Why own music?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Lemonwurst

Lemonwurst TDPRI Member

There clearly isn't a one-size-fits-all answer to this. But overall I'm glad to have so many options. I'll probably always keep a modest collection of music on CD and vinyl, because I like looking at album artwork and liner notes, and the tactile experience of loading a music player. I also like having a monstrous yet searchable library of MP3 files in a space so small it defies physics, tucked away out of sight but immediately accessible by just about anything that has a screen and plays through a speaker. And I like streaming because it introduces me to new artists that I otherwise wouldn't know about, and can get me to a song I really need to reference right away, whether I'd ever want that song in my personal collection or not.

I find it interesting that, despite new technology, we as consumers can still choose from multiple traditional methods for acquiring and playing music. I sure wouldn't be so enthusiastic about streaming if it were the only option. But now we can go with whatever works for a specific need, and we sure couldn't do that 25 years ago.

Something I suspected and just confirmed ==> streaming services do pay royalties, from revenue generated by advertisements and premium service subscribers. It would be tricky to try to compare their royalty rates with those paid by traditional outlets like FM radio stations, given the differences in play counts. But if nothing else, the current popularity and convenience of streaming essentially finished off the Napster era, which really was without any artist compensation at all.

2. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

More easily accomplished with the plethora of music I already have on a flash drive, and with no data or monthly subscription cost.

3. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've found more music on YouTube that I have forgotten, and would not want to buy and sit on a shelf with the rest. I'm glad you brought this up, I have so many guitar lessons on VCR tapes that haven't seen the light of day in any years, and won't. But would love to give them to somebody just starting out, but who even owns a VCR??

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. TheMindful

TheMindful Tele-Meister

Streaming revenues pay artists fraction of a penny per stream if you weren't already aware

5. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Except that it doesn't, right? I mean, it makes sense that mp3 files take up next to no space at all.

It's only mindblowing to us oldsters :)

6. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

And unixfish reminded me of another point.
    I may or may not have live recordings and demos and such that were never officially release that I nonetheless really enjoy listening to. Can't do that with a streaming service.

7. blowtorch

youtube has more live recordings and demos and rarities and such than you can shake a stick at.
    If you were to look for a completist, his name would be "youtube".

Now granted there are exceptions to this, like when an artist or their estate actively works to keep material off youtube (Prince comes to mind)

nojazzhere and bgmacaw like this.
  8. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

It's awesome to me that at any given time, my car stereo is equipped with a more extensive music library (on a 256 gb flash drive) than most people I know even own. And that's just a partial selection of what all I have.
    Yes, I have issues...

9. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

Honestly, I have contemplated the possibility of offloading my vinyl as I convert it to digital. One cool thing about that process, by the way, is either rediscovery of things I haven't listened to in a long time, or discovery of some very cool things (for example, Leon McAuliffe and by extension, western swing such as Bob Wills & the Texas Playboys) as I've checked out and converted old vinyl that has come to me by way of my family's collection.
    Never would have thought to seek out any such thing in YouTube on my own.
    I'm glad YT and streaming services work for you, I still get plenty of benefit from "old" avenues and I'm not ready to go there.

10. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Men?

You ever see a woman with shoes, jewelry , handbags etc.?

The only difference between men and women collecting is what they collect.

nojazzhere likes this.
  11. Ribsspare

Ribsspare Tele-Meister

I’ve only been out on a date like once in my life so I’m still naive

12. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Primate Husband: I'm thinking of thinning the herd.
    Primate Wife: They're guitars, not wildebeests, Myron.

:D

straightface, nojazzhere and bgmacaw like this.
  13. blowtorch

Youtube brings up stuff as suggested "related" material (as does Amazon, Netflix, etc). Sometimes that's a huge fail. Sometimes that's a direct hit. I've discovered lots of really cool new (to me) stuff that way

14. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

It's relevant because for most of human history, with the exception of the last 100 years, the experience of music was overwhelmingly

public
    social
    performed

It was done mostly by local people in small gatherings, or by bands paid for local events, or on stages by touring professionals. And you could argue this is what it still is, except for the major label fantasy which won't die.

The problem is that most of rock/pop is extremely simple and takes no great skill to play. It's amplified folk music, which is great, but why should I pay a lot for what the local band band does probably really well?

When there was a distributional cartel, eg, the era of records and cds, amplified folk music could be made to seem really exceptional--witness how many folks here are convinced that all good music stopped when they graduated high school. Does anybody really want to argue that, say, the steve miller band had some unique quality of excellence? Three chords, four note melodies, and lyrics that don't rhyme?

I think music is reverting to what it always was--something people did for small scal social pleasure and something people paid to see live when it was distinctive.

15. GibbyTwin

GibbyTwin Tele-Meister

somewhere between Asbury Park and Atlantic City
    For some of us at a certain age it is how we always did it. Even now I will cough up for a CD or a DVD occasionally but now I will be very sure that it is for something I really want to have. Mostly, I have gone from full CDs to just purchasing the one or two songs I really like and want to have on my playlists. I have a portable CD player, a couple MP3 players, a computer, a smartphone, a turntable, so I can listen when/where/how I want. It's all about choice. I enjoy that freedom. :)

Chunkocaster likes this.
  16. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

your modern technology...it frightens me...files? your music is in files, you say?

unfrozenCaveLawyer_1040.jpg

actually most of what I listen to (other than live) is on either CD or in some mp3 (or other format) files or on Youtubular; I have friends who still release "albums" - sometimes a physical CD, sometimes just a download code, sometimes vinyl - or any combination and sometimes I pony up and pay the kickstarter stuff, or not, depending on a number of variables. It's complex, in a way.

I think we should be glad for the lack of plastic; regardless whether you might be buying recycled plastic or "virgin" vinyl. I'm beginning to suspect that we will choke ourselves to death on nano-particles of plastic, non-biodegradable, but ever-diminishing in size. Occluded by plastic, soon appearing on death certificates near you.

but I think as an artist, a person should be concerned about fellow artists being compensated. Yes, I believe that artists should be compensated and I'm glad we still have musicians who can make a living of some kind playing music. There are definitely some very fine examples of live albums, but generally, recorded music is a different experience from live, I don't care how high fidelity a system you may have. If I had my druthers, I'd prefer seeing live music to just listening to mp3's - just my opinion. No one has to agree or disagree.

I don't have any vinyl/LP's any more, other than a few that i got 2nd hand just for the cover. for example, I love the cover of Little Feat "Feats Don't Fail Me Know". that whole experience is pretty much gone, although I see some published story claiming that vinyl sales accounted for some 40 million units +/- in 2017. Here come the plastic, again.

at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter what I think, and probably doesn't matter what you think, either. sorry.

17. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

I don’t subscribe to any of the streaming sites. I’m a dinosaur.

I want it to be there when I want it. If I don’t own it, it could go away, never to return. I like the tactile nature of putting on an lp, just like when I first started getting excited by music when I was a kid back in the Paleozoic. I like reading liner notes. Ones that I can actually read.

Did I mention that I’m a - somewhat cranky- dinosaur?

Cheers,
    Geoff

GibbyTwin likes this.
  18. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

I like physical copies. I like liner notes too. So you I still have vinyl and still buy CDs. Those go into my computer and from there into my phone mostly

drlucky likes this.
  19. blowtorch

those things are stipulated :)

teletimetx likes this.
  20. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

Some I've listened to recently on my commute, converted to MP3 and loaded onto a USB stick.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.