Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Why is "Vintage" defined as pre-1974 in this forum???

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by E5RSY, Aug 25, 2017.

1. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    This isn't my world, but I'm curious. What happened in 1974?

Scott

2. petebrown

petebrown Tele-Meister

Sep 22, 2003
    No. Cal.
    I define it as pre-'65 myself... Both fenders and gibsons went through a big drop in quality in the period from about '63 to '66...

dodona, rjtwangs, swany and 2 others like this.

3. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Holic

Jun 8, 2014
    atlanta
    I was alive in the seventies. I had a brand new natural finished maple neck strat with the micro tilt adjustment. It was a real piece of crap. Trowled on poly finish, and heavy enough to anchor the Titanic.

I'll go with anything after 68 or so is not vintage.

brookdalebill likes this.

4. E5RSY

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    So, was '74 the first year for the 3-bolt necks? Maybe that's it.

Scott

p.s. Never mind. Tilt necks arrived in '71.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017

5. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Holic

May 12, 2016
    California
    I don't know. Why isn't Nirvana classic rock?

Big tuna and nocastermike like this.

6. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Holic

It is.
    :D

Pixies2005 and TimothyC like this.

7. warrent

warrent Tele-Meister

Sep 15, 2009
    toronto
    The short answer is the rise of the machines. Take tele's for example the body shape of the seventies tele is flatter on the upper bout because fender didn't program their numerically controlled router properly. They didn't fix it until 81. Vintage to me is pre 1970. The seventies brought cost cutting, bad ideas and a lack of quality in most american brands Martin, Fender and Gibson for the most part all have flaws that were not corrected until the mid eighties.

dodona, swany and rze99 like this.

8. E5RSY

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    So, no none knows why this forum specifies pre-1974???

9. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I can't answer the question but I will say I consider early 80s G&Ls vintage Fender as well...the man was still alive and creating original designs.

10. E5RSY

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    MusicMan?

11. BorderRadio

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yeah maybe MusicMan too, but G&L was truer to his vision, with his partner George Fullerton of course.

Big tuna, telemnemonics and E5RSY like this.

12. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Holic

Jul 31, 2014
    Alberta Canada
    Gonna keep hangin on and my 80s guitar will be vintage soon.

Big tuna and El Jeffe like this.

13. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    In the antique vehicle world, the classifications creep with time.
    35 years is "antique" for a motorcycle.
    Hard for me to imagine a 1982 vehicle being antique!
    When I bought my '64 FLH, it was still 7 years away from being antique....

Big tuna and backporchmusic like this.

14. E5RSY

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    I think the Sting Ray bass was pure Leo.

15. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Marshall went PCB and Strats lost their stagger.
    Greenback speakers got kapton VCs.
    The poly got thicker, the necks got crappier, a second string tree was added the year before.
    Likewise the Tele body got that portly detail the year before.
    I think cars took a dive along with guitars round that year, like the Chevelle might have gotten that hatchback in '74. Super Beetle appeared? The Mustang became the much maligned Mustang II the year before. Seeing a pattern?
    Maybe Disco arrived?
    The Vietnam war ended.
    Fender amps got the glued in baffle the year before, lots of stuff happened and somebody had to pick a year.

I go one year earlier, pre '73. Strats and Teles, Marshall and fender amps were IMO every bit as good in '72 as any other year, if possibly lacking a little mojo.

Big tuna likes this.

16. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Absolutely!
    IMO Leos G&L work was great enough to kick Fender off the top, but of course marketing had somewhat different plans.
    Music Man basses were pretty great, but old MM guitars don't grab me.
    Not all Leo era G&L did, but there was great stuff from his shop then.
    I have an early Leo bass, and have an early set of his MFD(?) Tele style pickups, which are IMO the only "better" Tele pickup.
    They seldom come up used i guess because nobody takes them out.

bonedust, Big tuna and BorderRadio like this.

17. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Friend of Leo's

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    1974? That seems arbitrary. I consider from about '84 and older to be vintage now. I've got an '81 UL Bassman head. I've told many people it's vintage and I've never heard anyone say "no, it isn't". It is pre-Rivera era design, so I think my vintage designation holds water.

For me the vintage threshold is always moving, somewhere around 35 years ago. If the prices are going up solely because of the age, as most well-made things from the '80s now are, it's becoming vintage.

18. kLyon

kLyon TDPRI Member

Mar 21, 2011
    US
    When I was coming up (the 70's) the real break was - as has been mentioned - the sale to CBS. So 1965, with 1966 being just fine.
    Of course, back then you couldn't give away Jazzmasters and Jaguars... people didn't look dated playing strats... nobody would touch a mustang (my first electric: a 1965 Mustang. I bought it for $35 in 1974 and sold it six months later for $50. I felt pretty pleased with the deal: it sounded terrible through my Standell Super Imperial and it wasn't what Jimi played.))
    The designation "antique" is definitely movable, but when I see someone trying to get big money for a mid-70s log I just laugh.

19. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Yeah antique, as @charlie chitlin pointed out, is specific to age, where the term vintage generally denotes a particular year, rather than a certain number of years in the past.

So for music gear it would be when stuff was great, then when stuff was still good, then when stuff was different from todays stuff.

20. BorderRadio

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    My first real guitar was a '82 G&L SC-1, and I wore it out. Had a MFD in the bridge, but it was a factory custom job with a two-point trem and a Strat-style pickup in the neck. I guess I have a real soft spot for SCs because of it. Probably not the style for everyone, but a Leo classic to me..

telemnemonics likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.