Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Why is "Vintage" defined as pre-1974 in this forum???

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by E5RSY, Aug 25, 2017.

1. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe

2. bo

bo Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I remember the discussion but not the reasoning. Yes, it's arbitrary. IIRC it was set at 30 years old or something. Where's 0le Fuzzy when you need him?

telemnemonics likes this.

3. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    I kind of suspected that...that it was set in year one of the forum for what seemed a pretty good reason back then and just remained. It's pretty surprising that a place inhabited by a huge tribe of gear nerds would resort to "arbitrary" and not a good technical reason, though.

I'm still voting for 1971 and the three-bolt neck. :cool:

4. Hobs

Hobs TDPRI Member

Sep 16, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    It's obviously because '74 was the last year that they ran on leaded gas.

nojazzhere, Doorlord and SheldonP like this.

5. Major Gruber

Major Gruber Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2012
    Colombes France
    There have been several threads about that already. Defining a year limit for vintage discussion can only be arbitrary. Stratocaster forum sets it in 1966, one year after Fender was sold to CBS. I think this is too radical as the coming years instruments are still very interesting and collectible, even if some specs change, but on my pov, strats from Hendrix area should be part of the discussion. Concerning the Telecaster, the limit is much later. 74 is the year where the famous notch at the junction of neck and body is supposed to have completely disappear, thus the Tele shape has changed. And at least this allow to discuss about the most interesting production CBS has made : the early Custom, Deluxe and the second version of the Thinline. Just as a reminder : regular tele always kept the four bolt neck plate when these three new models were set with the Three bolt tilt. The has been the very last patented invention Leo Fender had created for Fender before leaving his consultancy in 1970.

milocj likes this.

6. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    I'd say drop in quality started around 71,72. This is my mark.

No 3 bolts necks, cabs were still pine with floating baffles, no master volumes, gibson still on patent #s, etc.. etc.. To me the golden era ended in 1971 - prior to this any gibson/fender stuff is legitimately vintage.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
    telemnemonics and Tony474 like this.

7. trouserpress

trouserpress Tele-Meister

May 4, 2015
    Leipzig
    Because most of Grunge-/Alternative Rock resembles to a tea bag that's been used for the second time?

8. nixdad

nixdad TDPRI Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Now in Little Rock, AR
    Yep-bought the same one-same crap. Neck joint was more like 'micro pivot'.

9. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Friend of Leo's

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains - all classic rock now. It just hasn't sunk in with the Baby Boomers who still think it's new music.

nojazzhere likes this.

10. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    and you didn't get it...

acrylicsuperman likes this.

11. acrylicsuperman

acrylicsuperman Tele-Holic

Nov 17, 2010
    Arizona
    And the joke flew right over your head...

12. Greg M

Greg M Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2003
    Virginia
    You know you're gettin old when the stuff you listened to as a teen is now considered classic rock. I'm getting old.

tizianod likes this.

13. jansansan

jansansan NEW MEMBER!

Feb 27, 2017
    Germany
    As far as I know it was around 1974 when the supply of old quality wood became scarce for the first time. Thus, companies e.g. Fender and Gibson had to start using "lesser quality" alternatives. Remember that a Blackguard from 1950-1954 is today around 63-67 years old (when counting the years since it was build in Fullerton). However, the wood used during the 1950s was usually well over 100 years old and therefore had plenty of time to dry naturally. Most Blackguards could therefore be dated as 150 years old easily (if you count the wood's age). That, IMHO, is one of the more important elements to the fantastically balanced and resonant sound of these instruments.

*** By the way, hello to everyone. I will introduce myself soon with a post of my small but much-loved collection of telecasters. Looking forward to discussing, learning and sharing together with you all. Thanks.***

Twisted Kerle likes this.

14. homesick345

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    Ummm. People here don't believe in wood impacting sound of solidbody electrics. At the very least this is a huge contentious topic.

nojazzhere likes this.

15. nocastermike

nocastermike Tele-Meister

Apr 25, 2015
    ma
    I find it funny to see people selling late eighties stuff as vintage. For me its not a matter of the gear reaching 25 or 30 years old. Vintage in my mind represents the golden era. The fifties up to 74(3 bolt necks). Im 60 years old and been playing since 1967. I had a lovely 62 strat from 73 untill 77. Got a 77 strat soon after and man did it make me regret selling my real one. Same thing happed to me with a white tele and a les paul. The new ones were so different and inferior. We won't need to talk about the decline in the twin reverbs. So the early seventies to me is when it really got noticeable.

16. Major Gruber

Major Gruber Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2012
    Colombes France
    I guess that most people here (pre 74 forum) believe wood impacts sound of solid body electrics, I would even say, makes the sound of solid body electric, because that's what vintage guitars teach us. But that's when you want to hear what the wood can give you. It's true that if you find the sound you look for only with pedals and effects, a dumb piece of wood might do, or in any case, the perception of the impact of wood will be hidden, limited to a certain feeling of playability. When you get the vintage madness, you compare many guitars and know what a wood gem is. Taking different routes leads to make different discoveries.

Danman likes this.

17. homesick345

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    Cher ami - I don't have an opinion on the subject, despite having played all sorts of guitars

I prefer Gibson with ebony fret boards, & Fender with rosewood.

I think I can hear a difference (or preference) ; but as I said; highly contentious topic that usually end very badly :(

18. AngelDeville

AngelDeville Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2007
    Albuquerque
    My SG is a 2017 vintage

19. PelhamSG

PelhamSG TDPRI Member

Aug 22, 2017
    chicago
    I'm no expert, but id say by '74, they weren't making guitars in the "old way" anymore. Its when the old school of making guitars turned into the modern way of making guitars.

20. stratguy23

stratguy23 TDPRI Member

May 16, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I'm not sure why it was set at pre 1974, but I will say all of the '70s Fender/Gibson stuff I've played was lacking. I've played '70s Strats that got blown away by Squier stuff. It's crazy to me what some of that stuff sells for now. Just because it is old does not mean it is high quality or necessarily vintage. I agree with some others who have said vintage means to them the golden era of guitars in the '50s and early '60s. I don't think a guitar from the '80s/'90s should be called vintage for example even if it is 50+ years old.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.