Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Why so few threads about Squiers?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by teletubby63, Mar 2, 2013.

1. teletubby63

teletubby63 TDPRI Member

Feb 28, 2013
    Georgia
    Where's the love???:confused:

2. TheFullMonty

TheFullMonty Tele-Holic

Dec 27, 2012
    Arizona
    There's probably more CVC and BSB Squier threads on tdpri than any other guitar.

3. TDPRI

TDPRI Administrator Staff Member

Mar 2, 2003
    TDPRILAND
    Admin Post
    Probably because this forum is only 24-hours old.

4. Kitty

Kitty Tele-Meister

Oct 11, 2012
    Space
    Too busy playing them :cool:

5. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    It's gonna be tough to find things to say and topics that haven't already been covered elsewhere but I applaud the staff for creating this forum. This way the "headstock snobs" will probably keep out since they wouldn't be caught dead with anything that says Squier on theirs.

6. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 29, 2008
    Eugowra, Australia
    Don't forget the JV's ;)

7. ashplank

ashplank TDPRI Member

Oct 11, 2012
    charlotte , mi.
    I have been stalking the local pawns for a good squire tele to do a Frankenstein experiment myself lately . With a tweek here and there ,new pups and tuners who knows ?
    I will post here if I ever procrastinate this project through .

8. Muddslide

Muddslide Tele-Afflicted

Jun 28, 2008
    Gypsy Caravan
    Headstock snobbery exists, and so does reverse snobbery (though I'm not accusing you--just saying it works both ways sometimes.)

There are a couple of things I think we should remember when discussing Squiers.

First, the original MIJ Squiers from the early 80s were in large part superior to the stuff Fender USA was churning out at the same time.

Second, while I obviously love Fenders and have been fortunate to own several, the whole "It's not a REAL Fender" thing is kind of a canard.

There is a perfectly valid argument to be made (and it HAS been made) that the only "real" Fenders were made in Fullerton with Leo at the helm before the CBS buyout in 1965.

I don't necessrily agree with that argument, but it's not without merit.

I have a buddy on another board who is fond of saying "All guitars cost $300. After that you are paying for the name on the headstock."

Again, don't necessarily agree 100% with that, but it ain't completely wrong either.

One thing I DO completely agree with:

"Play what you like; like what you play."

I never thought less of a person or a player who had Squier or Epiphone or some other "lesser" brand on their guitars. Guitars are tools. Some are better made than others, some can be upgraded to be as good as you can get, some are poorly crafted and unplayable.

I rock my Squiers proudly. They serve me well. No shame. Anyone wants to denigrate me for not being a "real" musician because I don't have as much $$$ to invest in gear as them, well, that's fine. I'll just kick back and play with my "junk" and have a good ol' time.

9. gitold

gitold Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2009
    Greeley Co.
    Squiers can cause cancer...Google it. I'm not kidding.

10. skraprm

skraprm Tele-Meister

Mar 10, 2011
    Inland Empire
    Squier owners tend to post in American Vintage-related threads. Not start their own.

They're probably trying to save a dollar on server costs.

11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Wait for some new Squire models to be launched.

12. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Well on that point I'll agree with you. I guess where I'm coming from is that having owned and currently owning quite a few of each, including a CS Nocaster, I try to be as unbiased as I can in my evaluations of all of them. Good guitars are good guitars period.

If someone says that a CV '50s is as good as a CS Nocaster model I'd have to disagree. It's not, but then again it's not supposed to be. I wouldn't even say that my CVC is quite a match for my "Nashcaster" which is a converted Nashville Deluxe. But for the dollars spent the Squier CV line including the basses are a great value and excellent playing guitars.

The other thing that makes me a fan is that they're very "tweakable" as far as modifying whatever trips your trigger in the way of upgrading their tone and playability and it really doesn't take much to do that if you go about it with some common sense an shop well. Another $100 or so can turn great into exceptional.

I guess what I was referring to is how ironic it is that some of those who shout them down loudest and most often don't even own one, never will and probably have very limited experience even playing one if they've ever played one at all. I don't take those opinions seriously but in some cases their biased responses seem unfair to those asking legit questions to evaluate one before they buy. Perhaps the opinions shared here will be more fair in that regard.

My viewpoint is a pretty simple one. The headstock is the only part I don't play so why do I care whose name is on it? All of the most important parts are from there on down. ;)

13. kidmo

kidmo Friend of Leo's

May 25, 2008
    Funkytown
    Shh, everyone will want one and drive the price up...

14. hiero

hiero Tele-Meister

Jun 9, 2007
    Surrey Hills, UK
    There's a Garden Centre near me called SQUIERS - as I have never shopped there I had no reason to comment in this thread...

15. Rydell

Rydell Tele-Meister

Apr 28, 2010
    Germany
    I love my Squiers and Epiphones as much as my Fenders and Gibsons. Imo the secret is in the setup. You can find more cheaper guitars with bad setup, but every guitar player should be able get his instrument (neck, frets,bridge,pickup-height) in good working shape. Last year I found a Epi 1275 doubleneck used. The previous owner said he used it once and then it was decoration. The guitar arrived with bow on the 12 string neck about an inch higher than the 6 string!! Quick fix, great guitar!!

16. Jack FFR1846

Jack FFR1846 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 18, 2011
    Hopkinton, MA
    It's just a matter of work, some parts and attention to turn any guitar (Squier included) into a great player. If you pay $3000 for a guitar, this attention and part choice has hopefully been done for you already. With a low end guitar, I would expect that I would have to level the frets, roll the knife edge fingerboard edge, change out some of the electrics (depending on model) and do a careful setup. Once that's done, you're going to have a seriously good player.

I think a lot of people take what they take down from the walls in Guitar Center and think that this is as good as Squier can get. Of course, those guys open the box and throw the thing up on the wall with no setup whatsoever. 10 minutes with some tools will make those things sooooo much better.

17. bendecaster

bendecaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 1, 2007
    maine
    I own a early 80's Squier Tele and it is a beaut! I own a '99 Squier Std Tele and it is also great. I also own a couple mid 90's Squier Strats, one of which is probably one of the best playing Strats I own.

I, personally, have much love for Squiers!

18. Lobotomy Boy

Lobotomy Boy TDPRI Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Maple Grove, MN
    The new forums are great--it's nice to discuss Squiers without wading through five pages of rants from people who don't like Squiers--but it does bring up a problem with guitar makers in general and Fender in particular: a bewildering array of products, price ranges, and quality. In some cases, Fender might be its own worst enemy in the guitar market. Hard to justify spending $800 on a Mexican Classic Player Baja Tele when ever single $380 Classic Vibe Squier has been a notably nicer guitar.

19. Gnobuddy

Gnobuddy Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2010
    British Columbia
    Well put, soulman!

The only "F-type" guitar I own is a Squier - a Standard Stratocaster in cherry sunburst finish. I bought it a couple of years ago when I started looking for a Strat-type guitar to supplement the humbucker-equipped guitars I had. After trying out several Mexican-made Fenders and then a couple of those oh-so-popular Classic Vibe Squier Strats, followed by a $100 Squier Bullet strat, I wasn't happy with any of them. The MIM Fenders I tried felt uninspiring and not worth the asking price, the skinny little neck on the CV Strats felt like a pencil in my hand - too narrow and skinny to be playable, with my big hands and fingers - and the Bullet was both uninspiring and too skinny for me.

Then I walked into a Best Buy that had a music store-within-a-store, saw a rather abused Cherry Sunburst Squier Standard Strat hanging on the wall, tried it out, and we were instantly friends. The extra sixteenth of an inch fretboard width (compared to the CV and Bullet) was just barely enough to make it playable, the thicker body felt solid against me and balanced the guitar well, the action and setup was comfortable and fast, and when I plugged it in I instantly heard tones that reminded me of Robert Cray and of Mark Knopfler in his early Dire Straits era, even with the rusty strings that were on it. Clean, low output, bright, and very "Stratty".

That store sample had been dinged and scratched by previous customers manhandling it, so I asked an employee if they had any more Squire Standard Stratocasters with the same Cherry Sunburst finish in stock. They had one single one, still in its cardboard box. I opened it, took a peek, and bought it without ever having played it.

When I got it home, took off the wrapping, tuned it and plugged in, I knew I'd made the right decision. Everything was spot-on - I've never had a guitar feel so "right" straight from the store. Even the intonation was already perfectly set. The only thing I would change if I could would be to add some more width and thickness to the neck - but that's a problem with every Fender Corp. electric guitar I've touched, they all feel like they were made for children or midgets or small-statured women with tiny hands!

FMIC called that Cherry Sunburst finished Squier Standard Strat a "limited edition", which probably means they made many thousands of them, but hoped they could fool us customers into buying more by making us think they were rare and precious. No matter, I happen to like the translucency and relative subtlety of this burst finish, which is why I chose it over the opaque solid colours that were also available.

I never took photos of mine, but here are a few pics of someone else's Squire Standard Strat in the same finish: http://www.strat-talk.com/forum/1093309-post16.html

Here is a better photo of the same finish, this time on an ash Fender Strat that costs a heck of a lot more than my Squire Standard Strat: http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/...ratocaster-Electric-Guitar-Aged-Cherry-Burst/

Finally, here are a couple of video clips made by a guy who was as surprised as I was by how much he liked this particular model (Squier Standard Strat). First, a little demo so you can hear what this guitar sounds like:

Second, a comparison with a much more expensive Fender-branded Strat:

-Gnobuddy

20. Gnobuddy

Gnobuddy Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2010
    British Columbia
    I have bought some inexpensive (not Squier) guitars that exactly fit your description. (Sharp fret ends are my pet hate. Ugh!)

However, the two Squier Standard Strats I tried had none of those problems. Nice fret job, no sharp ends, no high frets, no buzzes, truss rod perfectly adjusted, nice comfy and fast action, saddles already set for accurate intonation, and to my surprise even the nut slots were already cut to the perfect depth. The necks on both guitars felt really good, other than being too narrow and too thin (a problem I have with all Fender guitars).

One of these guitars had been hanging on the wall of a Best Buy, where countless teenagers had already had a go at it. There were dings in the finish and other signs of a hard life, but amazingly enough the guitar still felt beautifully set up, even with the rusty strings on it. The second guitar was still in its sealed factory shipping cardboard box when I bought it - so I know it hadn't been set-up by a store employee - and it felt exactly the same, a really good set-up straight out of the box. Minus the rusty strings, this time!

The interesting thing is that none of the much more expensive Fender-branded Strats I'd tried out in the weeks prior to buying the Squier felt as good as either of these budget-priced Squier Standard Strats. IIRC I paid $230 for mine, less than half the price of the cheapest Fender-branded Strat I'd tried, and about one fifth of the price of the most expensive one. I didn't try any Fenders that cost over $1250, because I had no intention of spending more than that on a guitar.

Two guitars is too small a sample to be statistically significant, perhaps, but it certainly gives the impression that these inexpensive Chinese-made guitars are much better set up from the factory than the considerably more expensive Mexican-made ones I tried.

Judging by the amount of buzz over the CV Squiers, I'm not the only one who came to this conclusion!

-Gnobuddy

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.