Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Why might I have this Capacitor on the volume pot?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by maceo357, Dec 6, 2018.

1. maceo357

maceo357 TDPRI Member

Nov 10, 2018
    Earth
    So I went into the cavity of this PRS to actually install a Kinman treble bleed mod and it already had this capacitor? (B181).
    Is this a treble bleed?

Attached Files:

2. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Yes. Assuming that's a volume pot we're looking at.

jrblue and soulman969 like this.
  3. maceo357

maceo357 TDPRI Member

Nov 10, 2018
    Earth
    It is without a doubt the volume. The other has an orange drop cap.

4. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Holic

Feb 12, 2011
    Southern IL
    It is a treble bleed and actually retains more treble as the volume is rolled down than the other types, cap -resistor in parallel and cap-resistor in series

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  5. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    Yes, if installed correctly, the difference is easily distinguishable. I just put one in my Tele and it’s a game changer. I’m going to get one for all my guitars.

6. beninma

beninma Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Yah.. I have that exact same mod (well assuming it's a similar value capacitor) in my Telecaster and I like it 100% better than not having it.

I already have a knob for removing Treble, no thanks on having the volume do it. I want to be able to roll the volume off and get a cleaner sound without losing the treble.

None of these mods are perfect in terms of keeping the tone exactly the same as you roll off the volume but all that matters is whether you like it. Without a bleed at all the knob on my guitar rolled off a tremendous amount of the treble. I would say if you rolled the volume off 1/4 it was the equivalent of rolling off the tone at least 1/2 way off.

jrblue likes this.
  7. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    I found one on a recent acquisition.
    Works great.

8. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    As others have said, I would have expected this cap to probably keep an even higher amount of treble as the volume is rolled back than a Kinman or Duncan style (which would include a resistor). That begs the question - was there a significant treble loss when trolling the volume back already that led you to consider adding the Kinman treble bleed? And can you read the value on the existing TB cap if you move those wires out of the way?

Thanks,
    Rex

jimilee likes this.
  9. maceo357

maceo357 TDPRI Member

Nov 10, 2018
    Earth
    No there was not enough significant treble loss to justify modification. That being said that for a stock guitar this one sounds amazing. My intent was to put a TB in if there was not one as I use my volume a lot. Once I got the back plate off though and saw that one was already in my decided the guitar did not need it.
    I do intend to replace the tone pot with a no-load.

10. kafka

kafka Tele-Holic

Oct 18, 2013
    Maryland
    There was one from the factory on my Mira. Kept way too much treble, actually, so I ended up clipping it. I was fine without the treble bleed, but I'd use a different circuit if I were to restore it.

11. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    I just added that mod to a dual P90 tele and it does help the neck pickup from losing all its highs when I guitar vol down. Honestly I think it also spreads out the sweep of the vol knob some. Feels that way. I bought a commercially made cap and resistor.

12. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Holic

Oct 17, 2008
    Tujunga California
    That just means the value of the cap was too high, you could have experimented with lower values till you found one that gave a natural sound as you turn down, instead of just clipping it out.
    Al

13. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Keep in mind, folks, even those listed by soulman above have nice names, these values are NOT set in stone. This is not a sling against the poster, just be aware that these are starting points only. It'll differ depending on which pickups you have, volume pot value, and whether you want to have the circuit be audible, or audibly invisible.

You can dial it in however you wish, but work must be done... :)

soulman969 likes this.
  14. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Tele-Holic

Nov 16, 2014
    Albany NY
    I've been very happy with the stock plain cap treble bleed on my PRSs. I like it a little brighter when I roll the volume way back. Can always tweak the tone knob if I want it warmer.

15. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Yep, all a matter of taste and to what degree you want the circuit to work. Lots of room for personal options.

zipseattle likes this.
  16. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Holic

Nov 14, 2010
    Santa Barbara
    Lots of experience with treble bleeds, which I really like. Moosie's comments about values are true to my experience. If you can do so, fiddling with a range of values will help you arrive at the setup that works best for how you use the volume control. I, too, find it ridiculous to rely on the volume knob for making changes to tone, when it's easy to use that other control, you know.. the one called... "tone."

moosie likes this.
  17. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Holic

Oct 17, 2008
    Tujunga California
    The resistor used in the cap/resistor version affects the taper of the pot. It's not necessary unless you want to change the taper. Old vintage Teles had only the cap.
    Al

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.