Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Why Is This Happening?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by trippercaster, Jan 13, 2014.

1. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    I've used the MinWax lacquer before Tripper , I would give it a good couple of weeks , at least 10 - 15 days before wet sanding and then only if you get no lacquer smell off it , the longer you wait the better off you are . For quick small jobs and burying headstock decals I use the MinWax quite often , I like it as far as rattlecan lacquers go . Glad you got it this time , so problems most likely on the spray equipment side .

2. Jfellows

Jfellows Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2012
    Tracy, California
    I may be the oddball here, but I usually start by smelling it, with my nose right up on it. If you can smell any solvent smell at all, it isn't finished curing. Once there is absolutely no smell with your nose right on it, I usually wait a week more. The ambient temperature and humidity and specific product involved can cause the exact time frame to vary.

However, usually in 24-48 hours it's dry enough to sand out any runs or blemishes lightly. The manufacturer's instructions on the can usually say.

For a neck, I usually only want enough coats on there to make sure that I don't sand through when I'm leveling and polishing it.

3. trippercaster

trippercaster Tele-Meister

Aug 13, 2012
    Roanoke, VA
    Thanks gentlemen, for the feedback. I think I'll give it a few more light coats tonight and call it good. Maybe some extra on the maple fretboard. Shouldn't take much sanding to get the surface ready for polishing so I don't think I'll need a really thick finish.

I have another question. If my lacquer is contaminated, could I just wipe some on some clean scrap and see if it fisheyes? Bypass the whole rig? I'd hate to start replacing equipment if the lacquer is bad and I don't want to go out and buy new lacquer if it isn't.

4. Jfellows

Jfellows Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2012
    Tracy, California
    Well, you shouldn't have to replace any of your equipment. A thorough cleaning with lacquer thinner followed by mineral spirits should do it. You haven't nailed down if the contamination is in the gun, or the airline or what, so I'd hold off on replacing, you can probably track it down.

You should be able to test the lacquer the way you suggest. And depending on what you find, I wouldn't trash it either, I would get some fisheye flowout and add it to the whole can, and mark the can. If you're worried about running it through that gun with the flowout in it, then go get a Preval sprayer for $10 or so, and use that lacquer on other stuff. Lacquer isn't cheap, so I'd find a way to use it - just my opinion.

5. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Yea ,I wouldn't trash your equipment just yet , I would try the Prevail suggestion , its a cheap way to check the lacquer on scrap and better IMO than wipe on , and that'll be another part of the problem confirmed or not .

6. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    . . .or a cheap, disposable, NEW brush you've rinsed out in lacquer thinner (and let dry). If the lacquer is contaminated, it will still fish-eye.

BTW, glad you got it moving in your direction. Neck photos look great! :!: :D

7. trippercaster

Aug 13, 2012
    Roanoke, VA
    I think Klingspor has the preval sprayers. Only about 20 miles from me so I may try that. I need to do some research on the flowout if that turns out to be the solution. I've never seen it on a shelf. Good news that I won't necessarily have to waste the lacquer. I will post any tests and discoveries. Thanks again.

8. guitargarage

guitargarage TDPRI Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Waltham, MA
    This thread has really given me a LOT of food for thought - I was also having intermittent problems with fisheyes - and it was the intermittent nature of it that REALLY puzzled me.

I do think possible not cleaning out a new plastic cup or spray gun could be one cause - or not wiping down thoroughly enough (with naptha) after wet sanding/color sanding between coats. I am going to examine my process a little more closely to see if I can eliminate some possible causes.

But - as many people recommended - I did start using 3M Smoothie - and a little lacquer retarder on warmer days - and that definitely helped my flow out and eliminated the fish eye issue.

However - I am worried it may have led to another phenomenon - one that in some cases could be a desirable effect - and in some cases definitely is not. And that is finish checking after approximately 6 months - especially after some thermal shock.

Maybe it has nothing to do with the 3M Smoothie - but the irony is that I have ACTIVELY tried to promote checking on some of my vintage refins - using freeze spray, lacquers free of plasticizers, really thin finishes and then thermal shocking - and it hasn't worked the way I see other people get it to work !

But a few recent finishes (not all of them) have shown some signs of checking after 6 months - and I'm wondering if my use of Smoothie - which roughly but not exactly coincides with when I did a few of those finishes could have anything to do with it ??

Anyone have experiences like this ?

thanks !!

9. trippercaster

Aug 13, 2012
    Roanoke, VA
    Man, you may have cracked the code for many, many people trying to get consistent checking for their relics! I hope somebody chimes in but if they don't, do some experimenting and share the results.

Where did you buy the Smoothie, and is this better or worse than Mohawk Fisheye Flowout?

10. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

Jan 7, 2011
    Washington, USA
    Which lacquer gave you these results, and also which reducer did you use? I am wondering if you may have found a desirable incompatibility issue in the products you were using.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.