Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Why no cherry wood?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Tollehouse Twang, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Tollehouse Twang

Tollehouse Twang Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2017
    Vista, ca
    I thought about doing a thinline. Or even just chambering. I'll definitely do it with one of the bodies. I've got 8 to experiment with!

dougstrum likes this.

2. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    That's the one that I remember! Obviously my memory for weight isn't very good, as it's a lot less than 10 lbs. Oops.

I remember it because it's soooo pretty.

bullfrogblues likes this.

3. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    We might be a small group, but we buy a HELUVA lot of guitars! :D

savofenno, moosie and R. Stratenstein like this.

4. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    I think a lot of consumers would see a beautiful-wood guitar and then ask what it is. Cherry is traditionally associated with furniture, but there is absolutely no reason it can't be used for great guitars. I have built furniture of cherry, and like how it works. It has a reputation for being blotchy, but I've used several kinds of stains and finishes on it without this problem.

savofenno likes this.

5. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 14, 2008
    Manheim Pa.
    Cherry is a good choice for any type of guitar . I have used it and will continue going forward as the spirit moves me . Martin used it in their SWOMGT and SWDGT models . Sadly , far too many people have been thoroughly brainwashed over the years concerning wood/s . Cherry also smells good when working with it .

savofenno likes this.

6. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Yes! I'd forgotten to mention this. Very briefly, right after a cut, you get an extremely sweet cherry-ish aroma.

7. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    virginia
    I think the only negative is some weight issues with solid bodies. I build lots of cherry furniture and used it as a top on a semihollowbody years ago. Beautiful wood that ages quickly with light hitting it (darkens)

8. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I found a nice little piece for sale at my lumberyard, bought it and glued up a two piece body blank. Then it's sat for months doing nothing - I'm not much of a guitar builder I guess! But it is a great wood, I did cherry flooring in our home remodel and have a bunch of leftovers for making pedalboards and such.

9. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Wow, I gotta figure out where I got that weird idea now...

10. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 14, 2008
    Manheim Pa.
    Cherry is anything but splintery . Very closed pore and closed grain . Along with maple , it can be bent for acoustic sides when flatsawn with reliable success . Cherry makes for a wonderfully satiny feeling neck when finished properly . It's only real drawback is , like maple , it has a tendency to burn fairly easily when using power tools , so be careful and keep moving .

thecrushr likes this.

11. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2015
    Da' Magic Mittin'
    I think it is because the crystals in cherry wood are not properly aligned for unidirectionality of a signal. Therefore, it has a bad tap-tone, and thus is not a good tonewood.

Just tap a piece and see for yourself.

nojazzhere, Mat UK and Cgrove like this.

12. Beatbx

Beatbx Tele-Meister

Apr 4, 2004
    Eugene, OR
    I just finished this cherry top/redwood body and I love the sound. The Lollar Low Winds don't hurt:^) Cherry's density is comparable to red maple which is a wonderful top wood. IMG_3817.JPG

13. Tollehouse Twang

Tollehouse Twang Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2017
    Vista, ca
    Here's 2 of the pieces sanded back just a little to see the grain. Still lots of saw marks from the mill. These are from a friend who slabbed the tree and it's been sitting for years. He had slabs 20 ft long! Old growth much? So every piece has a live edge! Cut with enough room to make any body I need.

Attached Files:

14. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    I'm in the love cherry crowd. It might be one of my favorite woods to work with. I have tons of it. I use the scraps and shavings for smoking. I never burn it as just fuel. I probably get more out of the Cherry that I have than any other wood.
    Book matched Cherry on Mahogany: IMG_4695.JPG

These 2 are from the same slab. It was purchased by a friend on their way from New York to Mass. The slab was a gift which I turned into 2 lefties to gift back. IMG_4142.JPG

I also had some Rift/quartered Cherry I used for the necks with maple boards. IMG_4165.JPG

15. jenos

jenos Tele-Meister

Mar 28, 2012
    Columbia, SC
    I would love a cherry cap on a tele body or an all cherry body... One of my favorite woods.

Recently I've been GAS'ing for a walnut or poplar burl top single cut.

DrASATele likes this.

16. GearHund

GearHund Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Apr 9, 2008
    East, Tx
    My Dad used to build furniture. He decided to build something for each of his five kids. I asked for a guitar body. We went to a wood mill where he lived and picked out a big slab of cherry. He made a few things out of it, including this body.

1112120831a.jpg

teletimetx, Zeonoid, Rock-Ola and 5 others like this.

17. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2015
    Da' Magic Mittin'

Beautiful grain.

GearHund likes this.

18. DougM

DougM Tele-Meister

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Godin uses cherry back and sides for many of their A&L, Seagull, and La Patrie acoustic lines, and Martin's smartwood model also has cherry back and sides. I don't know of any production solidbodies that use cherry.

19. spartan warrior

spartan warrior Tele-Meister

The body in the pictures is an English cherry front on a chambered sapele back.

I'm not sure how English cherry differs from any other nations cherry...

Tele body - 23.jpg

But it is beautiful wood to work with, cuts sweetly, sands nicely, and takes a good finish.

The grain on mine is 'interesting' as opposed to 'startling'

Tele body - 43.jpg

Tele body - 45.jpg

Sound wise... Funnily enough, it sounds like a guitar equipped with Seymour Duncan vintage P90's.
    They sound much the same as when they were fitted to a mahogany body in a previous life.

I intend using cherry (from some country or another) again in the future.

20. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Meister

Oct 6, 2015
    blu ridge mtn cabin
    Some mighty fine looking guitars in this thread!

I believe the main difference between English and
    American cherry is the accent:)

Zeonoid and nojazzhere like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.