Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Why no Super Reverb model, even from Fender?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by DougM, Oct 6, 2017.

1. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    :D pfeewww ;)

2. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    i kinda agree with that 4 x 10 is a pretty dynamic and punchy combo, would be hard to get it right imho..

ik multimedia makes a plugin version of it http://www.ikmultimedia.com/it/products/fender2/ let's hope the OP does not get mad at me because it's a plugin :lol:

jimash likes this.
  3. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 2, 2006
    NY
    I would guess the people who make modeling amps don't share your opinion it is the greatest blues amp of all time.

4. Tele295

Tele295 Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Ventura CA
    I've got a good Super Reverb patch in my Line6 pod 2.0. It's essentially a Deluxe Reverb model into a 4x10 cab simulator

5. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    The BF Deluxe is my favorite model in my GT40, and I must confess I haven't tried it with the tweed Bassman 410 cab. I guess I'll have to give it (and the BF Twin) a shot when I get home from work today.

6. TheDTrain

TheDTrain Tele-Holic

Jun 12, 2010
    Jersey
    I usually put a BF twin vibro channel through a bassman cab for Super Reverb. But I've played a RI and it sounded so good that they need to start including it with their models. At least the cab they can probably get away with the Twin vibro channel, they do sound similar.

DougM likes this.
  7. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    The GT also has the 3x10 Bandmaster which sounds closer to me than the 4x10 Bassman cab with the BF Twin. But, for some reason the 3x10 cab isn't available on other amp models, at least not on the original firmware build, 'cause I haven't upgraded to the newer firmware. I don't have a cell or tablet, so I've never figured out how to do Wi-Fi with my internet connection. I just connect my laptop with an Ethernet cable.

8. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    The Cyber Twin, which is IMHO the best modeling map Fender ever made, has a Super Reverb.

DougM likes this.
  9. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    Tab Benoit and Tommy Castro seem to think it's fine. Yes, they both play loud.

DougM likes this.
  10. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    Too loud to be a blooze map? Didn't a lot of blues players use Twin Reverb maps back in the day?

11. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    A large part of the magic in a Super Reverb is the 4x10" speakers in an open back cabinet. The Vibrolux, Bandmaster and others are similar wattage but don't sound like a SR. No cabinet emulator or amp model can make anything with less sq in of speaker surface sound anything like a 4x10" Super Reverb... they can't push enough air to sound like 4x10". Without going into specific speaker types consider the amount of air pushed by a 4x10", this is why they sound so "big" at 40w. Only a 4x12" or 2x15" have more speaker surface area than a 4x10". I am not even going to get into the lame processed sounding shortcomings of amp modeling in general.

Speaker surface area
    1x12" 113.04 sq in
    1x15" 176.6 sq in
    2x10" 157 sq in
    4x10" 314 sq in <---

109-0921_IMG.JPG

12. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Afflicted

Jul 31, 2014
    Alberta Canada
    I apart from being an oxymoron it would be down right wrong.

13. mitchfinck

mitchfinck Tele-Holic

Dec 7, 2015
    Stratford, Ontario
    Little 5W monsters are what I think of for the blues.
    ... But the original post was just me being a dick.

nojazzhere likes this.
  14. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    London
    I've never quite understood this idea. For instance, if you have decent stereo speakers or good headphones, doesn't a recording of, say Derek Trucks playing through a Super Reverb sound like a Super Reverb?

In which case you may be hearing it through a 40 millimeter speaker in your headphones.

And that's not even getting into the teeny little speakers in high-quality earbuds.

Frodebro and codamedia like this.
  15. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    Is that what BB, Muddy and the rest of the blues people played through?

nojazzhere likes this.
  16. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    The Cyber Twin is excellent at this. It has a couple Celestions. There is a Champ setting that sounds just like an 8. Those were expensive maps when they came out. IIRC it was the flagship of the line. Great box all around!

Bill likes this.
  17. Mike Simpson

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    No, not unless you do not have the point of reference of knowing what a real Super Reverb sounds like live... sure the recording may sound good but you will be missing the amount of air, ambiance and sound being pushed by the real thing.

A stereo does not really sound like being in front of Jimi Hendrix playing through a wall of stacks either... it can't.

These days everyone wants to self justify that some digital resemblance kinda, sorta, maybe sounds a little like the real thing and that is good enough for them since they never heard the real thing live anyway.

18. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    London
    OK, I understand. I need earbuds and a fan. ;)

Mike Simpson likes this.
  19. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Holic

Apr 1, 2013
    NW USA
    I can't stand SRV, but didn't he use a Super Reverb as his main amp? I think BB King played a Lab Series amp for decades: does that amp fit your parameters for a proper blues amp? I never realized there were rules for blues amps. Thanks for the info!

20. Mike Simpson

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    I am not a big SRV fan either. SRV did play through Super Reverbs sometimes but his main setup I think was 2 Vibroverbs.

Quote:
    The heart and soul of Vaughan’s live rig for most of the Eighties was a pair of Fender Vibroverb combos. The Vibroverbs, each featuring a single 15-inch speaker, were the source of Vaughan’s cranked-up overdrive tones, and he also used one of the combos to power his Fender Vibratone rotating-speaker cabinet throughout his career. Introduced in 1963, the Vibroverb was Fender’s first amp with built-in reverb.

Before Vaughan bought his Marshall Club and Country amp, a mid-Sixties blackface Fender Super Reverb was the source of his clean tone. When Vaughan started playing increasingly larger venues in 1983, he added a pair of Super Reverbs to his rig, which he used along with his Vibroverbs.

Like the Vibroverb, the Super Reverb is powered by two 6L6 tubes and provides 40 watts of output, but because it has four 10-inch speakers (Vaughan loaded Electro-Voice speakers in his Super Reverb amps) instead of a single 15-inch speaker it provided the louder clean headroom Vaughan needed onstage.

Eventually, the Super Reverbs replaced the Vibroverbs as the source of his onstage overdrive tones, although Vaughan kept one Vibroverb in his rig exclusively for driving the Vibratone rotating speaker cabinet. During his 1990 tour, Vaughan replaced the Super Reverbs with a pair of Fender’s newly released ’59 Bassman Reissue amps.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.