Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Why is "Vintage" defined as pre-1974 in this forum???

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by E5RSY, Aug 25, 2017.

1. TDPRI

TDPRI Administrator Staff Member

Mar 2, 2003
    TDPRILAND
    Admin Post
    I did some more searching... and if I can be believed back then, I chose 1973 as the cutoff date because the changes to the Tele body after 1973 were more dramatic. Especially the end of the "notch" at the neck pocket.

I found some old threads of folks discussing it at the time.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    bo and tonyj like this.

2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    I hadn't put the model name to the guitar when you posted this, but I had a "TV yellow" SC-1 some years back and it was a pretty great guitar.
    At the time I thought it should have some value, and it wasn't exactly what I wanted in a guitar, so I tried to get money out of it for other gear.
    Sadly it brought pretty small money in maybe 2003 or so.

Now they seem to bring a price though, mine was exactly the same as this one. I do still have the matching bass.

https://reverb.com/item/6524708-vintage-1984-g-l-sc-1

BorderRadio likes this.

3. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    That's the color I had. Geeze that's a big jump from the 40 bucks my folks spent when they found it at a yard sale years before. We had to move unexpectedly 7 or 8 years ago from a multilevel apartment and it was a nightmare. One of many mishaps was the snapping of the neck of my SC-1. I was crushed about it. I parted some stuff out, but gave up on what was left. I still don't like to talk about that part, but it is what it is...

telemnemonics likes this.

4. maloburro

maloburro Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2012
    ca
    I think it's fine. This vintage forum has always been pretty cool about people posting post74 fenders.

The thing I always think of is my 75 Tele Deluxe. Aside from the fact that the reissues are called 72 deluxe and the originals have "73" stamped on the heel, it was a newly established model at the time of the cutoff.

5. The car that was in the movie Christine was a 1958 Plymouth Fury....not a Cadillac.. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.