Free Dictionary ( http://www.thefreedictionary.com/squire ) has the following to say about the word that is spelled "squire" today:
    So, as long as we're coming up with improbable reasons to like or dislike guitar brands, do you really prefer a brand whose name means "A guard ... shaped and positioned to block the splashing of water or mud" to a brand whose name means "A gallant"? :D

-Gnobuddy

18. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

Welcome to TDPRI Bajatele !

19. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO

As for the Joyo pedals most are simply reverse engineered versions of boutique USA made ones but by using less expensive parts and labor they can shave their prices to a fraction of what the model it clones sells for. So a $160 pedal can be bought for $40. Does it sound about the same as the original? Pretty much. Will it hold up as well? I don't know but I can replace one if it goes TU and still have saved some money. So I do use some Joyo pedals but I also have higher priced ones in the mix as well when they do a better job for the buck spent.

As for my CS Nocaster vs my MIM "Nashcaster" I can tell the difference but that's to be expected. Could someone else if the were blindfolded and handed each one separately? I think they'd feel the difference but I'm not altogether certain which they'd prefer. I think a lot of players seem to prefer the modern specs and neck profiles over the vintage so that may be one reason in a blind test they prefer the production guitar and they can't see the differences in the quality of the finish. Fender must realize this too since they've changed over the specs on the CS Nocasters.

But if they were plugged in and anyone just listened to them? No, you can't tell them apart which would tend to disprove that quality of the body wood, the neck, or the electronics really have much effect on tonality. They have a slightly different finish and the CS Nocaster is a bit lighter but other than that they resemble one another very well.

Now this got a bit off topic so I'll close by bringing it around.

I saw a video just recently of a couple of guys from a British music store who also struggled to correctly identify a new CS Nocaster from a CV '50s blindfolded just by touch and their acoustic properties. So that would seem to indicate the if you weren't too worried about much more than tone and playability you could buy a $350 CV '50s, install a $150 set of CS Nocaster pickups, save $3500 or so, and get very close to what that CS Nocaster can offer you as a player.

Are they the same quality guitar? No, they're not, but you can own a lot more of them with all kinds of personal modifications in as many models as they offer for the cost difference. I'm glad to have both but I wouldn't spend $4000 on the CS guitar these days although I do understand why some do. They truly are incredible guitars down to the last detail.

20. sadams122

sadams122 TDPRI Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Hawaii
    You're joking right...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.