Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Why Nitro?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by 04renostar, Dec 7, 2009.

1. 04renostar

04renostar TDPRI Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Reno Nevada
    Just curious, but why do most people use Nitro for painting & finishing guitars? I'm getting ready to start my first Tele project & I was at a local paint supply shop to look at what they had to offer. While I was there the sales guy asked me "why does everyone want Nitrocellulose when building or refinishing a guitar?" I'm new at this and I didn't have a good answer for him. I just said that I was looking for nitro products as thats what everyone seams to be using.

SO! I'm assuming you folks here know the answer to this & I sure could use the education.

thanks,

2. Hackguitarist

Hackguitarist Tele-Holic

Mar 26, 2009
    Kerfuffle
    Because it will kill you much slower than imron ??

OR

Because it lets the wood breathe and sounds better than everything else ?? [​IMG]

3. JosephB

JosephB Tele-Afflicted

Nov 18, 2007
    Auburn, Alabama
    it also ages a lot better...but thats a matter of preference, not function.

4. woodman

woodman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free + Supporter

Nov 28, 2004
    Mint Hill, NC
    Because that's how Leo did it! (joke! joke!)

5. Hackguitarist

Hackguitarist Tele-Holic

Mar 26, 2009
    Kerfuffle
    Lack of UV protection as compared to more modern finishes does allow the wood to age and the natural patina out on transparent finishes. I spray with it so far because it is so easy to work with. Not to mention folks that wind up with my stuf like nitro beif Leo did it. ;)

6. 07 road house

07 road house Tele-Holic

Apr 17, 2009
    Dallas
    It looks cooler and you dont get that plastic look. I had a epiphone alley cat that had so much poly on it that it looked like a lolly pop. I hated that about it. I traded it off.

7. 04renostar

04renostar TDPRI Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Reno Nevada
    good answers so far... so how's Reranch's colors? I see thier name alot on here. I have Deft sanding sealer & gloss finish in spray cans along with Old Master's grain filler. I just don't have a color yet. Anybody have an experience using Reranch color with Deft as the SS & top coat? Will the Deft stuff work with the Reranch color ok?

It'll be going on a one piece ash body & I'm leaning towards a Reranch's Butterscotch finish. I was thinking about staining the body with an ebony/black stain, but starting to think I may want to change that idea.

thanks,

8. 04renostar

04renostar TDPRI Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Reno Nevada
    You sure it wasn't Les' idea first?

9. 04renostar

04renostar TDPRI Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Reno Nevada
    I know what ya mean... I've got an alpine white Epiphone LP Studio and the finish on that one looks to be really thick. Still looks nice but it does have an almost plastic feel to it.

10. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Mar 5, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Admin Post
    It's popular because it's what they used in the good old days. Oh, and because it took Fender several years to figure out how to spray poly nice and thin like nitrocellulose.

Of course, nitro wears like crap, can't handle extreme changes in temperature, and is sticky until it cures, but heck, it's NITRO!

Tim

11. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

May 19, 2004
    Tennessee
    Why nitro?
    Because that's what the guys on the internet like.

12. aegert

aegert Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2009
    long island, n.y.
    because my neighbors dog whispered it to me in a dream!

*%#@ cuz I relic guitars.. Poly don't relic!

13. Hackguitarist

Hackguitarist Tele-Holic

Mar 26, 2009
    Kerfuffle
    Decades maybe...

14. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Mar 5, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Admin Post
    Sure, maybe. All I know is that my brother has a 90s Lone Star Strat that has a lovely, thin, non-goopy or plastic-looking finish that looks absolutely great, after about 600 gigs...

Tim

15. Hackguitarist

Hackguitarist Tele-Holic

Mar 26, 2009
    Kerfuffle
    One day I may take one poly clumpedcaster and sand the **** out of it and thin skin it to see what it comes out like..Heck of a lot of sealer under the thin skin, eh?

16. woodman

Nov 28, 2004
    Mint Hill, NC
    just clarifying: my point wasn't that Leo originated it. it was that there's a gospel of Leo with many devotees, and some folks find that orthodoxy amusing when carried to extremes. (hence the "joke" ref.)

17. Jerry J

Jerry J Tele-Afflicted

Mar 25, 2003
    NoVa
    Some people see Nitro and say why, I see Nitro and say why not!

All kidding aside - it's easy to apply and finish. When it's finally finished Nitro looks great but almost as soon as you start playing your guitar, the finish never looks quite the same again. In other words, play it and it will 'relic' naturally. With Poly, nothing short of a nuclear detonation will cause it to relic. YMMV but it's Nitro for me!

18. woodman

Nov 28, 2004
    Mint Hill, NC
    didn't it though! i had a '72 Thinline with plasticene goop all the way to the top of the frets — i ended up stripping it all off, body and all, but it took an eternity (i'd just been laid off and was at loose ends).

19. JCBurke59

JCBurke59 Tele-Holic

Jan 7, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    This one has Deft clear over ReRanch Butterscotch Blonde. I used ReRanch S&S, but plenty of guys shoot over the Deft S&S - it should be fine. I used the Deft clear on this one because Butterscotch Blonde is mixed to look like it's already yellowed, I wanted a non-yellowing clear to put over it. I'm not sure how dark the Butterscotch Blonde might get if I used a clear that would also yellow on top of it.

One of these days I want to shoot one in 'Fender Blonde' (the lighter shade) with a clear that will yellow over time just to see how that goes.

[​IMG]

20. 07 road house

07 road house Tele-Holic

Apr 17, 2009
    Dallas
    I like poly in some colors. Usally solid colors look the best to my eyes. The burst just plain and simple look better in nitro

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.