Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Why Nitro?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by 04renostar, Dec 7, 2009.

1. bossaholic

bossaholic Friend of Leo's

Aug 4, 2008
    Maui
    I don't think so otherwise we wouldn't be able to buy nitro anywhere. I buy my nitro from my local Woodcraft store.

But after the Climate summit, who knows.

2. Hackguitarist

Hackguitarist Tele-Holic

Mar 26, 2009
    Kerfuffle
    The perpetual Father perhaps ? ;)

Outside Nashville, like 25 miles outside. I am a lost yankee in the south, but not for long. House goes on the market in the spring and going to Portland, OR... For the pine ;)

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Now, we're getting somewhere.

Also.

This type of finish can be polished up or down to create all sorts of looks. I've tried sanding poly and other catalyzed finishes back and smoothing and polishing the finish but it just doesn't have that sexy soft glow.

I had a '63 Plymouth Belvedere wagon passed down to me, which had been hit and badly repaired at the local Ford pretend body shop. The layers of incompatible finish those fools applied to the car where disgusting as the enamel delaminated and would not hold a shine. We, as kids, with primitive tools and working mostly in the open, got way nicer finishes on these Kaiser Manhattans and the Dragon we worked on, because we used lacquer (acrylic) and each layer married back into the previous ones.

4. mudbean

mudbean Friend of Leo's

Yup, you did it: The Last Word.

Guess we can shut down the website and go home, now.

mud

5. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    anything you wanna do in the US is now illegal, unless you pay the appropriate tax... and any thing you wanna do in Mexico is illegal, unless you pay off the local Policía :eek:

Ron Kirn

6. charlie cash

charlie cash Tele-Holic

Jul 1, 2006
    Western Colorado
    Originally posted by Ron Kirn
    Ron,
    With due respect to your vast knowledge of guitars and music, I have to disagree with the above statement. There are many posts in the tips, tabs and theory section with members asking about practice routines etc. and lots of helpful playing advice from some of the more accomplished members of the forum. I've also come across links to other educational resources in the forum. Discussion of how to improve one's playing may not be as prevalent as some of the other topics, but it exists.

7. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    Yeah, I know..... I was just using Poetic License, I have to use it occasionally or it expires... ;)

rk

8. charlie cash

charlie cash Tele-Holic

Jul 1, 2006
    Western Colorado
    The emphatic "not once" separated by the elipses fooled me. Your license is good for another year.;)

9. Rob52

Rob52 Tele-Holic

Nah, not too "Preachy".
    We live in a world where we can now discuss our every thought with just about anyone, anywhere, which is both a great asset and a curse at times. It does mean never ending debates about the merits of different finishes, brass versus steel saddles, what type of mahogany or ash is better than another type and so on and so on... and you're probably right, at the end of the day none of it makes us better guitarists and none of it arguably makes for better guitars.
    If someone likes the way nitro feels, or the way it ages, then fine, it's their choice, but it's not some "Holy Grail" of guitar finishes. Every finish has it's own particular properties, though when it comes to electric guitars I doubt that the effect any finish has on the final tone or sound is much of a factor at all. I know some will disagree and they're entitled to, but there are great electric guitars made covered in all manner of different finishes.
    Given than, if a particular finish, bridge, pickup, or whatever makes someone feel more positive about their instrument, then maybe they will be inspired to play better or practice more.
    As Ron said it's the grey matter that counts.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009

10. 04renostar

04renostar TDPRI Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Reno Nevada
    kinda and a little off topic too. I never said anything about my abilities with playing my guitar & wouldn't. I suck ass. However, I don't think my skill level at playing 'em has anything to do with what kind of finish I choose in building one.

11. Maxwell Street

Maxwell Street Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2009
    chicago usa
    poly's great....if you need to crank out 1000 guitars a week....

12. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Banned

Apr 5, 2008
    Desolation Row
    Which one is G7?

-----o
    -o----
    o----- ???

13. Old Cane

Old Cane Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 7, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    This is what worries me. If the wood can breathe then can I not choke my strings? Do I have to choke harder to stop the breathing? Won't that pull the strings out of tune? will a capo help? Please help. Am I forced to use a poly finish?

14. Old Cane

Old Cane Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 7, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN

It's the one between G6 and G8. Glad to help when I can.

15. J_Lee

J_Lee TDPRI Member

Aug 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    I think some play guitars for the present and some play to connect with the past. How far in the past can affect their feelings about nitro finishes. Now, where did I see that article about Luther Perkins' Esquire...

16. ckroenlein

ckroenlein Tele-Holic

Sep 29, 2006
    St. Louis, Missourah
    Nitro is easier. Smells great, looks good, and who does not like saying the word Nitro? Sounds way more manly than Poly! Preference is really all it is. Nitro will age better and faster. And yes, repair is a breeze although I seem to do the opposite...

17. stucliff

stucliff TDPRI Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Madrid, Spain
    To the great characteristics mentioned in this thread, I think that I can add the excellent adhesion factor that the Nitro has. Problems are reported once in a while with other finishes (waterborne, spar varnish, and poly "hammeritis"), but Nitro seems to adhere really well and resist sweat really nicely, which is the main factor when it comes to adhesion problems.

A drawback could be that Nitro is less resistant to chemicals than most modern finishes.

I don't completely agree with the aging factor. We can say that we like the way that '50s or '60s Nitro have aged, but improvements have been made to that formula from that time, and how "modern" Nitro will look like in 40 years will take us 40 years to tell...

And you can use almost right out of the can without activators, it has no "live time" like 2 components poly. Like almost all of the really good things in life, "it's simple".

Regards

18. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 8, 2007
    Norfolk UK
    G7 ? thats a real riot .:lol:

19. 04renostar

04renostar TDPRI Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Reno Nevada
    good answer... I'm not going for what's it gonna look like in 40 years thing, but the "it's simple" is all I need to know.

thanks,

20. Stuco

Stuco Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 27, 2006
    GA
    Why nitro? Because it's awesome, duh. :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.