Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Why oh why could you all not be rich audiophiles rather than poor musicians?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by printer2, Jul 31, 2013.

1. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

May 24, 2010
    Canada
    Finally checked in a piece of 60's test equipment that has probable not seen more than a couple hundred hours. Inside are two ECC801.S and four 12AT7's made by Telefunken. The CC801's are high grade low noise 12AT7's. At least a couple hundred in tubes.

[​IMG]

Oh why oh why could they not have used 12AX7's?

2. Berndizzle440

Berndizzle440 Tele-Holic

Sep 1, 2010
    Newark, NY
    I love using at and au 7s to help clean up my signal great find! Wish I could find sone good telefunkens

3. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

Jun 11, 2009
    Minnesota
    What test equipment? A lot of the old tube equipment was left on 24/7 for stability, but I hear ya. Real nice score.

4. Vladimir

Vladimir Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Trust me, there is no such thing as a rich audiophile.
    [​IMG]

5. printer2

May 24, 2010
    Canada
    Was an electronic filter at a college. It would have been used for demonstration. We tossed out 1000's of tubes and other old electronic equipment (signal generators, scopes, and the like) when I first started there as a tech. The thing looks brand new and I did not have the heart to see it crushed. I had no inkling I would end up back in the tube realm although I did grab a bunch of 12AX7's and a boxed 6L6. It was my second day working there, If I was not new on the job I would have grabbed a lot more.

6. printer2

May 24, 2010
    Canada
    Yeah, but that is the latter stages...

7. H. Mac

H. Mac Friend of Leo's

May 26, 2012
    Atlanta, Georgia
    A great find - - and with perfect labels no less!

8. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Rich audiophiles....printer2, did you catch the latest about WEstinghouse going back into some sort of vacuum tube production. They also sell a tube amp for such audiophiles.....$100,000.....yes, $100,000!!!! These are the sort of customers my friend dealt with back in the '90's who were shelling out $30K per pair for a set of his solid state monobloc power amps!
    Those 801/12AT7's' look like some great driver tubes. Good grab.

9. printer2

May 24, 2010
    Canada
    But nothing that will end up in one of my amps. If the opportunity comes around to unload them I probably will. I was only checking out the piece of equipment to find out what the transformer was.

10. 6942

6942 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 15, 2006
    Santa Fe, NM
    Poor but smart Audiophiles build their own tube amps.

11. printer2

May 24, 2010
    Canada
    And they are too cheap to buy my tubes. :(

12. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 5, 2008
    Tulsa

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.