Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Why Old Fender Parts Don't Have Matching Dates

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by PumpJockey, Jan 11, 2017.

1. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Friend of Leo's

Oct 12, 2010
    New Joisey
    A great photo by Mr. Donn Mowry taken on a dealer Fender factory tour in the 70s.

Electronic parts for instruments and basses dumped into boxes sorted by type, but not by date.

You needed a pair of 250K pots? You reached in and grabbed a couple. When the box ran low they dumped in some more from another delivery. No computerized inventory control back then.

15871501_1854970658059999_5303765214823339338_n.jpg

2. noah330

noah330 Tele-Holic

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    Forest White actually did maintain the standard inventory control system of the day to make sure there were always parts available.

IIRC in the amplifier department employees would fill out cards with the parts they needed and they were delivered twice a day.

Even today, I'm unaware of guitar companies that date each part of the guitar.

3. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2010
    Fullerton CA
    That may have been the result of having to choose between using that warehouse space for parts, or using the same real estate to house the computer to keep track of those parts.
    (I know, I exaggerate. It was 1970, not 1940. Why, I'll bet you could get three or four computers in that space. But that blonde was probably cuter.)

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. rtwo

rtwo Tele-Meister

Nov 12, 2013
    Arroyo Grande, CA.
    When I put my 69 Start up for sale, I had a tech take it apart and take pics for authentication purposes. The electronics dated to 1966 while the date stamp on the neck dated to '69.

6. rtwo

rtwo Tele-Meister

Nov 12, 2013
    Arroyo Grande, CA.
    Damn auto correct. It was a Strat.

7. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    The rule of thumb with Fender guitars has always been:

The guitar generally dates to the newest date coded part that hasn't been replaced. Usually, this means pots, if there's no date written on the end of the neck or in the neck pocket.

Obviously, the guitar can't be older than the most recent date code, but it can certainly be newer than that same date.

Same goes for Fender amps, as far as I know. Although with amps, I'm pretty sure the speaker's date code is usually used.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  8. red57strat

red57strat Friend of Leo's

Oct 4, 2003
    Massachusetts
    Did you mean the opposite? Maybe it's the cold meds I'm on.

9. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    Yeah, I guess I did. Actually, I originally wrote it that way, but then the cold meds I'm on kicked in and I got confused and changed it. But, yeah, you're right. Mea culpa and all that.

I changed it in the above post so that people who don't keep reading past the first post that I made don't get confused, too. Thank you for pointing it out. I appreciate it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.