Why own music?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, Mar 26, 2019.

1. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

So, ignore the road and futz with YouTube when I am driving?

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know that is not what you meant. I know you can set up playlists of genres or whatever.

It just comes down to the cost of data - at least for me.

My iPod is controlled via my radio. I don't need to take my eyes off the road - I even have steering wheel buttons. Maybe I'm just too old, but I don't like using my phone to stream to my car over bluetooth. It takes too much attention from driving.

I set my iPod up to random shuffle every song on it, since I picked what CDs to put on it.

I used to have Sirius XM, but I don't drive as much and the XM receiver in my car died. I sometime have something on my phone that is not on my iPod, and I can only control that when I am stopped; it takes too much attention when the car is moving. Same with streaming services; my car controls do not work to forward / skip / etc, so I have to unlock and do it on the phone.

Safety. I own music because it is much safer, and so I don't endanger myself or others on the road. Now, if other drivers would do that as well...

2. t guitar floyd

t guitar floyd Tele-Holic

Ouch! I see your point, though I don't know anything about spotify. Sounds like the old days when the record companies and managers just used to blatantly steal the artist's money and royalties.

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  3. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I have over 2,000 CDs. CDs still sound great IMHO. Through a big system or sound dock you get great sound. I have a 300 disc Sony player from the '90s. But I have to say when I first got ITunes I downloaded all my CDs into it. I download random stuff into my phone, I have an I Pod touch with 4,000 songs in it. Connected to my car radio or my Bose headphones I have a literal ton of music at my disposal. I'll use Spotify or Pandora to find new stuff. I guess I'm using a blend of technology. One thing is certain-I'm listening more than ever and finding more new music than ever as well. Great time to be into music.

4. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Holic

There are three issues to me:
    1. Moral - Music is offered by musicians for sale, one way or another. I work in the biz. I prefer to pay musicians an honest wage for their efforts. Does that seem so archaic? Just the way I am.
    2. Media Permanence - So far I only pay when I get a CD or download from iTunes. Of the two I prefer CD because it is a unremittable medium: No company can decided to pull it off your hard drive or refuse to stream it. Once paid for, it can be depended upon for as long as the medium survives. And besides, the quality is higher than that of iTunes.
    3. Professional - i work with copyright material all day long and advise my company on the legality of various means of access and utilization. I can't be caught with bootlegs for the sake of my integrity.

Bob

drlucky, _Dutch and RetroTeleRod like this.
  5. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I have no problems with artists making money, and I'm puzzled that you seem to think that I do

6. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

When you say iTunes, you almost have to say what you mean, because iTunes has several different meanings. The player? The store?

For me, it's entirely about control. If I own it, I control it. Not someone else. I decide if I listen to it. I cannot trust others to make the same decisions that I do about what to keep around. Nor can I trust them to do as good a job as I do, or better at making sure that stuff stays around.

Not about money, or artists, or anything else. Control.

GibbyTwin and blowtorch like this.
  7. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I still off load all music MP3 format to my IPOD 1 or 2.

Not even my phone.

8. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Afflicted

Not dark enough. Pretty sure the power will have gone off, you’ll be humming to yourself and your beer will be room temperature. ;)

Ben-Zion, Seasicksailor and unixfish like this.
  9. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Holic

So... how do they make money from you listening on youtube?

Charlie Bernstein likes this.
  10. t guitar floyd

t guitar floyd Tele-Holic

Maybe not the way you play it . . . but then there are other people who make the "Blooze" you always seem to sneer at, into an art form that you probably wouldn't comprehend.:twisted:

11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

12. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Because sometimes you end up with situations like the ZZ Top Six Pack, where Bill Ham re-mastered 6/7ths of the ZZ Top back catalogue to sound like their 80’s recordings, with the gated drums and over-reverbed and over-distorted guitars.

Those who didn’t have the original LPs were doomed to listen to an inferior mix for almost 30 years until they rectified it with individual album releases and two different box sets—“Chrome, Smoke and BBQ” (which, while a great set and very comprehensive, did not cover their entire early catalogue) and “The Complete Studio Albums 1970-1990” (the albums on CD, with original mastering and reproductions of the original album covers).

Also, I have a nephew who was talking about an album he loved, that (before he set up his Apple Music account properly) he had bought three times, because he lost it each time he broke a phone ( I love him, but he’s dense)...if he had a hard copy, he could just download it on his new phone or computer ot whatever.

Plus, I like the tactile feeling of an album or CD in my hands.

Lastly, it sounds better, even on my stock car stereo or simple turntable at home

13. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

While I have no problem with artists making money, I also have no problems using what is legal and at a low cost to me to access that art.
    You seem to be implying that I should have a problem with that..

14. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Holic

I guess my initial post was an exaggeration, and I should know better...

But there would be a lot less music out there, less visual art, etc.

People work 40+ hours per week just to get by, let alone buying music gear, finding time to create, record etc.

15. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

...and he was doing so well for a while. I thought he’d had a breakthrough.

drlucky, GibbyTwin and t guitar floyd like this.
  16. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Holic

Of course, I use youtube and spotify as well. I have no problem with whatever you do. You asked a question, why own music, and I'm telling you why I pay for music, and why other people should too. It's pretty common knowledge that streaming services don't pay well for artists, and the benefit is supposed to be bigger audiences. But bigger audiences who still don't buy your music isn't really a benefit at all.

Artists are able to make great art by investing time in it. I wonder how many albums Jimi would have got out if he also worked 40+ hours a week?

Charlie Bernstein and TheMindful like this.
  17. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I only buy select music anymore. Typically I buy an album to support DIY type artists that I like. Everything else is streamed.

18. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

Good point... I need to invest in a generator.

thegeezer likes this.
  19. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Maybe/Maybe not. How many people that try to make money with music, painting, photography are successful on the business end vs the number that want to be? Yet they do it anyway.

That's why bush league bar bands get $50 a guy. Because there are probably five or six other ham and egger bandz that are willing to take that or less for the same gig.

blowtorch likes this.
  20. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

That's why we all need an acoustic. ;-)

Chunkocaster and BigDaddyLH like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.