Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Why Nitro?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by 04renostar, Dec 7, 2009.

1. bmgblues

bmgblues Tele-Meister

Aug 6, 2007
    Nashville
    Everyone should read Ron's book. I think he has the utimate answer, that it feels like your lovers skin. He's right, its all in your head. Hats off Ron!

2. Kevin Allen

Kevin Allen Tele-Meister

Dec 5, 2009
    Alabama
    personally, i dont care for nitro eventhough thats whats on my tele. nitro lasts longer than most finishes so ur guitar will look new longer assuming u dont abuse it.

where as laquer and others can dry hard, which means when the guitar body vibrates, it shatters like glass which can look bad and flake off...

to me, being familiar with paints, something like laquer will dry hard, and allow ur guitar to vibrate naturally, if there is no room it'll shatter. where as nitro will allow ur body to give and last longer. BUT, the way i look at it, as little as it may be, i see it as a muffle not allowing my guitar to vibrate freely.

i'm sure i'll get all kinds of disagreements about this reply, but look at the facts. some of the best sounding guitars from the best musicians have rough looking guitars where the paint flaked off....hmm, what "legend" has a guiitar that still looks great because of nitro? i may be wrong, but i'm thinking of people like stevie ray vaughans strat, well like my fender lead 2, their signature is the paint cracking and coming off.

gibson acoustics, the finish cracks, why? they vibrate, shattering the finish.

so far, i've never seen a naturally cracked up nitro finish. i know nitro is hard.

one more example, cars are no longer painted with laquer because they crack up. now i see something different good for a car, but do we really like our tone comprimised?

yall dont hate me now lol. just making suggestions and thoughts.

3. BrownsBrick

BrownsBrick Tele-Meister

Oct 16, 2009
    Oakland, CA
    The difference between the two is WAY too subtle for me to care, but I've never finished/cared about the way a guitar "ages" so.....

What about all that thick paint Leo Fender laid on his old instruments? I could imagine suffocating if someone poured a bucket of Candy Red on my head...

4. bossaholic

bossaholic Friend of Leo's

Aug 4, 2008
    Maui
    What resonates better..a glass or a plastic cup?

5. Kevin Allen

Kevin Allen Tele-Meister

Dec 5, 2009
    Alabama
    glass i would say. with glass i hear "tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnggg" with plastic i hear "thunk"

6. Old Cane

Old Cane Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 7, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I prefer nitro but I'd have to grab that glass and stuff a napkin in it or something. Those resonating glasses irritate me. Put mine in plastic, please.....to go.

7. Stike

Stike TDPRI Member

Nov 17, 2009
    Durham NC
    Nitrocellulose aint glass.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy Tele-Holic

Dec 10, 2009
    Tennessee
    Interesting.

Taking a page from RonKirn's site, let's say you are recessing a neck plate but aren't as careful as Ron. Let's say the plate shifts slightly and cracks the lacquer but not the wood. Can something like this be reflowed?

9. 04renostar

04renostar TDPRI Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Reno Nevada
    I 'think' so. I'm just learning about the nitro finishes, but you may be able sand down some of the clear you have now, not so much that you sand through the color, and reapply new clear in that area. The new clear should melt in a little.

10. Dirty Steve

Dirty Steve Tele-Holic

Nov 1, 2008
    Lurking
    Nitro? Poly? Balderdash! My guitar is black.

11. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    Here in Aus. we can't buy it, or I don't know how to get it, was told I can't buy certain products and import 'em by customs.Even lacqer was impossible to get.Somewthing to do with ageing/cracking and environment laws.Can someone help me here ? I have a nice "Eric Easton" '58 copy, which I've just finished, antique white but it still needs a protective coat.
    Can anyone help?

12. Ziggy

Ziggy Tele-Holic

Dec 10, 2009
    Tennessee

Thanks! I haven't acually screwed it up yet. Just working out the contingencies in case I do. :lol:

13. hackworth1

hackworth1 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

I never painted (finished) a guitar or anything that looked this good. Go Nitro. This is my first build. I'm stoked about Nitro.

Attached Files:

14. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

That looks pretty delish.

What flavor?

15. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

Would love to see another pic of this. Have any more?

16. hackworth1

Major Burns,

There are lots of pics in my build thread in the Tele Home Depot section of this site. "Mahogany Thinline Flame Maple Top Build" is the title. It is still on the front page about half way down.

Thanks for your interest.

Thanks Banana,

Mahogany, Papaya hair color (Redken Shades EQ 06AA); McFadden Mahogany Grain filler (one app); Behlen sanding sealer, three coats; Four coats of McFadden clear nitro; Ten days later (on account of rainy weather) Four final coats.

Used 3/4 of a quart of Clear lacquer and a quart of thinner.

Wet Sanded with 600 grit and windex. Crocus cloth with windex. McGuiars Scratch X 2, McGuiars Swirl Remover, Armor All liquid car wax.

17. hackworth1

Nitro Job

Couple more pics.

Attached Files:

18. hackworth1

One more.

Attached Files:

19. ReSo-tone

ReSo-tone TDPRI Member

Nitro??

I am new at building guitars and I bought a body(strat) that was an Allparts second...daphne blue with a couple of dings. It was a relic project so it was already started when I bought it. The finish is polyurethane...I sanded it thin and found a water based hybrid polyurethane and had it tinted to an '60's style green. One thin coat over the top. The finish looks great, easy to work and is very thin.

Attached Files:

20. red57strat

red57strat Friend of Leo's

Oct 4, 2003
    Massachusetts
    I'm not a fan of nitro.

I'm always shocked that most of the argument for nitro (though not all) is based on misconceptions.

It's not true that it allows a guitar to breath (unless it's falling off), it's only thinner than poly whatever when it's applied that way, the same with it feeling better than poly.

Either finish isn't going to affect a guitar's tone more than the other if applied properly.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.